Side stick vs Centre stick...

ScottyBS

That's quite a pull :joystick:

it's really eye opening to see the actual physical "struggle" a pilot has to go in some maneuvers, something we can only imagine while playing TopGun in our favorite FlightSim

but isn't it computer generated resistance with FBW? you don't actually move anything, just ordering the computer

but isn't it computer generated resistance with FBW? you don't actually move anything, just ordering the computer

In the F16 you have a theoretically "unlimited" resistance as the stick doesn't move almost at all, and the little move it has has completely no effect on control surfaces.

You input data to the FBW for the corrections you want to make via the pressure sensors in the stick. The more you push/pull the higher the pressure is applied and is fed to the FBW that will then make all its calculations and decide how much and in what manner deliver to the actual control surfaces via the hydraulics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

In the F16 you have a theoretically "unlimited" resistance as the stick doesn't move almost at all, and the little move it has has completely no effect on control surfaces.

You input data to the FBW for the corrections you want to make via the pressure sensors in the stick. The more you push/pull the higher the pressure is applied and is fed to the FBW that will then make all its calculations and decide how much and in what manner deliver to the actual control surfaces via the hydraulics.

so why would you program the stick to be too strong for one hand?

Those not ready to spend 500 bucks might want to try this mod:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=245968

It works surprisingly well.

Only downside is the ridiculous shipping costs outside of the EU. I'd be happy to put in an order and distribute by mail, if I get up to about 10 interested people.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

so why would you program the stick to be too strong for one hand?

To filter out as much as possible any unwanted inputs under high-g loads is my guess

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

I know a guy who has flown on an F-16 once and he said the controls felt surprisingly light.

They are very light, flew it a few times from the backseat (not a pilot). Didn't take much effort to move the jet, hell I accidentally kicked the rudder during the base turn to final. Gave the pilot a little surprise. :pilotfly: Couldn't feel the rudder pedal, it was that light of an action. Moving the stick for aerobatics was simple light pressure, but when you wanted to pull some G's well you better increase the strength in the pull. :joystick:

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

This principle is nicely illustrated in the following video (~5:40)...

And also shows you exactly why perfectly modeling a sim just like the real aircraft means you invariably rip wings off or end up in a deep accelerated stall whenever you try to pull up quickly.

YOU have to make up for that lack of response in an unintuitive way.

While the real F-16 is a Force sensitive FBW, I would still want to fly it in DCS with FFB just so there was some way to feel what the aircraft was doing. Classic Fidelity vs. Usability.

And also shows you exactly why perfectly modeling a sim just like the real aircraft means you invariably rip wings off or end up in a deep accelerated stall whenever you try to pull up quickly.

YOU have to make up for that lack of response in an unintuitive way.

While the real F-16 is a Force sensitive FBW, I would still want to fly it in DCS with FFB just so there was some way to feel what the aircraft was doing. Classic Fidelity vs. Usability.

One of the advantages of a FBW system that you basically can't rip the wings off or stall the airplane, regardless how fast and/or strong you pull.

What lack of response do you mean? Response is instant and FFB wouldn't change a thing if the required force would be 1lbs or 100lbs. If you e.g. need the maximum pitch rate, you simply pull the stick fully aft.

In most (if not all) FBW planes you don't feel what the plane is doing. When I flew my first FBW airplane IRL this lack of feel was really disappointing since it feels more like playing ace combat than flying a real plane.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

It would be interesting to know why Soviets/Russia has not taken side stick in use...

Or most aircraft manufacturers for that matter. The vast majority of modern combat aircraft still have a center stick.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

FBW really comes into play in very unstable aircrafts (on purpose, as lack of stability makes for better manouverability, within reason ofc).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

Oh, the Sukhoi Su37 has got a sidestick, right according to F16...

Yes, one demonstrator but not taken in production.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.