Mig-21 Ext sounds

Yuya6104

I only replaces three files.

Su25BackEngine.wav is the engine and is the most audible, Su25AroundEngine.wav is the afterburner for some reason, and Su25FrontEngine.wav should be used when front of the plane.

Of course that overwrites the sounds for the Su25 as well, there is nothing that can be done about that. It's very hard to say what is hard coded and what not because such information is only obtained by trial and error.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, back from vacation and I now make a more advanced version of the Mig-21 sounds publicly available. It adds more sounds which I have not completely decyphered (with the Mig-21 modding is largely try and error) but they do generate the fuller sound that I want, while retaining the engine whine that I introduced. And I also tried to adjust the pitch to recordings of real Mig-21 engines, but nowhere does this represent a realism mod, more a collection of samples that somehow fit.

preliminary download of version 2.1

With this mod the Mig-21 gets pretty noisy and exposure over long period may not be the best for your ears ... this is a feature not a bug ;) So turn down the volume and get back inside the cabin if you can.

And let me know what you think or if there is something more you want me to do. Hopefully get round to making another preview video.

P.S. It can simply be installed with JSGME, you dont need to create any folders or something, just extract and make sure the file is not within the extra subfolder that unpacking creates.

Ok I made another short video demonstrating my latest sounds.

Here is the download to the exact version used in the video: version 2.2

It uses a different afterburner sound than the previous version, because I liked it better but when I listen to sounds for extended periods I reach a point where I have problems deciding which is better. My judgement will return in a few days or weeks when my ears have rested. For now I have put up both and then later decide later which is going to stay.

And yes, I stall the engine at the end of the video :) That is because I flew the plane entirely from outside view.

I thought I was nearly finished with this mod .. but when I realized what needs to be done, I ended up redoing almost everything from scratch. These are completely new sound recordings and I tried to match them with real Mig-21 sounds. Now let me be honest, supersonic jets tend to be VERY LOUD, and it's really not nice when one flies directly over you. The goal was too make the sound as close as possible, I may have gone overboard, but your otologist strongly advises you to NOT USE THIS!

My prediction is that once you have heard these external sounds and checked that they are good, you will get inside the canopy again and enjoy the relative silence :)

The flying in the track is shit, I am aware of that but bear with me, I need to fly the whole video from external views .. still have not find out how to make videos any other way.

Preliminary download link

I agree. There is a lot left to be desired, and the noise should arrive like a wave after the plane.

I don't understand most of the settings in the sdef files. Than means I have no information what settings like inner_radius, outer_radius, cone_inner_angle, cone_outer_angle, cone_outer_gain, etc mean. All I know is that they must somehow control this behavior to some point.

Another problem is currently that I cannot set the noise level of sound files. Some sounds in the Mig-21 seem much quieter than others, for example the afterburner, which makes it hard to achieve what I want.

The good thing is that I now at least found a good way to detect the relevant files. I simply listened to all files and if I recognized one I replaced it an empty wave file until I got a completely silenced version. That way I know now which files can be changed (they are maybe 8 or so that change the external noise of the plane), and it is not too hard to replace them, though the noise level is a problem.

I agree. There is a lot left to be desired, and the noise should arrive like a wave after the plane.

I don't understand most of the settings in the sdef files. Than means I have no information what settings like inner_radius, outer_radius, cone_inner_angle, cone_outer_angle, cone_outer_gain, etc mean. All I know is that they must somehow control this behavior to some point.

Another problem is currently that I cannot set the noise level of sound files. Some sounds in the Mig-21 seem much quieter than others, for example the afterburner, which makes it hard to achieve what I want.

The good thing is that I now at least found a good way to detect the relevant files. I simply listened to all files and if I recognized one I replaced it an empty wave file until I got a completely silenced version. That way I know now which files can be changed (they are maybe 8 or so that change the external noise of the plane), and it is not too hard to replace them, though the noise level is a problem.

you did a great job, an i know how difficult it is to mod that soundfiles from the. . . let´s call it past. :-)

there is much room for improvement from ED´s site. . .

