HMCS Hornet A/G modes

Orwell

Someone mentioned to me the other day that F18C hornets have some of the same functionality as the A10, with respect to being able to designate a location on the ground with HMCS and then getting TGP to look at that point. Is that true and is it coming to Hornet?

As Jak said, you can designate using the JHMCS (the same way you should be able to designate in all AG modes through the HUD, but currently only AUTO). That will create a TGT which will slave all.

If I have JDAMS without a lightening pod on, how do I get my hud in auto to designate with hud? Sorry if you cannot.

If I have JDAMS without a lightening pod on, how do I get my hud in auto to designate with hud? Sorry if you cannot.

So the way it should work is that anytime whilst in AG master mode, you can just set the HUD as TDC and it will bring up the ball and chain.

In DCS, you need to be in AUTO mode, luckily JDAM has an AUTO mode. So just change it from MAN release to AUTO, and you're golden.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

"I do hornet"

I love that.

Man, I've messed with F16. I own it. It's neat in its own way...

But you simply cannot beat F18 in terms of ease of use, IMO.

Since you're here, do you know if there is a list of HOTAS shortcuts for the F18? Specifically for radar a/a a/g

Example, how you can slew the TDC in and out of the upper part of the radar to increase range, and in and out of the bottom part of the box to decrease? Stuff like that seems to be hard for me to find. Little shortcuts and tricks.

Edited by Orwell

Example, how you can slew the TDC in and out of the upper part of the radar to increase range, and in and out of the bottom part of the box to decrease? Stuff like that seems to be hard for me to find. Little shortcuts and tricks.

IIRC that shouldn't be possible in Hornet. So you can't "push edge" to get further or closer, but you would move the TDC cursor on the UP/DOWN OBS buttons position and use TDC PRESS to operate them. Like if you want to do 2 bars instead 4 bars, you press on 4B position and select 2B.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

"I do hornet"

I love that.

Man, I've messed with F16. I own it. It's neat in its own way...

But you simply cannot beat F18 in terms of ease of use, IMO.

Since you're here, do you know if there is a list of HOTAS shortcuts for the F18? Specifically for radar a/a a/g

It's quite hard to describe all of hornets HOTAS commands (even if I did know them all) because they are so contextual. But little tricks you might not know, hmmm:

HSI/SA swapping on MPCD by sequential presses of SCS aft?

Ability to change settings on radar page by hovering TDC over the buttons and depressing?

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

IIRC that shouldn't be possible in Hornet. So you can't "push edge" to get further or closer, but you would move the TDC cursor on the UP/DOWN OBS buttons position and use TDC PRESS to operate them. Like if you want to do 2 bars instead 4 bars, you press on 4B position and select 2B.

Moving the TDC above the top of the radar scope, and then back inside in under 0.2~ seconds will bump range. The opposite will reduce the scan range.

HSI/SA swapping on MPCD by sequential presses of SCS aft?

This one is GREAT. I just discovered it the other day. I always found it very frustrating that I could not get TACAN or waypoint cues in the SA page and datalink in the HSI page. So when navigating while wanting to keep an eye out for trouble I had to sacrifice the right DDI for the HSI instead of EW.

But being able to easily switch back and forth to quickly get the nav cues and back to SA (or vice versa) makes all the difference in the world.

It's quite hard to describe all of hornets HOTAS commands (even if I did know them all) because they are so contextual.

I think the key to a nice description would be to avoid the standard way its done by diagramming it on an image of the controls so they are ordered by button, but order it by DDI format.

do you know if there is a list of HOTAS shortcuts for the F18?

I've started working on something like that as part of this thread here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=289108

I think the key to a nice description would be to avoid the standard way its done by diagramming it on an image of the controls so they are ordered by button, but order it by DDI format.

Yup, that's the exact same conclusion I came to. I'm starting to plan out an illustration like that now, I'm thinking of including the SCS special action, Cage/Uncage button, and FLIR/FOV buttons on the reference. Maybe NWS? That one mostly doesn't change much.