What are bombs made of?

Rhinozherous

Hello!

Today I watched another documentary about carrier operations (dont know how many of these I watched so far... a lot... I love it)

There is a thing I think about every time. When you see bombs - mk82 for example - you often get a close up view of the bombs and it seems every bomb has its own surface. Sometimes they are very rough with a lot of dents and scratches, sometimes they have a more clean and smooth surface.

EDIT - I added a screenshot of what I mean - I "censored" logos of the player with white colour

Now I asked myself if they are made out of scrap metal and if they all look different and rough because they are made to explode anyway... so no use for a smooth (and maybe aerodynamic) surface.

Anyone with more insight into this topic? Thank you!

896394873_bomb2.thumb.png.ea8dcfc9d96b10e3d61065743aeec20b.png

Edited by Rhinozherous
Adding picture

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

the first above have a heat/fire protection, thermally protection coating, yellow ring says thats are live ordonance weapons with High explosives

2 yellow Rings for MK 80 Series

3 yellow Rings for BLU-110/11

Mk-82 unprotected / BLU-111 protected

MK-83 / BLU-110

MK-84 / BLU-117

Edited by Ghostraider

ever wonder what they do with avocado skins

yeah

:lol:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Put this question in the UFO thread and see what you get. :)

ha! indeed! ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what kind of material the coating is but for sure that roughness aerodynamically prevents laminar motion and allows turbulent motion, this makes an unguided bomb more stable, it is the same principle as the surface of golf balls

ccs-66-0-11228900-1426554549.jpg

Edited by The Falcon

But why are some smooth and some not?

lack of moisturizer ? :joystick:

Honestly, not sure... but I'm guessing the earlier talk about turbulent instead of laminar is likely the key to dumb bomb accuracy. The newer JDAM types don't care about that as they are guided so maybe those are smoother for less drag/longer standoff... but that's just guessing on my part.

I don't think it has anything to do with fragmentation as that's probably formed a different way, maybe on the inside of the casting.

But why are some smooth and some not?

Different materials and fire safety requirements. Aircraft carrier = very important. Airbase with isolated earthwork storage depot = not as important.

The F/A-18C fire control computer has separate entries for certain bombs with and without the coating because it changes the ballistics (might just be weight).

• 2 weeks later...

Since you're in Austria, they're made of Kabuhm-stoff :)

The rough surface on some bombs is a layer of insulation, for bombs that are carried on aircraft carriers. It increases the time needed for the bombs to cook off if there's a fire on the carrier.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!