RVV-AE Tips

FlankerMan

1,620km/h!!!

Not really related, but I just hit 1,620km/h in the MiG-29S! Of course, the canopy was off, no external stores were being carried (not even ammo, chaff, or flares), the landing gear, flaps, and airbrake were all retracted, the computer was yelling 'maximum speed' at me, and afterwards, either the engines turned off, or I ran out of fuel (which would also result in them turning off). Still, I think 1,620km/h counts! Do any of you agree?:thumbup:

How come the R-77 is so short-ranged?...I have a book that says the R-77 can go 80km, when the in-game encyclopedia says 50km, and the actual range is more like 25km. Why all the difference?

FWIW, the max kinematic range I've seen in the sim is around 82 km (track attached). The problem, of course, is that this range exceeds the radar's ability to provide a lock (on a DCS aircraft with enough speed to produce these ranges). So you won't be able to launch until around 60 km. And, at the speeds involved, the missile will have only traveled about 40 km before the kill. All of which illustrates just how "slippery" a term "range" is, when talking about missiles as others have indicated.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176293&stc=1&d=1516185915

Not really related, but I just hit 1,620km/h in the MiG-29S! Of course, the canopy was off, no external stores were being carried (not even ammo, chaff, or flares), the landing gear, flaps, and airbrake were all retracted, the computer was yelling 'maximum speed' at me, and afterwards, either the engines turned off, or I ran out of fuel (which would also result in them turning off). Still, I think 1,620km/h counts! Do any of you agree?:thumbup:

We talking IAS or TAS? I have to admit, that's pretty impressive, if we're talking IAS. Though there's still room to grow...

attachment.php?attachmentid=176295&stc=1&d=1516187329

R-77 Range Test v F-14.trk

82km.thumb.jpg.978531c46e24fed868bd1ab24a1273c7.jpg

2620.thumb.jpg.0062a21cb029dd0467fe1e90633e6c87.jpg

2150.thumb.jpg.92aee71aea0f97ecfe90f2dee5bf9f1b.jpg

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I'm talking TAS...How'd you manage 2,150km/h??! Was the computer yelling 'maximum speed'? By the way, do you have labels off in that first picture, or are you really getting LA that far from the target?

Actually, if you enlarge the middle image of the three, you'll see a TAS of 2650. Both that and the IAS of 2150 were the products of a high speed dive at about 25° pitch. The TAS was at about 5000 m, the 2150 was later as I was leveling out and slowing down. I shut Nadia up with RShift+N because she was annoying me.

I don't use labels and, yes, that was when I got launch authorization immediately after locking the target. I would have gotten it sooner if the radar was powerful enough to provide the lock. If you haven't already, watch the track and you'll see exactly how that worked.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Um, how exactly do I open the track? It always wants me to look for it in the app store.

:) You download it to your computer and open it in the sim. From the Main Menu, select REPLAY. Then select the track and load it. The default location for saved tracks is the Tracks folder in your Saved Games folder. That's where I'd put it to make navigating to it easier.

_____

I remember that in DCS is not simulated the weapons detachment due high speed, the SU-27SK manual say that the maximum speed with weapons is about 1200 to 1300 km/h, or the missile can detach from the pylon. I think that the MIG-29 should have similar limitations.

su-27_10.jpg

su-27_11.jpg

Where with weapons in the options 1-2 should not exceed of 1300 km/h, and 3-7 of 1200 Km/h

There is not speed limits for the options 2 x R-73 in positions 7, 8, and 2 x R-27ER1 (or 2 x R-27R1) in positions 1 and 2.

Edited by JunMcKill

I reached mach 2.4 in the F-15 @ 35,000ft, or about 2,550kmh and zoom climbed to roughly 88,000ft :) The sky turns dark and you can see the stars that high, try it sometime! Load external tanks to feed it and jettison them as you drain them. The fuel will feed your acceleration, and as you drop them, you'll reduce drag/weight and be able to go even faster.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I remember that in DCS is not simulated the weapons detachment due high speed, the SU-27SK manual say that the maximum speed with weapons is about 1200 to 1300 km/h, or the missile can detach from the pylon. I think that the MIG-29 should have similar limitations.

In the German Luftwaffe manual for the MiG-29, there is a chart listing limitations in regards to speed and acceleration(Gs) for external stores.

When carrying e.g. two R-27Rs on the inner wing pylons(the only ones compatible with the weapon), there is no speed limitation other than those that exist for the aircraft as such in various flight regimes. There is a slight limitation in regards to acceleration - max +8 /-1.5 Gs for the R-27R, while its +9/-1.5 for the R-73.

For fuel tanks however, the maximum allowed speed is Mach 1.5 with the centerline tank and 0.9 for wing tanks. Acceleration limit is +4/-1.5 for the centerline tank when full/partly full and no limit when empty - for the wing tanks its +4/-1.0 when full/partly full and +6/-1.0 when empty.

JJ

Okay, I watched the track, and it's very impressive, but I have a couple questions:

1-Was there any trick to what you did? You were flying lower, and I think slower, than the enemy.

2-Unrelated, but how come I can't get the pilot body to show up in my cockpit?

I also set a new speed record: 2,000km/h IAS.

Okay, I watched the track, and it's very impressive, but I have a couple questions:

1-Was there any trick to what you did? You were flying lower, and I think slower, than the enemy.

No tricks. If slower and lower it was more accidental than purposeful and neither the speed or altitude difference were all that much. The range available is due to both aircrafts speeds and altitudes. If either aircraft had been subsonic or at low altitude, R-Max would have been substantially less.

On a slightly different note, when guiding a SARH missile for the kill, I try to stay below the target so that my radar is in a look-up situation. But that wasn't the case here.

I also set a new speed record: 2,000km/h IAS.

Do you have it selected in the Options Menu? It reads something like: "Show pilot body when available."

Speed is good. :) Speed saves lives.

_____

Not all of them have pilot bodies. I'm unsure if the MiG-29 does, I usually disable that because the body sometimes blocks instruments.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Not all of them have pilot bodies. I'm unsure if the MiG-29 does.

Yeah, I reenabled it, and the Su-27 had a pilot, but the MiG-29S didn't.

I guess I've got about all the information I need. Just one quick thing: Is it more advantageous in a MiG-29S to have 4 R-73s+2 R-77s, or 2 R-73s+4 R-77s, or 2 R-27ERs+2 R-73s+2 R-77s, or, lastly, 2 R-27ETs+2 R-73s+2 R-77s?

Yeah, I reenabled it, and the Su-27 had a pilot, but the MiG-29S didn't.

I guess I've got about all the information I need. Just one quick thing: Is it more advantageous in a MiG-29S to have 4 R-73s+2 R-77s, or 2 R-73s+4 R-77s, or 2 R-27ERs+2 R-73s+2 R-77s, or, lastly, 2 R-27ETs+2 R-73s+2 R-77s?

I sort of like your last option myself: two medium-range ARH missiles, 2 medium-range IR missiles and 2 WVR heaters. But it really depends on the task and how quickly, if at all, you expect the BVR duel to turn WVR.

_____