"every frame" - Res. of cockpit displays. - Explaination please.

Ok I've searched the forums & GUI manual and to my surprise i cant find any explanation of what exactly the difference is between "every frame" and not every frame actually is.

• The resolution numbers from 256 - 1024 is self explanatory. But the difference between every frame and not is less clear. Can anyone explain this please.

1. How does it affect quality?
  2. How does it affect performance?
    (As i don't really see any difference in either myself.)

Also...
  3. Does 'Res. of cockpit displays' only affect in cockpit monitors, i.e MFCDs & Shkvals for example? Or does it affect general cockpit rendering quality?
  4. Does it have any affect in the P51 for example, that has no monitors?

Thanks.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

How does it affect quality?

It means that with every frame the graphic card renders, the renders of the in cockpit screens are updated too. If not selected, the screens are updated less often.

How does it affect performance?

Depending on what your FPS is currently limited by, it varies from a minor influence to significantly reducing FPS. Edit: Also, obviously it depends on how many screens there are in the pit, what they display and what their resolution is.

Does 'Res. of cockpit displays' only affect in cockpit monitors, i.e MFCDs & Shkvals for example? Or does it affect general cockpit rendering quality?

The former.

Does it have any affect in the P51 for example, that has no monitors?

No.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Every Frame is as Sobek, means image in mirrors, MFD, Shkval are updated at same interval the game render is working (if you are getting 30fps in game, the image in mirrors, MFD etc are also updated at 30fps)

Non-Every Frame I am pretty certain is where mirrors, MFD etc are updated at 1/2 the fps the game render is working.

No longer active in DCS...

Thanks lads.

I think because my FPS is limited by my CPU not GFX card when i change this setting i dont see any performance hit and comparing quality is difficult.. i simply don't notice the difference!

(Depending on the module i run i get 35 - 60 fps no matter what graphic settings i use)

You give slightly conflicting info above regarding the P51... as it has a mirror, is the mirror considered a monitor and therefore influenced by this setting?

Cheers

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

I bought DCS P-51D but haven't installed it (as I am not fond of the aircraft) so I can't confirm, but I read on forums that P-51D has clickable mirrors (meaning you can turn them on and off within the game) and if this is true I am suspecting the image in mirrors are calculated all the time, and just toggled on and off to be displayed or not... if this is the case then tunring mirrors on and off should not affect framerate.

Up to now, in FC2, BS/BS2/A-10C this is how it works... mirrors are calculated only if they are turned off in settings and they affect FPS quite a bit, and with Every Frame setting they display image at equal interval (FPS) as the game render itself. Maybe they changed something with DCS P-51D so they are working differently.

No.

Aren't the mirrors included in that control as well as things like MFD's?

From the A-10 GUI.

RES. OF COCKPIT DISPLAYS. Set the resolution of cockpit displays such as mirrors, targeting video indicators, multifunction displays, moving maps, etc. Note that higher resolution settings can negatively impact the smoothness of game play.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I bought DCS P-51D but haven't installed it (as I am not fond of the aircraft) so I can't confirm, but I read on forums that P-51D has clickable mirrors (meaning you can turn them on and off within the game) and if this is true I am suspecting the image in mirrors are calculated all the time, and just toggled on and off to be displayed or not... if this is the case then tunring mirrors on and off should not affect framerate.

Up to now, in FC2, BS/BS2/A-10C this is how it works... mirrors are calculated only if they are turned off in settings and they affect FPS quite a bit, and with Every Frame setting they display image at equal interval (FPS) as the game render itself. Maybe they changed something with DCS P-51D so they are working differently.

they can be turned on, but if you are not looking at them, they are not rendered and thus do not degrade framerate.

same with the targeting displays like litening pod and shkval. when you turn on the panel display, a little lag kicks in because a piece(maybe a huge piece) of the the distant terrain is rendered.

i have a very dumb question, how do i monitor my FPS in game? thanks!

RCtl+Pause

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

they can be turned on, but if you are not looking at them, they are not rendered and thus do not degrade framerate.

same with the targeting displays like litening pod and shkval. when you turn on the panel display, a little lag kicks in because a piece(maybe a huge piece) of the the distant terrain is rendered.

Actually even if you are not looking at them the objects in mirrors are still being calculated by the CPU so they do impact framerate.

I installed P-51D last night to try it out and I noticed turning mirror on gives little impact on framerate, nowhere hear as much as in FC2 or BS or A-10C, it seems ED have done something with them differently so that image area calculated by the CPU for the mirrors is much smaller... which is a good move

EDIT: I was wrong, mirrors on/off still give quite impact on framerate, I didn't notice it before because I limited my fps to 38 so I only saw 3-4fpfs difference because of this, just installed 1.1.2.1 and I didn't limit my fps yet and there was quite difference in fps with mirrors on and off (around 59 with mirror off and 27 with mirror on in same situation - stationary on runway)

Edited by Kuky