opentrack movement prob

hey guys, I'm new to the whole opentrack thing, so bare with me.

I'm using a modified ps3 eye with a delanclip and opentrack, I bought originaly the ver 2 track noir but its so jittery even when taking nearly a whole day to try and set it up better, it just wouldn't play nicely.

now the little pink octopus isn't bad,and has made it much easier, I have good head movement and continually adjusted my curves to get it as good as poss, BUT, I still have this movement bug, I look at something in cockpit, and it still moves even when I'm still, just very slowly but enough to be a pain trying to click on switches.

is there a cure for this or is it just a prob with head tracking?

this is on win 10, camera at 640x with 60fps set

cheers for any thoughts

is going to a track ir camera really worth the extra

In the accela filter settings you can adjust the sensitivity to help with what you are talking about. You can adjust the sensitivity and deadzone for all 6 DOFs. This is different from creating deadzones in the mapping settings.

Edited by Len62

I'm using a modified ps3 eye with a delanclip and opentrack, I bought originaly the ver 2 track noir but its so jittery even when taking nearly a whole day to try and set it up better, it just wouldn't play nicely.

I have the same hardware as you do, but OpenTrack had two shortcomings that made me abandon it:

1) It doesnt allow to bind commands to the mouse, for example I wanted to center my Headtracking when I click on the mousewheel ... that's not posible with OpenTrack, you have to use a keyboard key for that.

2) The command to stop and start the headtracking was slow, taking a few seconds to restart the tracking ... I use the stop/start when I want to switch to a Snapview, for example to manage the Radar screen from close up ... a pause of several seconds was a no-no

now the little pink octopus isn't bad,and has made it much easier, I have good head movement and continually adjusted my curves to get it as good as poss, BUT, I still have this movement bug, I look at something in cockpit, and it still moves even when I'm still, just very slowly but enough to be a pain trying to click on switches.

is there a cure for this or is it just a prob with head tracking?

this is on win 10, camera at 640x with 60fps set

I found that you actually dont need a high resolution for tracking your head, actually 320 x 240 works just as fine as 640 x 480, but the lower resolution allows a higher frequency, from 60 Hz you can go up to 90 Hz, which results in a more responsive headtracking.

I will show you how I have configured my FaceTrack, in case you want to give it a second try:

My first step was adjusting the PS3 Eye exposure so that it only sees the LEDs and doesnt see any stray lights that your room may have ... for that you use the P3 software, like this:

Z9Z3Kzn.jpg

Once you have the Camera adjusted, then you can configure the FTNIR main options:

I use PointTracker, Accela Filter and FreeTrack protocol. When you use Accela the FTNIR smoothing is not needed and in fact it interferes with Accela, so I turn it all the way down, like this:

79vLMeT.jpg

I have the PointTracker options like this: 320 x 240, 90 fps and pitch -5 because my webcam is on top of my monitor looking 5 degrees down

xYepPUd.jpg

On other PointTracker options, I have disabled the Roll axis because I found simpler to just have to control pitch and roll only:

hxjjXjX.jpg

For the clip, Delan is a copy of TrackIR's so the dimensions dont need adjustment, but you should press the "Calibrate" button, then move your head in all directions WITHOUT moving the base of your neck, this allows the software to gather exactly how much off the center of your head is your clip; then press the button again to store the calibration.

gK35KLy.jpg

On the Accela filter, I have reduced the response to 50% to allow for faster large head movements ... on the default 100% its a bit slow to move your head wildly :)

l614aob.jpg

Finally, the curves are not the proper tool to get a more stable headtracking, after much trial and error I have settled for linear curves, as it was disorienting to have the headtracking less responsive near center and too fast far-center ... linear Works better:

FanRqK0.jpg

yswYuGN.jpg

is going to a track ir camera really worth the extra

I dont really think so ... in my opiniin the headtracking devices are fast becoming obsolete, its better to save that money towards an Oculus Rift :)

