Giving M2000C one more time. Epic FAIL.

DmitriKozlowsky

So I thought to give M2KC one more try. Epic fail. I am unable to get past INS and engine start. YT videos kind of suck, and even start checklist is a NOGO. Nothing seems to work.

Lets start with INS.

In checklist and YT tuts, the initial heading entry is missing from tutorial and checklist. After entering L/G and alt, with INS in ALN mode, I press VAL. Nothing happens . No alignment. Special Options is set to require alignment.

Engine Start

Battery ON

Ground Electric Power connected

Starter Fuel Pump: ON (to the right)

Fuel pumps: both ON switches to right

Fuel Cutoff: Close? This I don't get. WHICH WAY IS CLOSEd? Switch UP to the left, or DOWN to the right? Either way I cannot get a start.

Engine Start: PRESS for one second. NOTHING HAPPENS.

Situation sucks. It is so frustrating. Follow checklist, FAIL! Try to follow YT tuts from Grim Reapers on cold start. I can't see what narrator is doing. I cannot tell what he is pressing and switchology. I suspect that checklists from user files/downloads is incorrect.

The Training Cold Start mission is likewise. I loose the narrator, I cannot understand what the virtual IP pointing to.

Remember you have to change back to sts mode once you have pressed Val. This will enable you to track alignment progress. If I get a chance I can go through a full start up taking good screenshots. Although from memory the one on chucks guide is very very good and correct.

OK, I did that. Nothing.

Same for engine start. With Engine Start Cover open, and all engine fuel switches to ON (to the left). Pressing and holding ENGINE START for 1 second does not work. Ground power is on. I get no engine start.

Very likely that there is switch or setting check step is missing.

I am amazed, at how utterly bad the instructions are.

On a cold start situation

- Battery On

- Ground Power On

- INS Align Procedure

To start Engine :

- Switch the 2 fuel pumps, the cutoff should be switch to the right.

- Flipping the red starter cap is going to switch on fuel pump starter so no need to pay attention.

- Never touch the the Ignition/Ventilation Selector Switch VENT (should be right)

- Be sure to NEVER touch the Throttle before the engine reach 11% power. If you touch Throttle, engine never start. If so, you must press a little button between the Throttle stick and the seat to switch back throttle to off.

When trying to start the engine, make sure the throttle is actually in the cutoff positon and not the idle position. Press the red button to the right of the throttle to verify this.

And by the way: The Grim Reaper videos are indeed the worst tutorial videos out there. They might be entertaining, but they're incredibly bad at teaching stuff.

Edit: Jajaouaib was talking about the same button as me, as this is an often overseen issue:

- Be sure to NEVER touch the Throttle before the engine reach 11% power. If you touch Throttle, engine never start. If so, you must press a little button between the Throttle stick and the seat to switch back throttle to off.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It seems the throttle, by default in training mission, is on IDLE at start. So hat explains failed engine start.

But the INS fail, I just do not get at all. Even though it is so similar to Harrier, with which I am fairly good with. In Mirage after alignment, everything green, no fail light. With INS set NAV, and STS. L/G readout is blank dark, height is 000. I go through INS alignment process, and afterwards , as soon as INS mode is set from ALN to NAC, the readout go blank. Like I did nothing. Since I do not understand where I made an error, I am unable to correct myself.

I think that there is a missing step, and I beleive that it is, after alignment, set INS MODE to NAV and set INS OPERATIONAL MODE to N.

As I said, the instructionship is poor. The checklist, from download area is incomplete. Where and how exactly, I can't say, until I master M2KC cold start and compare to official checklists.

The Grim Reapers tutorials, on YT, may G*d bless their souls, are difficult to follow. What happens is that I loose track of the guy is referring to, as his pointer movements are erratic. But even other people's tuts, looks like they were made with early releases, are incomplete and confusing.

Hey,

The throttle in training is just the same as any other mission, I have no control of it. Just make sure that before you do anything your throttle is in the idle position.

As for the INS I don’t know what is going on there. I did it few times already yesterday when updating the campaign for the new cockpit and it worked fine every time, and so did the training mission.

From memory:

1. INS alignment knob to standby

2. INS selector knob to Lat / Long display

3. Insert coordinates from the kneeboard for LAT / LONG

4. Move the alignment knob to ALIGN position

5. Press VAL button on INS

6. Wait around 7 minutes (you can show the alignment progress by switching the other knob, don’t remember the name now, with one right click)

7. Move the alignment knob to NAV.

Is that what you do?

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

PEBCAK. I returned to the M2k for the new cockpit after months and started it up from memory. Walk us through what you are doing and we probably will be able to tell you what you did wrong.

1.: INS mode to ALN

2.: INS param to L/G

3.: Enter LAT from kneeboard (press 1 to select LAT window, press 2 for N (assuming Caucasus), enter coords, press INS)

4.: Enter LONG from kneeboard (press 3 to select LONG window, press 6 for E (assuming Caucasus), enter coords, press INS)

5.: INS param to ALT

6.: Enter Altitude from Kneeboard (should be correct already)

7.: Press VAL

8.: INS operation selector to STS to see alignment progress (left window shows stage and remaining seconds, right window shows absolute percentage remaining)

9.: on 0% remaining INS mode to NAV

10.: INS operation selector back to N

Done, your INS is now aligned.

On Engine:

1.: doublecheck if throttle is in cut-off

2.: IGN/VENT selector to G or D (IRL this is changed between both from start to start, iirc)

3.: Fuel shutoff open (right)

4.: L/R Fuel pumps to M (marche = on)

5.: Open ignition cover, this sets starter fuel pump to M (marche = on)

6.: Press ignition button for a second or two

7.: Engine begins spooling up, at ~10% RPM set throttle to idle

8.: At 60% RPM close ignition cover, turn off starter fuel pump

Your engine is now running.

Edited by Shimmergloom667

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

1: Just follow the training missions and default campaign by BD..it's top notch

2: "Try to follow YT tuts from Grim Reapers on cold start."

That's your problem, the GR's are 100% trash and should be used only for humor and mockery

Thats cold. I am sure they mean well. Its just that they are poor instructors, or I am just too slow. After all I am not British, I am merely Polish-American (with little bit of Belarusian). Their speech is 1000 miles/per second and has lots of blather, that just adds to confusion. They need to cut down on acronym use.

• 2 weeks later...
Thats cold. I am sure they mean well. Its just that they are poor instructors, or I am just too slow. After all I am not British, I am merely Polish-American (with little bit of Belarusian). Their speech is 1000 miles/per second and has lots of blather, that just adds to confusion. They need to cut down on acronym use.

Now I'm curious: did you manage to get the INS alligned and the engine running with Shimmergloom667's procedure list ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

1: Just follow the training missions and default campaign by BD..it's top notch

2: "Try to follow YT tuts from Grim Reapers on cold start."

That's your problem, the GR's are 100% trash and should be used only for humor and mockery

And yet I don't see them on here talking shit and being obnoxious, even in the face of people such as yourself. Be careful when accusing someone of being trash, lest it be a reflection of yourself.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I got it sorted. INS aligns OK, to me at least, with engine on or off. Pit is still dark in some places, but much better then before. What they needs is adjust switches to have tips that are more visible. That is what was happening to me, with older versions. Switches were totally lost in dark, and I did not know they were there. Decoy Release Program mode switch (OFF/SA/AUTO) is still so dark it cannot be seen unless I zoom in. Landing Light switch and In-Flight Refueling switch is same.

DK most planes have a ''flashlight'' you can turn on that illuminates wherever the cursor is at. You try that yet?

usually "L"

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).