More weapon for the f-14B?

DarkStar79

IIRC the B never got a GPS which is required for JDAMs. Thats why they build the F-14D

Apparently, it did (EGI) with the OFP320 upgrade.

https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=3487&context=utk_gradthes

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

We won't get the JDAM, as our version of the Tomcat was not capable of employing JDAMs because of the lack of GPS.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Not even INS guided? GPS is not the only guidance system for JDAMs
The Tomcats INS wasn't precise enough for that.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

We have the F-14B, the GPS version was part of a digitalization program of the DOD, called the F-14B(U).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

The military GPS is quite accurate and even more important GPS doesn't drift unlike INS.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Not even INS guided? GPS is not the only guidance system for JDAMs
The JDAM itself uses INS to be safe from GPS jamming after bomb release. The initial coordinates come from GPS.

INS on the aircraft was considered too inaccurate as initial source, IIRC. :dunno:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

You can always do an in flight INS update. Besides, military and civilian uses the same GPS, applications are different.

Do you even know what you're talking about? An INS update is not always possible. Try doing a nav fix in the middile of the ocean or in IFR conditions without having a TACAN-station nearby. Not even mentioning the requirement to pre-plan fix points. And even if you can do an nav-update it won't be precise enough to be able to hit anything smaller than a barn.

Military can access more precise GPS signals than civilian users.

Tornado3 small.jpg

We will get the TARPS recon pod later, for reconnaissance mission, according to Heatblur. So far the weapons we got, covers pretty much, what the Tomcat used IRL.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Do you even know what you're talking about? An INS update is not always possible. Try doing a nav fix in the middile of the ocean or in IFR conditions without having a TACAN-station nearby. Not even mentioning the requirement to pre-plan fix points. And even if you can do an nav-update it won't be precise enough to be able to hit anything smaller than a barn.

Calm down, mate. You'll pop a vein if you're not careful and we are here to enjoy the ride. We are talking ground targets, one would assume there are quite some landmarks around for an update. As for precision, what do you mean by that? The GPS in my car gives me DD.MM.SS precision. That's accurate within couple of meters. A barn is a small target, try a hardened shelter which is much larger. In any case, discussion is moot as GPS was not present on this model. Case closed. Right?

[sIGPIC]OK[/sIGPIC]

Do you even know what you're talking about?

--------

Do you?

This was only true before selective availability was disabled by Bill Clinton's directive in May 2000.

Military GPS receivers usually use two frequencies instead of one like most commercial receivers but commercial receivers DO exist that provide these capabilities.

Point is, military and civilian receivers can provide the same accuracy today.

Source

You can always do an in flight INS update. Besides, military and civilian uses the same GPS, applications are different.

The new navigation system (EGI) with a much more precise INS and GPS and which was connected to the digital data bus was only one of the things added for the JDAM upgrade. For example, the weapon pylons also needed to be upgraded to be able to receive the data from the same bus.

The obsolete F-14 INS system had no connection to the data bus to be able to feed the data, but they did use an adapter to convert this data into digital bus standard for the LTS pod to work, though, so I guess that could have been used here as well.

But, the F-14B we have doesn't really have the digital data bus installed yet, though I presume they might have had hacked the JDAM to work through the LTS pod directly somehow (since it has its own GPS and inertial unit IIRC) with some limitations?

Of course, since the LTS pod proved to be a success, they made a much more comprehensive F-14B(U) Upgrade which added the digital bus, the new weapon control system, PTID, PMDIG, etc. which then for allowed the proper JDAM integration and no hacking was required.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The new navigation system (EGI) with a much more precise

The obsolete F-14 INS system had no connection to the data bus to be able to feed the data, but they did use an adapter to convert this data into digital bus standard for the LTS pod to work, though, so I guess that could have been used here as well.

Is this regarding the aircraft INS? Reading the manual I can see few update methods like radar, datalink, visual and to a lesser extent TACAN and figher to fighter. I say to a lesser extend because beyond 80-100 miles TACAN is not really an option and fighter to fighter probably would make it even worse.

[sIGPIC]OK[/sIGPIC]

We are talking ground targets, one would assume there are quite some landmarks around for an update.

No, especially not in the case of carrier operated birds like the Tomcat. If you strike targets on the coast when comming from over the ocean, then there are no landmarks to do a nav fix on before attacking.

As for precision, what do you mean by that? The GPS in my car gives me DD.MM.SS precision. That's accurate within couple of meters.

I was talking about selective availability. As Shavik pointed out, this is no longer a thing, which I was not aware of.

I was talkiing about A barn is a small target, try a hardened shelter which is much larger.

A barn is not a small target at all. A vehicle or a tunnel entrance is a small target. But the INS accuracy of the Tomcat isn't even precise enough to hit a barn, especially not after flying for some time.

Tornado3 small.jpg

why would you want JDAMs boooring mission: you are basically an airliner with a nifty 2000 pounder as pasenger LOL. At least with an LGB you get to aim the sucker.

I guess you could use the JDAM in the same way (with the targeting pod), with the added benefit of not having to lase the target all the way till the impact.

Is this regarding the aircraft INS? Reading the manual I can see few update methods like radar, datalink, visual and to a lesser extent TACAN and figher to fighter. I say to a lesser extend because beyond 80-100 miles TACAN is not really an option and fighter to fighter probably would make it even worse.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're asking me here.

Edited by Dudikoff