Problems customizing key commands in options menu; possible Win10 issue?

I have tried a number of things and I'm at a loss as to what the issue could be. I am troubleshooting another PC with Windows 10, and when trying to customize the Harrier controller menu the best we can get is shown in the screenshot (see the red line near the bottom).

This issue occurs in both Release and OpenAlpha, but troubleshooting was conducted in OpenAlpha.

As you can see, the Sensor Select Fwd key is redded out. This happens with manual inputs as well as with diff.lua imports. in fact, most of the time the Sensor Select Left is redded out as well. It's even worse when we don't clear the default keymappings (e.g. LWIN+x).

Sometimes, rebooting clears this error, but then the error comes back in-game during a session.

We have tried a repair, and we also deleted the Saved Games\DCS.OpenAlpha folder and forced a virgin configuration. I have also analyzed the diff.lua files and compared them to the diff.luas generated when we do manual configuration and found no anomalies. the diff.lua in use works perfectly on an unmodded DCS install (mine) with Windows 7. Though this is for a TARGET profile, the same issue for the keyboard displays whether TARGET is running or whether the default controllers are active.

I'll let Nephilim provide his hardware specs.

EDIT: I have also uploaded the diff.lua we were using to test.

Controlsoptions.thumb.png.9bbe07eecb802a12197954b2af04b2bd.png

TARGET AV8B kb v205t.diff.lua

Edited by Home Fries

Here are my system specs:

1. MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard

2. Intel i5 7600K

3. Asus 1080GTX 390.65 drivers.

4. SoundBlaster Z Soundcard

5. Thrustmaster Cougar

6. Thrustmaster MFD

7. 2 - Acer x1261P DLP Projectors

8. nThusim Warping software for curved screen.

9. nVidia 3D Vision emitter, glasses

10. Win 10 64bit

Some other software I run is Asus GPU Tweak II, Powerchute (UPS), nThusim 4.1.296.

other then the buttons not being reconised I have no issues playing DCS just the occasional CTD and never had this issue with the Profile..

If you need more info or have any question Please let us know..

dcs.txt

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Seems I spoke to soon after about an hour flying the problem resurfaced.. I am unsure what to do at this point..

I will keep trying to see why it worked then it did not..

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I found some things out but not sure what the cause of the problem is.. I think at some point for some reasong it seems to just get corrupted and blam problems with the profile..

Was thinking at first it was a few things buit right now I am back to where I started and eliminating things did seem to help but I don't think any of those are the source of the problem..

At first I thought I needed to run the DCS.exe as an admin but right now I dont have that enabled and it seems ok right now.. I also thought it was the mission I was using that was corrupted and caused the profile to crap out but I don't think that was it either..

I will fly some more tonight and see what happens but maybe it is just my PC. I did reinstall Win 10 and a newer version of the builds. not that that mattered but I still had problems with the profile on this build..

so will have to do some more digging to find the root cause..

EDIT: I had a working Profile and all was well I let DCS Run in a mission for a while and was not flying just sitting in the pit at the Ramp came back a while later and the Profile was Corrupted..

So it must be DCS related as I was not even flying I just ran the mission and walked away and the Profile got corrupted..

Edited by The_Nephilim

OK I think the shortcut was not set to run as administrator, I redid the profile and set the shortcut on my desktop to run as administrator and the problem has seen to been taking care of..

I will do some more testing and if the profile gets corrupted I am going to make sure the shortcut was set as admin..

OK I think the shortcut was not set to run as administrator, I redid the profile and set the shortcut on my desktop to run as administrator and the problem has seen to been taking care of..

I will do some more testing and if the profile gets corrupted I am going to make sure the shortcut was set as admin..

Do you mean shortcut for TARGET profile?or to run DCS as admin?

Have to try...

i have the exact problem except that i have both FWD and LEFT sensor select switch redded out, using homefries's profile and lua files.

PS my specs are in signature, and i use Win 10 x64 falls creator update build.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hi Guys,

I had the same issue and solved it (for now...to see if it will resurface).

to solve it, I went into the:

Saved/Games/DCS/Config/Input/AV8BNA/joystick

Saved/Games/DCS/Config/Input/AV8BNA/keyboard

I had seen that I had thrusmaster combined lua files...deleted them.

Then I tried again homefries profile and it did work

Hi Guys,

I had the same issue and solved it (for now...to see if it will resurface).

to solve it, I went into the:

Saved/Games/DCS/Config/Input/AV8BNA/joystick

Saved/Games/DCS/Config/Input/AV8BNA/keyboard

I had seen that I had thrusmaster combined lua files...deleted them.

Then I tried again homefries profile and it did work

I am wondering by doing this what exactly it is doing?? and why don't you need those lua files there??

EDIT: Well I removed those files then S3 and Shift function ddid not work I would NOT Reccoemnd this fix..

Edited by The_Nephilim

https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/46889-joystick-assignment-problem-windows-10/

see the first post, maybe not help, but gives more info about the "amazing" behavior of Win10 with joysticks.

Its not a unique case, i saw in other places that manytimes win10 ramdomly reasign controlers ID every time you connect snd disconnect your usb hw controller even on the same port.

In games/simulators were the controller are sorted and identified using the ID, you have problems on Win10 everytime you reconnect it.

