Dynamic Campaign Engine

MBot

On 1/30/2022 at 5:47 AM, MBot said:

Yeah I have been keeping away from posting much here because most interactions have been about technical support, installation questions and such, which frankly I do not have much interest in. But in fact I have been quietly working on DCE almost continuously for my own enjoyment.

Major areas of improvement have concentrated on Cold War style low level penetration tactics. I have created a system for low level route generation, an IADS, improved AI attack tactics (which I have already released separately) and an ATO generator that can do more complex coordinated multi-target strikes (like time coordinated support sweeps, CAPs, tankers, striking targets from multiple axis simultaneously, striking adjacent defenses etc.). I am just now experimenting with TOSS bombing a target, which distracts AAA sufficiently that another flight can level-bomb for example a runway without getting hit (Tornado anyone?). Everything is written to work 100% AI only, with the player just dropping in.

Another major item has been cyclic carrier ops, which took almost 6 months to develop. This includes carriers turning into the wind for launch/recovery cycles, completely new custom written AI marshal ops for CASE I/II/III (returning aircraft have to wait in the air for the next recovery cycle), fuel checks in the marshal and sending AI to recovery tankers to take just enough fuel required for recovery, and a major rewrite of the ATO generator (every Time on Target must be additionally coordinated with launch cycles). That has been a pretty big project and frankly it isn't working flawless yet due to some DCS AI-isms and bugs.

I wanted to release a new version of DCE for a while now, but I think this needs to come with a new reference campaign that serves to test and validate all changes and demo the new capabilities. I have worked on and played a number of different campaigns over the years but after a while I am usually more interested in working on new ideas instead of doing public releases. I enjoy having a codebase that I am free to make radical changes to and try new stuff without having to care about backwards compatibility for things in the public.

Though for about a year I have been working towards a Tomcat campaign which I want to release once both the Forrestal and the AI A-6 are available. The Mirage F1, A-7E and F-4E occupying a lot of my thoughts as well.

No problem.

I’m curious if this project is still alive, or whether you have moved onto other things. Personally, I was so excited about the idea of incorporating cyclic carrier ops into a DCE campaign.

I basically stopped at some point last year. There were just too many insurmountable AI problems. I could never get the AI to do what I envisioned DCE to be.

Instead I have been actually flying a lot more for the last 1.5 years and had a good time. I spend a lot of time in multiplayer, for example on Enigma. But after many years of trying hard, I basically abandoned the belief that a realistic (semi-)historical scenario "grand campaign" is possible with DCS.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 12/11/2023 at 7:45 PM, MBot said:

I basically stopped at some point last year. There were just too many insurmountable AI problems. I could never get the AI to do what I envisioned DCE to be.

Instead I have been actually flying a lot more for the last 1.5 years and had a good time. I spend a lot of time in multiplayer, for example on Enigma. But after many years of trying hard, I basically abandoned the belief that a realistic (semi-)historical scenario "grand campaign" is possible with DCS.

Sorry to read that Mbot 😳 

You made a lot to DCS for me because without your DCE I think I wouldn’t have fly regularly and buy so many modules ! DCE is for me the best engine to fly in a realistic environment. 
With my friend Miguel21 we tried to develop MP for DCE  and our group GC22 really like to fly such interesting missions 😜

But I understand that it can be really disappointing to see AI never doing what we are asking them to do or changing after some updates … it needs so many tests sometimes 😱

Thanks again for all your work 👍

We will try to maintain DCE spirit as long as possible waiting for an hypothetical dynamic campaign system from ED 😀

[/url]All known Dynamic Campaign Engine Campaigns

Last DCE news : Crisis in PG - Blue version

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 6:02 PM, PB0_CEF said:

We will try to maintain DCE spirit as long as possible waiting for an hypothetical dynamic campaign system from ED 😀

hi, it seems not so hypothetical:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Panavia Tornado GR4 is a real need for DCS