Bad Rocking In Flight Model (for me)

VAF [136] Striker

I keep having trouble controlling this bird. When I take off and try to get into stable flight and trimmed out the plane constantly rocks left and right slightly. I'm getting some nose rocking as well but not as bad. I've tried tuning the curvature but it's constant and annoying. I'm not having this happen in any other module.

Anyone else experiencing this problem and what to do to correct it or is that just how the thing performs?

I do have a Thrustmaster HOTAS.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That would explain it if that's the cause. Didn't realize it need to be enabled now. Even on a hot start?

i'm not sure, but i'd assume that it is on when hot starting. even when starting cold, you don't have to turn it on manually, but just give it enough time for the calibration to finish. you have a warning light flashing, when it's not aligned yet...

no, if you can even manualy toggle it (not sure), it would be with the autopilot system controls. but as mentioned above, it turns on automatically after the alignment is complete.

have you checked your keybindings? maybe your pitch and role got automatically assigned to another axis also, or to another comtroller. gamepad f.e.?!

Nothing mapped to anything else except for the standard keyboard bindings. And the only one I'm having trouble with is the Mig29. I have all the other FC3 birds and this is the only one causing me trouble. It happened at the same time the flight model was updated to the PFM or whatever that update was back awhile ago.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's very sensitive, so you might want to play with curves and dead zones a little. Also, the ATT HOLD mode is your friend. I assume that Mig-29 RL pilots use that option a lot (would be nice if we could confirm that), as it helps keeping the plane steady when needed.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I've been adjusting the curves and dead zone and have toned it down some but it's still there. So you are confirming that this is how it is supposed to be? I would at least like to know if that's the case.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am in no position to confirm that, as I am not a RL subject matter expert or 29 pilot, but if it's how it's supposed to be, I feel a lot more comfortable using the ATT HOLD and AP OVRD buttons regularly. In the real plane, those are mapped conveniently on the stick to do just that. :)

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

double check flaps!

Definitely not the flaps but I did find out one thing that helps. When I use the "Y" key for the deflection override, the problem goes away. Apparently this is tied to the SAS system in some way, or at least that's how I'm finding it to work. I did a search of the manual and there's no mention of this control. I would like to assume that it's something similar to the g-limit override in the F-18? I found another thread that mentions that this is the function. But why would it affect the stability augmentation?

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FWIW, I’ve never experienced uncommanded wing rocking in the MiG-29. Not sure where the problem lies but it shouldn’t normally be there.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

FWIW, I’ve never experienced uncommanded wing rocking in the MiG-29. Not sure where the problem lies but it shouldn’t normally be there.

RGR, I figured that was the case but thank you for the confirmation. I'll keep investigating it.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't speak for your specific problem, but I've had wing rocking sometimes rarely happen because of the massively sensitive trim.

Trim in the Mig-29 is way too sensitive. So sensitive, that if you engage the autopilot, it will actually fight it in an attempt to find a 'neutral point' for the trim, and may fail to do so. Look toward the enunciator panel and see if the 'Trim Neutral' light flashes on and off very quickly while this is happening. If it is, that's the autopilot going over the neutral trim point, and then back over it again in a constant oscillation as it tries to right the aircraft, which it will never do if this is happening.

If this starts happening, you have to find a way to trim it out yourself with stick to trimmer. This usually only happens to me if I have an asymmetric load due to firing ordinance.

I keep having trouble controlling this bird. When I take off and try to get into stable flight and trimmed out the plane constantly rocks left and right slightly. I'm getting some nose rocking as well but not as bad. I've tried tuning the curvature but it's constant and annoying. I'm not having this happen in any other module.

Anyone else experiencing this problem and what to do to correct it or is that just how the thing performs?

I do have a Thrustmaster HOTAS.

Hi Striker

is this it :

@14:35

Oh, the autopilot is on? Yeah, I heard before it's designed for a specific speed range, if you go outside it's ''designed for envelope'' (cruise speeds basically) it has trouble controlling it. Same issue in Frogfoots, etc

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

My impression from the OP’s post was that it was not while using the autopilot. If he was, then that’s the issue—roll trim.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Hi Striker

is this it...

No, nothing to do with Autopilot but thanks for that video.

Turn off autopilot or slow down. Its not able to keep up.

Again, not Autopilot related.

I'll try to get a quick video of the problem I'm having and post it today.

Edited by 75th-VFS-Striker

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, nothing to do with Autopilot but thanks for that video.

Again, not Autopilot related.

I'll try to get a quick video of the problem I'm having and post it today.

A short track, if possible, would be preferable in terms of problem solving.

Attached are a quick air-start mission and also a track file (just you/me in the air). Curious as to what happens 1) if you fly using the MIS file and 2) if your wings rock in this TRK file.

Wing-Rock Test.miz

Wing-Rock Test.trk

Edited by Ironhand

_____

• 3 weeks later...