Edited by stavka
  • Like 1

Its not a unique case, i saw in other places that manytimes win10 ramdomly reasign controlers ID every time you connect snd disconnect your usb hw controller even on the same port.

In games/simulators were the controller are sorted and identified using the ID, you have problems on Win10 everytime you reconnect it.

OMG, that freaking figures! When we were troubleshooting the usual suspects, we should have also treated the OS as a usual suspect as well! :doh:

This also explains why it pays to delete the existing controller files whenever you plug/unplug USB devices or have a power outtage on an external hub.

Well I removed those files then S3 and Shift function ddid not work I would NOT Reccoemnd this fix..

This is only part of the solution. Since DCS now sees a new device in Windows, you should also rebuild your Joy_Btn30-32 modifiers. Then when you import the diff.luas, you should be able to use the shifted functionality as well.

OK I see but running as admin seems to work for me so far ;)

OK I see but running as admin seems to work for me so far ;)

i tried to run both DCS and cts as admin but for me the items are still redded out....

Would you mind to give me step-to-step tutorial on how did you solve it?

Thanks

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

Here's what I have for the appendix in the next version of the TARGET Setup Guide. Since I'm running Windows 7, I'm going by logic. Please let me know if there is anything that should be changed or expanded upon.

Windows versions after 7 have an unholy pair of features that can cause frustration for people with complicated controller setups. First, Windows 8 and above defaults HID devices to be subject to power management in that items that are not providing feedback to the PC (like the Cougar MFDs) are automatically shut down by Windows. Additionally, devices that are unplugged and plugged in (even in the same port) are assigned different Device IDs by Windows; this is even the case for devices that were put to sleep by Windows power management.

The TARGET profile alleviates the power management issue to a certain extent, but since the Thrustmaster FAST middleware creates a virtual device every time you load a TARGET script, the device ID issue may be even more prevalent than the issue of simply cycling USB hardware. The extent of the issue is currently unknown, but its instance in DCS World has been seen on multiple occasions with keyboard mappings to the Sensor Select Switch Up and Left keys on the AV-8B Harrier module.

OBSERVED BEHAVIOR

This issue appears to be limited to the AV-8B module, and specifically the Sensor Select Switch mappings. While most often the default SSw Up and Left mappings show incompatibilities (displayed by red lines as shown in Figure 26 below), this issue may present itself in other instances.

Figure 26 Errors due to Conflicting Device IDs

While Figure 26 shows a single line and a non-default keymapping, the problem exists for default keymappings as well. The problem likely exists because DCS has assigned the mapping of this particular controller to a different Device ID than Windows currently has assigned to the peripheral (e.g. keyboard).

RECOMMENDED WORK-AROUND

Note: the following solution assumes that only the keyboard Device ID is causing issues. If you experience this issue with other devices, please follow these steps for those devices as well.

Since the issue is that DCS World has saved a diff.lua for a Device ID that is no longer valid, the solution is to remove the existing diff.lua, then re-import the profile’s diff.lua back into DCS World. The procedure is detailed in the following steps, using the AV-8B Keyboard as an example:

1. Navigate to your Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\AV8BNA\keyboard folder.

2. Delete keyboard.diff.lua.

3. Launch DCS World, navigate to the Options -> Controllers menu, and select the AV8BNA module.

4. Ensure there are no red rows denoting incompatibilities like those shown in Figure 26.

5. Select the Keyboard column, select Load Profile, and load the keyboard diff.lua for the TARGET AV-8B profile.

6. Save and exit from the Options menu.

If the incompatibilities involve the Thrustmaster Combined virtual device, you will need to make the following adjustments to the profile:

1. Navigate to Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\AV8BNA\joystick.

2. Delete Thrustmaster Virtual Game Controller (root) {Device ID}.diff.lua or Thrustmaster Combined {Device ID}.diff.lua.

3. Launch DCS World, navigate to the Options -> Controllers menu, and select the AV8BNA module.

4. Ensure there are no red rows denoting incompatibilities like those shown in Figure 26.

5. Load the Cougar or Warthog diff.lua for the TARGET AV-8B profile.

6. Re-apply the JOY_BTN30 through JOY_BTN32 as described in the Adding Modifiers section.

7. Save and exit from the Options menu.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Additional information on these Windows issues can be found in the following forums:

https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/46889-joystick-assignment-problem-windows-10/

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/11261-please-fix-joystick-id-issue/

If you can expand upon either the problem or the solution, please post your comment to the Eagle Dynamics forums.

Edited by Home Fries

Here's what I have for the appendix in the next version of the TARGET Setup Guide. Since I'm running Windows 7, I'm going by logic. Please let me know if there is anything that should be changed or expanded upon.
It worked for me, but i still have to delete the luas and reload every time i start DCS

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A5010 utilizzando Tapatalk

Edited by VirusAM

• 1 month later...

Well I am still getting issues this time with the weapon select for the KA-50 on the IFFOUT-IFFIN button on the Cougar..

• 2 months later...

Has someone found a solution or a workaround for it?

I have still this issue in m2000 and av8b (both Razbam) and homefries's profiles...

If i delete the luas and reload it then the bindings works, but erytime the next time i will load DCS trim left (mirage) and sensor select switch left and up (av8b) are redded out and not functioning