MiG-21bis Dynamic Campaign: Desert Fishbed 76

MBot

The radar will not warm up when I use this campaign. I also get the bug where flares/chaff will not dispense.

The GCI is pretty worthless, and without radar this campaign will have to wait for the bugs to get fixed.

Have you considered using the EWRS script for this campaign?

I'll try again in a few months.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 1 month later...

I have to say MBot, being limited by current DCS engine you did amazing job. However I'm having problems with MiG's loadouts. For example R-13 visually seem to be loaded onto MiGs, but in fact they are missing from some player and AI MiGs. This can be distinguished by missing pylon, so the missile is hanging in the air. Also I can't equip fuel tanks, but this may be intentional as you stated that some weapons are not available.

Yes it seems that sometimes during the latest updates, the warehouse inventory at Groom Lake got screwed up a little (R-13M and fuel tank not available). I will have to correct this when I will the make the next revision of this campaign.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated first post with version 1.4 with some small updates.

Due to the bug with severe FPS drop when multiple MiG-21 stand close together, at the moment this campaign is still largely unplayable though (especially if you use VR).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm enjoying it. Way better than the default boring one.

Quick question tho; how are we supposed to 'intercept' 14 ships(mostly F-5s) with only one wingman? I'm constantly getting missions which I'm outnumbered by so many. In addition, Both mission description and AWACS have been directed me to nowhere but more or less the exact spot around east of Las Vegas(8+missions), almost within range of enemy SAMs, and the enemy CAP would usually just stay within that the AA coverage until I go in hot suicidally.

I feel like I could just end the mission even before starting up the engine. Does it sound right?

Edit: My tactics right now is literally drag them to my base and let the air defenses deal with them.

Edit#2: If Desert Fishbed is supposed to be something similar to Guardians of the Caucasus, then I'm 300% sure Desert Fishbed is currently bugged. I've probably flown 40+ sorties, ALL orders are, as mentioned, pointing me exactly at the same spot, facing more or less the same amount of F4s/F5s(which only circle above Las Vegas every single time). Since interception mission only launches after the single B-52 finished bombing, there's no way I could catch up. If I were to startup and take off within 2mins and go afterburner all the way toward it, the B-52 would be on short final of its base before I'm within SAR range(as well as their AAs). Not to mention, I've never seen a single allies flight flying at all.

Edited by Lymark

• 1 month later...

I updated the first post with V1.05 which runs on the latest version of the Dynamic Campaign Engine. This is a proforma update only provided as is. Frankly I haven't played the MiG-21 in a long time and I am really not sure how well this campaign plays at all.

What do you think, is it worth it to keep this one updated or should it be left to die?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Noticing an issue with this, where there appear to be no munitions available other than bombs.

Thank you Mbot for your great dynamic campaign Guardians of the Caucasus, I often played it a while ago!

As I tried out the Desert Fishbed campaign I also noticed that weapons are missing for all Soviet planes. I managed to fix this with following solution:

It appears that all AA-Missles for the MIG21 are not avaible at the Red airfields. So..

Open "Desert Fishbed 76_first.miz" in "...Mods\aircraft\MIG-21bis\Missions\EN\Campaigns" and base_mission.miz in" MIG-21bis\Missions\EN\Campaigns\Desert Fishbed 76\Init" in the DCS mission editor.

Select the 'Blue' airfield near Las Vegas and Copy it's equipment to all 'Red' airfields.

When you save both missions after editing, the first mission will be broken because the player plane will spawn into a transport plane. You have to edit the transport plane's starting potition. Runway starting position worked for it.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I have tried to use the above method to re-equip the Red bases but still no joy.

Has anyone tried and succeeded please?

Maybe you clicked on "Paste" but without checking "equipement" right next to it !

Worked for me.