HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

interesting - out in April also

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

:thumbup:

Yeah that is a huge plus. Oculus needs to get off their butt regarding PC-VR. They well might lose this loyal customer soon.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It should be a big step up - it's not only more than twice as many pixels, it's also an RGB screen instead of a pentile screen so the sub-pixel difference is massive. In pure pixels it's 2.1 million vs 4.6 million per eye, but in sub-pixels it's 4.1 million vs 14 million, in the same FOV. There should be essentially no screen door whatsoever with this headset and the extra detail should be massive. Just for comparison, I'm hearing that the Reverb will have 25PPD, this is what the other headsets have right now (I stole this from someone else, so the Pimax 5K isn't here):

The Reverb is a massive leap in PPD - basically to the level of the Pimax 8KX but in a normal 110deg FOV.

6gRCnAr.gif

And yes 25PPD is "almost" the holy grail of 30ppd where things start to look "good enough" From there I think its gonna be slow hard slog to retial resolution of 70ppd.

The only thing that worries me is how well DCS is gonna handle it. The Pimax 5k is kicking DCS's ass by all accounts. We need that VR optimization.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

If I were you, this is what I would be looking at getting.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Decision made. Reverb will be my next headset, providing we don't have the whole Odyssey shenanigans where it is unavailable in Europe.....

Unless valve offers something mind blowing in the next few months.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I'd asked this earlier with no response: I've gotten used to using Oculus touch controllers in the cockpit to manipulate switches. Do WMR controllers work in cockpit, or would I be stepping back to mouse?

I was going to get a Rift S as long as it had even an incremental resolution jump, but then they announced this one - and the Rift S doesn't compete on resolution, unfortunately. If I'm going to buy another headset, I want it to be the most futureproof I can.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Sounds like the Rift S is going to be only a minor improvement over the Rift based on specs in the announcement. I was expecting something more significant.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

Yup, so this is now my next goto headset for DCS.

Rift-S is a bad joke. Its probably fine for more casual gamers though. But its lower res than O+, no headphones etc.

I'd asked this earlier with no response: I've gotten used to using Oculus touch controllers in the cockpit to manipulate switches. Do WMR controllers work in cockpit, or would I be stepping back to mouse?

I was going to get a Rift S as long as it had even an incremental resolution jump, but then they announced this one - and the Rift S doesn't compete on resolution, unfortunately. If I'm going to buy another headset, I want it to be the most futureproof I can.

You might check into pointtrack here in the IO forum from miles.

• ED Team

I went for the WMR DELL Visor as a starting point for VR, and it has served me well. The HP Reverb looks like it will be the best option for sure, will be interested to see the working reviews once it is released.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Harlikwin, hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but to avoid any possible confusion, it's called PointCTRL and the link to the thread is here.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861

It really looks a great device for getting around using an interface device while still being able to use joystick and throttle.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Ok, so I then infer that WMR controllers do not work out of the box in DCS, like the Touch controllers do? Too bad. I’ll have to try that solution or go back to mouse again.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Ok, so I then infer that WMR controllers do not work out of the box in DCS, like the Touch controllers do? Too bad. I’ll have to try that solution or go back to mouse again.

Don't infer that, I have no idea. I use a rift, but point control is gonna be my goto solution here once Miles starts shipping em.

Don't infer that, I have no idea. I use a rift, but point control is gonna be my goto solution here once Miles starts shipping em.

Ok cool, thx for clarifying!

There is some issue here. Now it is definitely confirmed by Oculus. Rift CV1 is dead, not producing anymore so touch controllers as well. It is obvious now how all this work based on implementing just touch controllers need to be pushed into other controllers as well especially WMR because insideout tracking proves itself as future of VR tracking. Everybody switching to it even Vive with Cosmos.

So don't worry about it ED should do that as well or we will not have any support at all.

About concern for HP performances, everybody working on the implementation of Fixed Foveated Rendering technology. This mean increase of performances by Super Sampling just on the center, so called Sweet Spot and not peripheral which is blurred by default and if you want to check it you need to turn your head anyway to get it in your sweet spot.

That way hardware need for supersampling will reduce in half compared how it is now.

As well higher native resolution less need for SS. So this 2160x2160 should need resources similar to Vive PRO or O+ with much better clarity

That way hardware need for supersampling will reduce in half compared how it is now.

As well higher native resolution less need for SS. So this 2160x2160 should need resources similar to Vive PRO or O+ with much better clarity

Is not to doubt your expertise in the matter wormeaten but is that the general consensus from others who know about this? I struggle to keep up with all of the technicalities of this VR caper because I have a full time job and a wife and two kids but I’m trying to get a sense of which MHD to look at in to the future. I like the idea of the wide FOV with the Pimax 5k+ but the HP Reverb could be a much better image if DCS can push the pixels.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Is not to doubt your expertise in the matter wormeaten but is that the general consensus from others who know about this? I struggle to keep up with all of the technicalities of this VR caper because I have a full time job and a wife and two kids but I’m trying to get a sense of which MHD to look at in to the future. I like the idea of the wide FOV with the Pimax 5k+ but the HP Reverb could be a much better image if DCS can push the pixels.