Ok, every time I think I am finished but this is one of those things that started to take on a life of its own .. I understand more and more about the problems and limitations, and finally I had a list of files that I can work with. So I tried to make a more minimalistic version. What I did was, create more "air" sounds, the over the top noise is gone (for now) and this is also a more otologist friendly version. The prominent spool whine of the engine is gone too, it was nice for taxiing but I could not match it with real world recordings. My feeling is that it gives me more and more the feeling of flying a supersonic plane. I hope you feel so too.

I dont want to release a new version every 2 days, but at the same time I want feedback as soon as possible, and I want the work I did to matter. So it would be stupid to talk of new work and noit upload it too. Who wants to try is more than welcome.

Preliminary download version 4.0D

Again: this is different than v3. I would like to know what you think, hopefully some of the noise can be brought back in the future but this one is much much cleaner. Everything is achieved with only 4 sound files, not by overwriting a lot of files until the result was somehow right ..

I loved the whine that the V3 had but as long as the start and taxing part then I like how the V4 sounds on the air, note that when the view is on the nose airflow sound is more audible than the engine even at lower speeds. A mix of those two versions can be closer to the real thing in my opinion. Good job so far and many thanks.

And here is a vid which I tried to compare with ur two last verisons :D

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

I can confirm the behavior that BadHabit pointed out, From the front of the engine you hear mostly wind intake sound, even with the airplane still standing.

I have therefore replaced the Su25FrontEngine file with a different file, which fixes that.

As to "mixing" the desirable aspects of the two last versions, that is easier said than done. This goes especially for anything related to the afterburner.

The problem with afterburner is as such.

1. There is a dedicated afterburner sound (PlaneAfterburner.wav) but it's too quiet and I take great effort to make it as noticeable as possible. However I can not really increase the volume.

2. Another hard coded problem is that for some reason instead of the PlaneAfterburner.wav, Su25AroundEngine.wav is suddenly increased in volume. All real efforts to improve the afterburner seem to direct on this file and maybe this is the reason why people have such difficulty in modding this plane.

It's of course possible to improve the Su25AroundEngine.wav to get a better afterburner effect.

The problem with this is that the sound will be audible all the time. That means if I increase the roar from the afterburner, it will also be heard during all other stages of the flight (though a lot quiter).

That's what I meant with "afterburner sound interfering with other sounds" - I established this when I muted all other sounds. And for this reason I did away with it and replaced it with mostly more wind, which does in turn not suppress the engine sound but actually make it sound more natural (the cruising sound in the air is basically modelled after what I heard when I fly with commercial aircraft).

The good thing is that this sounds best when the aircraft is flying, and personally I enjoy more actually flying the aircraft. Hopefully the afterburner sounds can be improved again, but for now the actual cruising is most important to me.

There is another thing that I accepted, which is the weird front flyby sounds in the transonic range, from ca 350 - 450 knots. While the airplane flies towards you at such speeds it sounds kind of weird and that pertains will all kinds of different wave files, so I think I will have to accept it as well. I am not sure what an approaching airplane sounds like when it is getting near the sound barrier so for me personally that is not an issue.

Now as to the spool whine of the engine, that imo simply does not add up once in the air. You also have these weird effects when the afterburner kicks in, that the sound suddenly jumps up, and then down again when it disengaged.

Anyway, most of the work was a compromise, I hope you understand that, and the most important goal to me was to make this realistic and exciting while flying in the F2 view, and I think it does.

OK. Here is the result of fine tuning I described above. Frontengine is now much different without the excessive air intake sound, transonic flyby is a bit weird but that seems unavoidable. Afterburner engage / disengage without anything odd. Afterburner quieter than v3. Everything is else is pretty much in a state where I would be happy to call this a finished version. Hopefully I can get back to flying now.

Preliminary download version 4.1A