Any concern over Harrier development?

imacken

I've only just started on the Harrier, and am a little concerned about comments I have read on these forums regarding the stalling of development on it.

Is there any cause for concern on this, and what is the background to these comments? Is there a likelihood that it will be finished and a manual published?

I sincerely hope so!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant see why. They are already dedicated on it since the 19 release, and they have stated that they wont begin work on the new projects, until the Harrier and Mirage are complete, starting with the Harrier. So there is a dedicated push to finish the Harrier now.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

OK, good to hear!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The good news is that there have been updates lately.

The less than good news is that we have no idea what razbam considers a finished model.

Will the various bombing mode problems and missing features get fixed?

Will the FM issues get looked at?

Will the various sensors get fixed/added?

Will we get a realistic INS?

Will get missing MPCD pages like the WRD page?

No one knows other than razbam and they aren't talking. So that's the concerning bit.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

This seems like one of these situations that happens at times in DCS development. I can’t understand why ED can’t insist on devs making a statement regarding their future plans for their modules to ease users concerns.

I think they are doing a good job considering that I've read that this is a side-job for them..

It's just very frustrating when you are waiting almost a year for something you want fixed (TDC Axis). I think it was first reported last June 2018.. And it's been in a status of 'IN TEST' for 3-4 months!?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Well, side job or not, there should be a commitment to the consumers who have paid up to $70 to make them aware if their product will be finished.

Out of interest, what is the TDC axis issue?

Ot took about a year to get the ASL line sort-of working as well. It still doeant compensate for wind or movers as it should.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

RAZBAM makes a beautiful external model. They really struggle when it comes to replicating avionics that actually have some fidelity to them. Hopefully they'll figure that part out before moving on to even more complicated modules, becuase there is no way they'd be able to recreate something as complicated as a Strike Eagle given their existing products. I think we have all tuned into which 3rd Parties are struggling since the Veao Hawk debacle. I for one refuse to throw anymore money at a 3rd party that could fold up, taking what I've paid for with them.

Edited by sideshow

Seems they have hired another coder so sounds like they mean to keep pushing towards finishing what they started.

(It was on their Discord site)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

RAZBAM makes a beautiful external model. They really struggle when it comes to replicating avionics that actually have some fidelity to them. Hopefully they'll figure that part out before moving on to even more complicated modules, becuase there is no way they'd be able to recreate something as complicated as a Strike Eagle given their existing products. I think we have all tuned into which 3rd Parties are struggling since the Veao Hawk debacle. I for one refuse to throw anymore money at a 3rd party that could fold up, taking what I've paid for with them.

sadly have to agree with you

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yup. Sad but true. The state of harrier avionics is a bit dismal at the moment.

My advice is don't buy anything from them early access. Based on past interactions and performance I think the only reason they've said they will focus on av-8/m2000 is because the mig-19 didn't quite help their wallets as much as they'd hoped.

Hopefully this will change, although I kind of doubt it since they said the 19 was good to go and ED had to step in and say..."yeah, naw."

I like a TON about the harrier and mirage, but get equally frustrated every time my mission gets screwed because of another bug. Or I have to try to work around something that's been broken for a year and quite central to the proper employment of the jet.

Don't buy hopes or promises...that's the only way quality levels will rise.

I've only just started on the Harrier, and am a little concerned about comments I have read on these forums regarding the stalling of development on it.

Is there any cause for concern on this, and what is the background to these comments? Is there a likelihood that it will be finished and a manual published?

I sincerely hope so!

No need to be concerned at all!

The Harrier for sure has some issues - just like any other module as well.

Development will at times be slow - just like any other module as well.

New bugs will show up - just like any other module as well.

Things that once worked will break - just like any other module as well.

You get the drift.

The Harrier is a great module and worth every penny you paid for and I´m sure it will be completed eventually - as much as it can be given the eternal Alpha state of DCS anyway.

Naturally the people that are happy with the Harrier don´t post as much here because they are busy enjoying it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You get the drift.

The Harrier is a great module and worth every penny you paid for and I´m sure it will be completed eventually - as much as it can be given the eternal Alpha state of DCS anyway.

Naturally the people that are happy with the Harrier don´t post as much here because they are busy enjoying it.

Hmm, I’d like to believe you, but your opinion seems to be swimming against the tide here.

Given all that I’ve read, and a whole bunch of issues I’ve encountered in the last few days, I think I’ll leave the Harrier and go back to the Hornet and Tomcat.

Still, I’ll monitor the situation and come back to it if there is progress with development in the future.

You get the drift.