I know you already know this, but a general consensus is......

It's a case of what is currently important to you right now.

With current hardware and the DCS terrain engine as is, you can go for Pimax FOV and reduced image sharpness, or go for the likes of the Reverb with a modest increase in FOV but a sharper image.

Since I only know the CV1, image clarity is king and I know nothing of wide FOV, so what I never had, I won't miss too much.

Others that have pimax say never underestimate the impact of the wide field of view.

So you with your specs you could have clarity and reasonable performance.

A wide FOV and reasonable performance.

But you cannot have both.

As some old duffer on a monochrome tv once said... "it's make your mind up time".

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

To put some perspective on performance - this headset should be playable on a 1080ti/2080/2080ti (unless there's something else other than pure pixel count to take account of). Right now I play with an Odyssey (1440x1440 per eye) at 1.4PD and MSAA x2 at playable frames (45+) with a 1080ti. That comes to 2016x2016 per eye with the PD - so not a million miles off 2160x2160 per eye of the Reverb. I've run the Odyssey before at 1.5 with no MSAA (which is exactly 2160x2160) and that was playable, though had a bit of shimmer due to no MSAA. So I'm expecting to be able to run this at 1.0PD with MSAA either off or at x2, with a playable 45+ fps. Obviously if you're running less than a 1080ti/2080/2080ti, then you might struggle.

There is some issue here. Now it is definitely confirmed by Oculus. Rift CV1 is dead, not producing anymore so touch controllers as well. It is obvious now how all this work based on implementing just touch controllers need to be pushed into other controllers as well especially WMR because insideout tracking proves itself as future of VR tracking. Everybody switching to it even Vive with Cosmos.

Technically Touch Controllers are not dead, as they will also come with the Rift S. Just different tracking method and little different design.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ok thanks all. Will the 45FPS be requiring some iteration of reprojection to get it to resemble 90fps? Thoughts.

I run constant 45, ASW off to avoid artefacts. I don’t notice an issue until I get around 30, then it starts to get uncomfortable.

In short: 45 is still fine for most, I think.

To put some perspective on performance - this headset should be playable on a 1080ti/2080/2080ti (unless there's something else other than pure pixel count to take account of). Right now I play with an Odyssey (1440x1440 per eye) at 1.4PD and MSAA x2 at playable frames (45+) with a 1080ti. That comes to 2016x2016 per eye with the PD - so not a million miles off 2160x2160 per eye of the Reverb. I've run the Odyssey before at 1.5 with no MSAA (which is exactly 2160x2160) and that was playable, though had a bit of shimmer due to no MSAA. So I'm expecting to be able to run this at 1.0PD with MSAA either off or at x2, with a playable 45+ fps. Obviously if you're running less than a 1080ti/2080/2080ti, then you might struggle.

Yup, I agree. The only question is how good it will look and how much antialiasing you can do with it. Based on your figures, I agree PD1.0 and MSAAx2 should be doable for the Reverb with top end cards. You might also get a boost from not running any PD, since its not just having to render at the higher res, it then has to sample the scene and downscale it too with is computationally expensive.

However, I believe this will mean running DCS through Steam. Regarding Pixel Density, the HP Reverb displays 25 pixels per degree, to give you some idea, the HTC Vive Pro produces 14 and the Rift 7.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hp-reverb-gives-microsoft-vr-a-high-res-boost/

I'd asked this earlier with no response: I've gotten used to using Oculus touch controllers in the cockpit to manipulate switches..

Quick question, when you use your Touch Controllers in the cockpit how do you control pitch, roll, trim, dcms etc? Normally, you’d use a HOTAS stick so how do you handle it now?

Edited by twobells

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rig: W10 PRO 64 bit, Intel 7700K, Asus Maximus IX Code, 32GB G-Skill Ripjaw DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 1TB M.2 970PRO SSD Primary HDD, 4TB Storage, TH Warthog, Oculus Rift, 27" Samsung 4k Display. 2x Wheel Stand Pro v2 (Hotas & Stick) + Warthog Stick Adaptor

I run constant 45, ASW off to avoid artefacts. I don’t notice an issue until I get around 30, then it starts to get uncomfortable.

In short: 45 is still fine for most, I think.

Thanks for that. Sounds promising indeed. I’ll stick with the CV1 Tift for now but I’ll be watching this space closely. Hopefully they’re going to sell in Australia. Can’t get many of the decent HMD down here off the shelf, in fact I can’t think of any that don’t need to be shipped directly from OS. :huh:

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.