How did Initial Point bombing work in reality?

electricaltill

Was it just a case of the target being static but very hard to spot, so an offset from a known point was used? Or was it for mobile targets, and the offset established after the mission began?

If the latter, how? It's easy enough for us to pull up F10 and use the ruler to get the offset information but how was it done in reality?

Edited by electricaltill

Was it just a case of the target being static but very hard to spot, so an offset from a known point was used? Or was it for mobile targets, and the offset established after the mission began?

If the latter, how? It's easy enough for us to pull up F10 and use the ruler to get the offset information but how was it done in reality?

It would have been used for preplanned hard to spot static targets. Let's say there is a camouflaged vehicle park that's hard to pick out visually when at medium or even low level at 480kts. However, there's a distinctive bridge or spit of land a few miles away. Use the distinctive feature as the IP, to then help visually pick out the actual target.

It was I guess just another tool in it's tool set. Many aircraft of the day had similar systems. Remember though, it was designed in the 60's and it's bombing capabilities were not the first priority.

Edited by AvroLanc

Here's a couple techniques, one of them using CMPTR IP...

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Wow. Now that was a snipe for all time! Glad the man himself got it first. :)

:thumbup:

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick