Audio Mirroring with Oculus Rift

John Hargreaves

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to get audio mirroring working with DCS and the rift, so I can send the sound signal to a bass shaker as well as the headset. I have project CARS2 working through both devices, but you can select different sound devices from within the game. DCS doesn't seem to have anything like that, and when I enable mirroring in Oculus settings, and set windows to use the speakers, the sound only comes through the speakers. Any ideas?

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Hi thanks for the link, I saw that when I was searching, but that is from 2016 - I haven't tried that exact method because I think it has been superseded in Oculus Home. There is now a mirror audio button to select but that doesn't seem to do anything for DCS. That older method might be worth a try though, and I have another lead I got from the Aerofly FS2 forum. I'll post back any findings. To be honest, the quick method of unscrewing the rift headphones and using my normal ones is currently the quickest solution, but a bit of a faff.

Thanks again for the assistance Boris thumbup.gif

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Hey John, I went through similar issues with my Oculus and seat shakers. The game I was playing was Elite: Dangerous and never even tried DCS at the time, but the problem was the same.

The solution that everyone suggests is the VoiceMeeter app to mix Windows audio to different outputs. I COULD NOT GET THAT TO WORK. I never got anything to work with Oculus mirroring. Maybe you can have better luck than I did, apparently that works for a lot of people. I took the headphones off the HMD, hooked up surround speakers, and played that way.

Ultimately the only fix I could find was to move to SteamVR/Vive. Works perfectly there. I know "buy another VR system" is not an acceptable answer.

Yesterday I ran up an app call SimShaker. It runs in the background and sends tailored bass tracks (one for afterburner, gear up/down, etc) to your desired sound output. Works independantly of mirroring.

Ultimately that might be your best bet and cheapest option. I didn't need it to get around the mirroring since I'm on Vive now, but this is a hands-down improvement either way.

For example: The F15 sounded great to me when just running my shakers off the regular sound channel. Nice thumps for each stage of the afterburner. A10C thumped great when going over seams in the apron. Then I jumped in the Su-33. Nothing. Not all planes are equal apparently.

SimShaker fills all of that in, without any mirroring/mixing baloney. Hope it helps!

• 5 months later...

Hello John, guys. Did anybody manage to FLAWLESSLY mirror subwoofer channel from DCS? I tried Voicemeer and https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/37895/how-to-mirror-audio-on-two-devices-soundcard-and-rift instructions. They both work but give audible micro-stutters about once a minute. Drives me nuts. Tried every option in Voicemeer, no go. The Oculus Home mirroring option indeed does not work!

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR