Steel Winter - a Multiplayer co-op campaign for A-10C's & A-10A's

Hey Winston_60 & thanks for this campaign!

I have flown the first mission yesterday with a friend and had good fun. Some remarks below in the spoiler window:

OK, my 2 cents regarding the mission:

THE PROS

I really like how the Mozdok airbase looks, the other aircraft and pieces of equipment are very carefully placed and give the base a feeling of being alive. Also I like how the OP Charlie (was it Charlie?) looks like.

A very nice touch with not giving player the TGP and forcing him to use MAV as a replacement (I understand that it is done for those flying in A model, but it is a very nice move nevertheless).

Good balance between fun and difficulty rating, placing SA-19 on the first convoy made it challenging but not overly difficult (it would have been a piece of cake with the targeting pod).

Good voiceovers, I especially liked the introduction :)

THE CONS

It is just a personal thing, but I'd love to have a back story developed a little bit more - who are we, why are we there and whom we are fighting. Makes the missions more believable. I didn't read description of other missions, perhaps it is explained better, but I would expect some kind of introduction.

The timing between tasks - instead of giving 20 minutes I would consider introducing an F-10 option for players to contact command and inform that they are ready for tasking OR launching second part of mission after 20 minutes if they don't (actually 15 minutes would be enough). On our sortie we managed (or rather - my flight lead did) to take out entire convoy with a few GBUs which left me with my stores intact. So some flexibility on timing would be welcome.

I would reduce the starting loadout to make it a bit more challenging and realistic - give 2 MAVs instead of 6 (IRL 6 are not used often if at all because in that configuration they may damage the tyres), 2 CBUs each, some Mark-82s and perhaps rockets.

All in all a good fun, will try mission 2 on Thursday if all goes well and give my feedback then.

Cheers,

• Like 1
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Thanks for the comments baltic_dragon. I'm always looking for ways of improving these multiplayer missions. Thanks for taking the time to report your experiences. I wish there were more comments and suggestions on the missions, what people like and what they don't like about them and why. I had not produced a pre-campaign story but here's the idea. Granted, it's a wildly fictitious storyline from an alternate World:

Our squadron of A-10's are part of a select United States air and ground combat unit that was invited to Russia to participate in a good-will joint training exercise with the Russian military, similar to the USA's Red Flag but fully integrating ground warfare into the training program. Air and ground forces from Germany and The United Kingdom are also represented here for this prestigious event. A few months after our arrival, reports and rumors have come in from various sources and news agencies of a rogue Russian General's attacks on the civilian population and the looting of local towns and cities, even full scale assaults on Russian military units and bases.

After a period of acclimation to the cold climate and feeling confident that we can now work effectively with the Russian forces, this new coalition of the USA, Germany, the UK and Russia has been tasked with locating the General and stopping these brutal attacks on the local population and isolated Russian military units. Hard intel on the General's forces is limited, but he is known to have under his command a division of armored vehicles and tanks and approximately 50 aircraft and helicopters. His troops are loyal and well paid from the spoils stolen from the local towns and cities that have been attacked, and will likely fight to the end.

Our mission is to apprehend the General, alive if possible, to stand trial in a Russian court of law, and to decimate his forces to the point that they disband and are no longer a threat. Reports of attacks and atrocities in the Mozdok area indicate that he has a large presence here and is recruiting from the Russian military units that he has defeated.

Your squadron has been requested at Mozdok Airbase to help drive this rogue General and his forces out of the area. Other coalition forces will be arriving in the next few days so your main objective until they arrive is to maintain control of Mozdok Airbase. Targeting pods for the "C" models were lost en-route to Russia, but we expect them to be found eventually or new ones flown in from the USA. For now we have plenty of IR and TV Mavericks, rockets and cluster munitions, iron bombs and ECM pods.

See below regarding your remarks and thanks again for the comments and suggestions:

Timing issues, and other errors, are present in mission 1 and 2 and hopefully are minimized or handled differently in subsequent missions. I will probably at some time update all these missions when they become broken from some ED update and at that point I will also include the improvements in addition to the necessary fixes to maintain newest version compatibility.

In the later missions, plenty of time is given from entering the cockpit to end of the voice briefing, to rearm or take a more realistic or your preferred loadout. I've used the x3 hardpoint for the mavericks because in mission testing there's just two of us in "A" models and it seems like everyone rearms to the x3 hardpoint anyway. I will, in future missions especially in the 4 to 6 player mission, equip the "C" models with the x2 mavericks. These missions are quite long and repairing, rearming and refueling are usually needed and dependent on everyone's individual skill level. Hopefully I've made these missions attractive and playable for all and allowing for each server admin to use their own game settings.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Mission 5 uploaded. See the first post.

Please report bugs and problems here. Enjoy!

Edited by Winston 60

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Note: There was an error in the first upload. If you were one of the 2 people who downloaded, please get the repaired files.