Well said. It does what I want it to do, which is aeros and ground attack. Good fun module, I manage to enjoy it how it is, despite being constantly reminded by the glass is half empty brigade that I shouldn't be enjoying it because 'X' isn't working properly.

As I:

a) Don't use 'X', so it doesn't bother me.

b) Don't know what 'X' is for so it doesn't bother me.

c) Just don't care about 'X' if it isn't useful for nap of the earth low level bombing or 6 ship formation Aeros.

Edited by Harry.R

Well said. It does what I want it to do, which is aeros and ground attack. Good fun module, I manage to enjoy it how it is, despite being constantly reminded by the glass is half empty brigade that I shouldn't be enjoying it because 'X' isn't working properly.

The issue is not that ‘X’ isn’t working, it’s whether ‘X’ will EVER work, as development grinds to a halt once the EA cash has rolled in.

Hmm, I’d like to believe you, but your opinion seems to be swimming against the tide here.

Given all that I’ve read, and a whole bunch of issues I’ve encountered in the last few days, I think I’ll leave the Harrier and go back to the Hornet and Tomcat.

Still, I’ll monitor the situation and come back to it if there is progress with development in the future.

You will miss a lot by that especially since the Hornet is far away from finished.

Regarding the tide, this is (a)social media. The people complaining most are the loud minority.

Edited by FSKRipper

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You will miss a lot by that especially since the Hornet is far away from finished.

Regarding the tide, this is sicial media. The people complaining most are the loud minority.

Been with the Hornet since day 1 and I have every confidence in ED and their commitment to finishing it. The Hornet sees major updates on a regular basis and ED are very vocal about their commitment. A lot more than can be said about RAZBAM from what I can read in these forums.

I have found these forums to be very measured, in general, and not in any way typical of what you refer to as ‘social media’.

I have no personal opinion on the state of the Harrier development progress. That is why I asked the question here in the first place! I had heard from various sources that serious commitment from the devs to finish the Harrier was in question, and that there were fears that it would turn into another ‘EA forever’ module. Now, that may be wrong. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I will go back to the Hornet and Tomcat and monitor progress on the Harrier. Here’s hoping for a successful outcome!

Been with the Hornet since day 1 and I have every confidence in ED and their commitment to finishing it. The Hornet sees major updates on a regular basis and ED are very vocal about their commitment. A lot more than can be said about RAZBAM from what I can read in these forums.

I have found these forums to be very measured, in general, and not in any way typical of what you refer to as ‘social media’.

I have no personal opinion on the state of the Harrier development progress. That is why I asked the question here in the first place! I had heard from various sources that serious commitment from the devs to finish the Harrier was in question, and that there were fears that it would turn into another ‘EA forever’ module. Now, that may be wrong. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I will go back to the Hornet and Tomcat and monitor progress on the Harrier. Here’s hoping for a successful outcome!

Fair enough. Just a reminder when building your opinion on a module: If you search through 2 or 3 subthreads and see almost the same 10 people bitching around I won't give a cent on their opinion. You will also find those groups in the Tomcat and Hornet forums so you will likely get an idea what I mean...

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

A lot of us here have the harrier and fly it, it is a capable aircraft in DCS already and I have no doubts it will continue to get better, all it takes is time money and very hard work, and RAZBAM are a great team and will achieve their goals I am sure.

Most of the people who question or doubt have no idea what it takes to develop aircraft, they are just happy to sit back and criticise.

If you have no patience, then wait, it will save us all the back and forth of the forum, and I wouldn't trust those "sources" make your own mind up. :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

[…]Most of the people who question or doubt have no idea what it takes to develop aircraft, they are just happy to sit back and criticise.

And some have the expertise and experience to evaluate the situation and are not less concerned than regular joes who have made a leap of faith in supporting a 3rd party developer.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Fair enough. Just a reminder when building your opinion on a module: If you search through 2 or 3 subthreads and see almost the same 10 people bitching around I won't give a cent on their opinion. You will also find those groups in the Tomcat and Hornet forums so you will likely get an idea what I mean...

This, it’s the same for every aircraft in the game. A few people that have pre-conceptions about what the experience should be like, and when it’s not they expected, they hound the developers over and over again. Check people’s profiles and look up their posts, if you see nothing but negativity and criticism, probably time to stop listening.

If you notice too it’s never people that actually fly the aircraft, or work on it. The few actual pilots and maintainers posting have nothing but praises for the developers work. (Bug and cat)

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Thanks, I know these forums well, which is why I asked the question in the first place. As I have said already, personally, I have faith in ED to finish a module. The same cannot be said of all 3rd party devs. But again, I have had no experience of RAZBAM, but I have been interested in the responses in this thread, and I will monitor progress here with interest.