Bingo Fuel

Hippo

What is it?

How is the value entered into the IFEI before takeoff calculated?

Does it change as the flight progresses?

I realise that there are other posts covering this, but it all seems a bit vague.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Its up to you to determine how much fuel you need to GTFO of the AO and make it home. I like to set it around 5000 - 6000 pounds if you are flying over 100nm away from mother. That way if you need to bug out you can turn and burn away for a bit then use the FPAS page to set a profile to get yourself home with a buffer. If you have a tanker operating you can probably reduce bingo a bit. This is just the way I do it.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

It's time to go home.

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/48595/what-is-the-history-of-joker-and-bingo-fuel-terms :

"Bingo" originated with aircraft carrier operations. "Bingo" actually means to divert.

The official US Navy definition of "BINGO" is: "An order to proceed and land at the field specified, utilizing a bingo profile. Aircraft is considered to be in an emergency/fuel critical situation. Bearing, distance, and destination shall be provided."

Other military, and even civilian operators, have since adopted "Bingo Fuel" to mean minimum fuel to safely reach an airport.

P8P67 Deluxe, i7 2700k@4700MHz, 32GB, GTX1080Ti, Win10, HP Reverb G2, TM Hotas from 2002 serial:03070.

It's really just a customizable alert. It's a way of telling the jet to alert you when you reach a certain fuel level, so if you're not paying attention you know you've hit a specific point where you should be paying attention. I typically set it between 6,000 and 4,000 depending on mission range and task.

From another forum:

"Not sure if you're looking for an origin of the word, or what it implies.

I don't really know why the word BINGO is used, but it holds a very important meaning in military aviation. In general, its a pre-briefed amount of fuel that, when reached, you need to go home.

For example, in the hornet world, we typically will brief a 3500lb bingo (VFR), giving us 1500 lbs to get home, and 2000 lbs of slush - pattern work, potential delays due to other traffic, etc..."

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=26117

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

I manually adjust the bingo level by half each time a reach it. That way my fuel level remains sort of top-of-mind.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-----------------------

i9 9900K | Dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB | 64 GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD | 850 Watt Power Supply with Liquid Cooling | Thrustmaster F/A-18C Hornet™ HOTAS Add-On Grip | TPR Pendular Rudders | Warthog Dual Throttles | Track IR5 | Foxx Mounts Stick and Throttle | Massdrop AKG K7XX w SBX G6 DAC | Corsair K70 RGB Platinum | G903 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse | Acer XR382CQK

BINGO is the “need to start RTB warning.” Some set an initial bingo, then adjust it once reached to final bingo setting. Then that is the hard RTB warning.

If you have a divert airfield, or say launch from Stennis but then use a FOB like Gudata for example, make sure to add the waypoint via HSI, and then in the FPAS page, adjust “home” to the appropriate waypoint.

Initial position is waypoint 0, let’s say Gudata is your new established operating airfield (base) and have input the coordinates for Gudata as waypoint 1.

Open FPAS, bottom row OSB far right button to change home to waypoint 1. Then you can avoid the “HOME FUEL” advisory illuminating the master caution light and displaying on the left DDI.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Typically people will use a “Joker / Bingo”. The bingo will be calculated based off of expected furthest distance from home, plus additionally padding for weather, or other contingencies, as the lead sees fit. It is usually not a fuel state that gets you on deck exactly at the minimum amount. Usually there’s some extra. Once Bingo is calculated, Joker is almost always set at 2000 pounds above that. Once Joker is hit, a flight member will call it out and the lead will instruct to reset bingo on the IFEI. This is all for land based operations. It is not the same for the ship.

Typically people will use a “Joker / Bingo”. The bingo will be calculated based off of expected furthest distance from home, plus additionally padding for weather, or other contingencies, as the lead sees fit. It is usually not a fuel state that gets you on deck exactly at the minimum amount. Usually there’s some extra. Once Bingo is calculated, Joker is almost always set at 2000 pounds above that. Once Joker is hit, a flight member will call it out and the lead will instruct to reset bingo on the IFEI. This is all for land based operations. It is not the same for the ship.

There is an item in the NATOPS before taxi checklist:

FUEL - BIT / SET BINGO

I assume that this means putting a number into the IFEI. Your bingo description based on furthest point + contingencies seems the most plausible suggested here so far - I assume there's a final reserve (2000 lbs?) included as well. Wouldn't it seem more logical to put the joker value into the IFEI? What do you mean by "reset bingo on the IFEI"? Set to zero? Clearly there will be a point after which you're on your way back from the furthest point, at which the calculation is no longer valid.

I'm just trying to get more detail into how that IFEI number is calculated and used throughout a flight IRL.

Thanks to all who replied.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

There is an item in the NATOPS before taxi checklist:

FUEL - BIT / SET BINGO

I assume that this means putting a number into the IFEI. Your bingo description based on furthest point + contingencies seems the most plausible suggested here so far - I assume there's a final reserve (2000 lbs?) included as well. Wouldn't it seem more logical to put the joker value into the IFEI? What do you mean by "reset bingo on the IFEI"? Set to zero? Clearly there will be a point after which you're on your way back from the furthest point, at which the calculation is no longer valid.

I'm just trying to get more detail into how that IFEI number is calculated and used throughout a flight IRL.

Thanks to all who replied.

That NATOPS item means set the Bingo window in the IFEI to whatever value you choose. Most guys initially set it to 8000 pounds to confirm that fuel tank #4 is transferring properly. After that it is set to Joker. After that it is set to Bingo. After that it is set to something logical for personal preference (a divert value perhaps?). NATOPS is just saying to put something appropriate into the Bingo window, not to necessarily set your actual bingo value

Standard final reserve is 2000 pounds as I stated earlier. Under normal circumstances, jets should not be airborne with less than 2000 pounds. 2000 pounds is the “minimum fuel on deck”

By “reset bingo” I meant change the number in the window from the Joker value to the bingo value. There’s no reset button. It’s just the term used to change the number from Joker to Bingo.

That NATOPS item means set the Bingo window in the IFEI to whatever value you choose. Most guys initially set it to 8000 pounds to confirm that fuel tank #4 is transferring properly. After that it is set to Joker. After that it is set to Bingo. After that it is set to something logical for personal preference (a divert value perhaps?). NATOPS is just saying to put something appropriate into the Bingo window, not to necessarily set your actual bingo value

Standard final reserve is 2000 pounds as I stated earlier. Under normal circumstances, jets should not be airborne with less than 2000 pounds. 2000 pounds is the “minimum fuel on deck”

By “reset bingo” I meant change the number in the window from the Joker value to the bingo value. There’s no reset button. It’s just the term used to change the number from Joker to Bingo.

Very interesting - many thanks.