• 2 months later...

Mission 6 uploaded. See the first post. Please report bugs, problems and questions here. Enjoy!

There is some randomness in this mission. It has a chance to play out differently each time you fly it. For more info, read the spoilers below but only after you have flown it once.

There's four motorized convoys in the mission.

1st convoy: no chance the General is in this one, but it will set up the mission and let the convoys disperse.

2nd convoy: it's a coin flip (50-50 chance) he will be here.

3rd convoy: another coin flip whether he's in this one or not.

4th convoy: He will be here if not in the 2nd or 3rd convoy.

Don't forget to seek out the Easter Egg after you get the General and land at Kutaisi. Just taxi to the most northeast parking revetment near the Comms tower.

Edited by Winston 60
  • Like 1

Uploaded Version 2 for Mission 6. Fixed two small bugs.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bug fixes and improvements in the 2 to 4 player missions 1 thru 5. New versions uploaded, see the first post.

Some minor improvements were made and some small annoyances were fixed in Missions 1-4.

In Mission 5: If you protect the Su-34 on it's journey home and it survives to land, the "mission complete" messages are given. The bug occurred after the Su-34 landed, taxied for awhile and then de-spawned because it could not find a parking space. After de-spawning, the "failed mission" sound clip and messages would wrongly appear.

Edited by Winston 60
adding

• 6 months later...

so our squadron did this whole campaign twice. once the original and second we modified the missions (hunaf skin, more wind, more snow, limited weapons...). this campaign is one of my all time favourite. thank you again Winston_60!

enjoy our video about it:

• Like 1

Thanks knix15. Great video! Although recent patches have broken some things in these missions, I'm glad you still enjoy them. Our squadron is flying them again right now and I've had to make some hasty repairs so they work properly again in ver 1.5.7

Once 2.5 is out and fairly stable and if I'm still around, I'll update them all and perhaps make a few new ones.

Edited by Winston 60
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just looking at this campaign for use by our group. However, we have several inexperienced members and the initial mission, specifically defeating the Tunguska is a problem.

I note that early on in this thread, the Tunguska missiles were described as IR. This may be part of the problem, since I had understood them to be radar guided throughout their flight.

Can anyone confirm which is the appropriate defence: flares or chaff.

There is also mention of a x6 magnification capability on the Mav-C, is anyone able to confirm this and advise how it is selected?

Just looking at this campaign for use by our group. However, we have several inexperienced members and the initial mission, specifically defeating the Tunguska is a problem.

I note that early on in this thread, the Tunguska missiles were described as IR. This may be part of the problem, since I had understood them to be radar guided throughout their flight.

Can anyone confirm which is the appropriate defence: flares or chaff.

There is also mention of a x6 magnification capability on the Mav-C, is anyone able to confirm this and advise how it is selected?

Tunguska has IR missiles, you could have just looked it up on wikipedia. It has a radar though, to search for targets and to aim the radar guided AAA cannons.

Flares should work against IR missiles, chaff and ECM (AAA mode) should work against the radar guided AAA.

China hat fwd short will change the FOV of a Maverick if it is selected as SOI.

Tunguska has IR missiles, you could have just looked it up on wikipedia. It has a radar though, to search for targets and to aim the radar guided AAA cannons.

Flares should work against IR missiles, chaff and ECM (AAA mode) should work against the radar guided AAA.

China hat fwd short will change the FOV of a Maverick if it is selected as SOI.

The Tunguska's 9M311 missiles are radio command guided, not IR. Target tracking is either by radar or the gunner looking through a magnified sight.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Tunguska's 9M311 missiles are radio command guided, not IR. Target tracking is either by radar or the gunner looking through a magnified sight.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Oh, you are right, my fault. I must have mixep it up with the Strela 10 or something :doh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Any news on 2.5? Would like to fly it too with my squadron :)

DCS 2.5 Open Beta Nevada - Golf - A-10C - AV-8BNA - CA - F-15C - F/A-18C - Ka-50 - MiG-29 SA342 - Su-25T - SU-33 - TF-51D - UH-1H - :pilotfly:!

Windows 10 Prof - Ryzen 2700X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING - Palit GeForce Super JeStream 1080 TI on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440 - 32GB RAM @ 3200Mhz - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Saitek Pedals - 2 x 7" LCD behind Thrustmaster MFDs

• 4 months later...

Have a look at the missions in my signature; Operation Wax Wings and the New Soviet Republic series are well suited to a small flight of A-10s. Ops Hydra and Skyhook have a helo-specific tasking but you'll still be able to fly the mission without their absence interfering too much. The only item of mine you won't be able to make any real headway on is Operation Lead Sky.

I also recommend checking out Operation Bactria as well as anything by the user "deephouse" though these may require some finagling to get working with DCS 2.5 as the terrain has changed drastically since the missions were designed.

Edited by feefifofum