Goodwood - Spitfire campaign in a mission

I was really inspired by the Epsom campaign (bravo, Bunyap & Wags!), and I just didn't want it to end. Therefore, I created a scenario where I can keep going. It's a campaign in a mission. I'll explain what it means:

Your task is to lead Dalmat Red flight of No.602 Squadron on an armed reconnaissance patrol behind the lines in the area of Villers Bocage - Falaise - Lisieux - Cabourg, but you can choose a different route too. Each time you will face different ground and air targets at different places. At times the skies will be empty, at times you'll run home with your tail between your legs after a big furball with the Luftwaffe. Oh, and did I mention it's July 17, 1944? The day 602 strafed Rommel's staff car. So watch out, he might be out there somewhere too...or not.

Cross the lines at no less than 7,000 feet due to heavy flak, then descend to lower altitudes, and let your flight call out ground targets. They have very good eyes ;)

Check the briefing for engine start and takeoff times.

DOWNLOAD:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3096046/index.php

A coop version is attached to the post.

Enjoy, I hope you'll like it! :pilotfly:

Screen_180101_135210.jpg

Screen_180101_184153.jpg

Screen_180101_190224.jpg

Screen_180101_190452.jpg

Spitfire MkIX - Goodwood - Coop.miz

Edited by Reflected

Just noticed this and went to download it but it's missing. :( Will try again later. Thanks for doing this, looks real interesting!!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Just noticed this and went to download it but it's missing. :( Will try again later. Thanks for doing this, looks real interesting!!

Missing? :O

How come? The link didn't work, or the download button?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3096046/index.php

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you think of this concept once you try. I'm currently working on an even bigger and even more randomized P-51 scenario.

Missing? :O

How come? The link didn't work, or the download button?

Clicking on the download button gave me a page saying the file was missing. Apparently I tried too soon? tried again later and got it no problem. Hope to be able to check it out tomorrow or the next day depending on how long it takes to deal with the snow that I still have left to deal with...

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Good missions Reflected thank you for them. I tried the P51 mission with a friend a week or so back one evening and enjoyed it. Few passing thoughts for you which hopefully you find constructive.

(1) Please consider a co-op version as well as the single player one. I edited your P51 mission to convert it to a co-op fairly easily although it has some obvious impacts on your triggers.

(2) Not enough flak in my view. At this time of the war the Germans were already swinging over to flak being a major part of their air defences. Especially mobile light flak guns were heavily concentrated near important points or setup as flak traps to stop fighter bomber attacks or lure them to their destruction.

(3) While editing to make it co-op I noticed that a lot of your vehicles seem to use a very complicated waypoint set to make them act as if on a patrol route. eg "atmosphere" vehicles and infantry around player start airfield. If you were to use Mist or Moose there are simple to implement methods of getting them to retrace their footsteps and then go back again or there is now the new adv waypoint action to get them to go to a waypoint of your choosing. The latter has an issue in that I think the unit goes directly straight path to the nominated waypoint which might cause traffic issues. I saw that you'd been careful to avoid taxiways etc so the mist/moose method would probably give you best results as they follow the same path back and forth.

(4) You may want to consider switching off the AI when the players are far enough away using conditions, triggers and zones as this would allow you have more units overall in the mission or give better performance if you keep it the same size. So for example when player aircraft are say 20kms from the start base you could deactivate the vehicles and infantry -essentially they become like static objects- and then reactivate them when the players come back.

Edited by Stonehouse

Thank you for the feedback Stonehouse! Good points. I find it interesting to hear you would like MORE flak. With the current amount of flak batteries my wingmen get shot down quite often, so I thought more of it would only cause frustration. I'll see what I can do.

I definitely don't have enough free time to get into scripting such as Moose/Mist, but I understand they offer far better solutions to what I wanted to achieve. Maybe one day...

I'll also look into deactivating objects.

OK very odd. In the P51 mission when we tried it we saw very little flak, couple of puffs of 88 was all. We cruised around over the Caen rail yards for quite a long while without flak and it was 109s bouncing us while we admired the new smoke effects that caught us out. Unfortunately the mission crashed before we could RTB with our damaged Mustangs to see if we'd forgotten how to land them. I did see in the editor that you'd spread each flak group out over the country side so each gun was quite distant from each other rather than grouping the guns in a group around a point you wanted to defend. Perhaps that had something to do with it?

A typical 88 battery was 6 guns placed within a reasonably close distance of each other with the fire control unit located centrally (we don't have a specific unit to represent this in DCS) and I think light flak was pretty adhoc and self directed but still would have been grouped so that a light flak company covered the same area with some sort of command point co-ordinating things.

Also a minor historical point but I'm pretty sure by the time of the landings and the battle around Caen that Carpiquet airfield was closed with the runway sabotaged by trenches and mines etc as were all airfields close to the Normandy beaches. Hence the Allies using ALGs until the fighting had moved further away from the coast and the engineers had time and peace behind the lines to make the airfields safe and restore them for use. It was more in Holland I think they tended to use captured airfields soon after they changed hands. Doesn't really matter for you but when the grass landing strips finally work you'd be better off basing Luftwaffe units on these in the south of the map (trying to represent temp landing grounds) and Evreux (which actually was a series of satellite airfields I believe rather than the single base shown in the DCS map). This doesn't impact the appeal of your mission though. Really more of a detail to think about for later on.

Ah, I see you were talking about the P-51 mission, not this one. Yes, the P51 - Caen mission is quite a "light" one. Not really historical, just some random fun over Caen.

However, I just updated this Goodwood Spitfire mission according to some of your builds. I added more flak, as well as some new random ground targets. When creating Goodwood I checked the real frontline situation, so that one should be accurate. LW fighters are all based at Evreux. You should give it a try ;)

Edited by Reflected

Do the triggers work as in singeplayer in COOP? (I'll edit in the client slots etc myself)

Great mission btw(- that is what I got to see of it before DCS ctds in 2.2 :)

Not sure, I've never created a coop mission before. The events are triggered by the leader (player) being inside a zone. I guess it should be modified to work with any of the flight members, that is if player 1 is inside zone OR player 2 is inside zone OR...etc...

• 1 month later...

Is there a relatively easy way to convert the bullseye calls, that you receive over the radio, into headings and distances? I have perhaps been spoiled by the A10C and its navigation tools, but i cannot see anything in the Spitfire's cockpit, apart from perhaps the map on the pilot's knee, that would help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it is to tell me to go learn navigation skills. ;)

edit: i have opened up the mission in mission editor and see that the bullseye appears to be set to the centre of Caens, so i suppose that a little educated guesswork might be in order, using your aircraft's position and heading relative to Caens to get to the reported target's position, based on its heading and distance from Caens? As long as you can see Caens and know that it is the bullseye, no maps should be necessary, just good spatial awareness and a reasonably quick mind. I'm going to get lost :)

Edited by Greyman

I attached a coop version to the original post. Let me know if someone wants to host, I'd love to join too! :)

Just in case you were not tracking, in DCS 2.5 OB Spitifre will cause the DCS to drop out of multiplayer to the main screen if it takes damage at the moment and if that player is the host of course everyone is disconnected.

Also AAA guns are only visible to the host in a multiplayer game right now. Maybe it will be corrected with a hotfix tomorrow. This is just to stop people wondering if they installed it right, it is a DCS problem not you or the mission builder.