Best regards

PS, here I have a video where you can check how my headtracking is currently working:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

wow, thanks rudel, ill try tracknoir again with those settings and let you know, be great to get that smooth :)

well, no matter what I do even with those settings its jittery and really doesn't move as smooth as opentrack for me, oh well thanks for the help though, but for some reason I have never got track noir to work well, all different systems I suppose

Edited by thrustvector

• 6 months later...
I have the same hardware as you do, but OpenTrack had two shortcomings that made me abandon it:

1) It doesnt allow to bind commands to the mouse, for example I wanted to center my Headtracking when I click on the mousewheel ... that's not posible with OpenTrack, you have to use a keyboard key for that.

2) The command to stop and start the headtracking was slow, taking a few seconds to restart the tracking ... I use the stop/start when I want to switch to a Snapview, for example to manage the Radar screen from close up ... a pause of several seconds was a no-no

I found that you actually dont need a high resolution for tracking your head, actually 320 x 240 works just as fine as 640 x 480, but the lower resolution allows a higher frequency, from 60 Hz you can go up to 90 Hz, which results in a more responsive headtracking.

I will show you how I have configured my FaceTrack, in case you want to give it a second try:

My first step was adjusting the PS3 Eye exposure so that it only sees the LEDs and doesnt see any stray lights that your room may have ... for that you use the P3 software, like this:

Z9Z3Kzn.jpg

Once you have the Camera adjusted, then you can configure the FTNIR main options:

I use PointTracker, Accela Filter and FreeTrack protocol. When you use Accela the FTNIR smoothing is not needed and in fact it interferes with Accela, so I turn it all the way down, like this:

79vLMeT.jpg

I have the PointTracker options like this: 320 x 240, 90 fps and pitch -5 because my webcam is on top of my monitor looking 5 degrees down

xYepPUd.jpg

On other PointTracker options, I have disabled the Roll axis because I found simpler to just have to control pitch and roll only:

hxjjXjX.jpg

For the clip, Delan is a copy of TrackIR's so the dimensions dont need adjustment, but you should press the "Calibrate" button, then move your head in all directions WITHOUT moving the base of your neck, this allows the software to gather exactly how much off the center of your head is your clip; then press the button again to store the calibration.

gK35KLy.jpg

On the Accela filter, I have reduced the response to 50% to allow for faster large head movements ... on the default 100% its a bit slow to move your head wildly :)

l614aob.jpg

Finally, the curves are not the proper tool to get a more stable headtracking, after much trial and error I have settled for linear curves, as it was disorienting to have the headtracking less responsive near center and too fast far-center ... linear Works better:

FanRqK0.jpg

yswYuGN.jpg

I dont really think so ... in my opiniin the headtracking devices are fast becoming obsolete, its better to save that money towards an Oculus Rift :)

Best regards

PS, here I have a video where you can check how my headtracking is currently working:

Sorry for digging this up, but I can't thank you enough for this guide!

A really life saver!

Was really struggling with getting a smooth input with my Delanclip.

Sorry for digging this up, but I can't thank you enough for this guide!

A really life saver!

Was really struggling with getting a smooth input with my Delanclip.

:) glad to be able to help and give back to this community, and thankyou for letting me know.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

• 7 months later...
I am having the exact same problem :(( tryed everything. The image keeps moving

I’d gladly help, but there is not enough info to guess what might be causing the problem :(

It is sooo frustrating! I see that everyone uses ps3 cam and it works perfect.

I really donno why mine doesn t. I tried every single tracking software and settings, and still the image moves when my head is still..that makes it impossible to flip switches :((

What info do you need! I would really appreciate ur help!

What info do you need! I would really appreciate ur help!

Well, first of all, knowing which headtracking software are you currently using and then show us what are the configuration dettings are you using.

I’ve experience with Facetracknoir and can help you with its config settings, if you are using another software then I’m sure someone else will pipe in and help you with it.

Finally, we know that you are using a ps3 webcam, but what type of clip are you using for tracking?