AIM-54 Probability of Kill study

Karon

Hey folks,

I put together a study of the current implementation of the AIM-54A Mk60 and AIM-54C Mk47. It took me a while, but I finally completed most of the tests, for a total of 3360 AIM-54 fired. I plan to do some more tests later on to offer a better representation of the PK model, at the moment relied to a series of histograms.

I am aware of the fact that the current implementation is not realistic due to a number of reasons and I have mentioned such issues in my articles multiple times: from the amount energy wasted by the Phoenix in different moments, to the fact that it goes pitbull automatically. I look forward to seeing Heatblur finally getting access to the code and implementing a more realistic representation of the missile as soon as possible. Imo, what we have is a good compromise but of course we would all want the best and more realistic representation possible.

Nevertheless, this is how the current AIM-54 works in a number of different scenarios. I organized the tests to cover specific situations rather than being homogeneous. The first article introduces the modus operanti and each criterium I followed.

1. Introduction
  2. Low Altitude
  3. The Altitude Factor
  4. Medium and Long Range

I'm tempted to leave a TL;DR version here but there are simply too many things to consider and talk about. You may find some errors here and there, unfortunately the spare time is never enough so I tend to rush. Feel free to point them out!

Lastly, a big thanks to HB for creating what is, imo, the best experience DCS can offer :)

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

As usual, the limits of ED's missile code shows. Hopefully HB will be able to clean up ED's mistakes at some point.

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

Great read Karon. Thank you for posting your analysis!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control