MAC (Modern Air Combat) Discussion - Page 17 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #161
zaelu
Veteran

Are there plans to have MAC as a service with different subscription plans?

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,
Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least
zaelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:48 PM   #162
LCUChap2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyyUFO View Post
I see. That means that will be just a arcade mode polished to be at Ace combat level or so. Killed my expectations
I don't think that's where they're going with this. I could be wrong, but I believe they're looking at something that appeals to those of us who enjoyed Jane's USAF, EF2K, etc.
LCUChap2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:43 PM   #163
Avimimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreenaway View Post
i dont know, while i spend far more time playing DCS, ive found IL-2 is a lot more fun. DCS is more satisfying in terms of mastering a skill. the IL2 planes are FC3 level low-fi and i find it a more fitting comparison in that there is some degree of historic fidelity.
I don't understand how people can confuse the lack of a clickable cockpit with low fidelity. The weird behaviour of Mig-3 flaps (fully retracting for a moment whenever the detente is changed) and things like the possible failure of the latch holding the cockpit canopy of the Yak-7 open to catch properly are modelled... a lot of aircraft specific idiosyncrasies exist in the systems modelling. The damage modelling has also been superior (although DCS is now challenging that).
Avimimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:06 PM   #164
ngreenaway

true, but you also have "one set of bindings to rule them all" and no means of interacting with the individual controls....ie "no clicky", which is fine- ive got no problem with FC3 either

the point i was making was that MAC is likely to be a more streamlined experience while remaining historically accurate- like IL2, rather than an arcade game like Ace Combat
ngreenaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #165
Marujet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreenaway View Post
i dont know, while i spend far more time playing DCS, ive found IL-2 is a lot more fun. DCS is more satisfying in terms of mastering a skill. the IL2 planes are FC3 level low-fi and i find it a more fitting comparison in that there is some degree of historic fidelity. ace combat series (i remember playing it on the original playstation) makes no attempts at realism beyond the appearance of the aircraft...much like the Area88 comics from the 80s? 90s?
Yeah for all intents and purposes the Ace Combat titles are action games with zero simulation. Still fun for what they are, but if the games were reskinned into space combat nobody will bat an eye.

If MAC has similar fidelity to the old Janes games however I would be immensely stoked.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #166
Gierasimov

Arrow There are no such plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaelu View Post
Are there plans to have MAC as a service with different subscription plans?
Nick Grey explained that this isn't the business model they want to go for. (via Reddit)
Gierasimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:35 PM   #167
Gierasimov

Lightbulb To the contrary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avimimus View Post
Well that is a fear right? Kindof like the 'simple avionics' for the Ka-50... the decision to have fewer button presses will also mean a major sacrifice of realism (and the modelling details/gameplay quality that goes with it) on the assumption that players who don't use clickable cockpits are people who wouldn't notice...

...that and fear of the abandonment of support for the FC3 aircraft...
Well, first of all MAC is a separate game, so simply no need to go there if one does not like it. Just stay with DCS for realism.

As for FC3, Wags also mentioned recently in one of the interviews:

"MAC – What’s the current status of MAC? It seemed to be a successor to FC3 and then just vanished. Is it still a thing?

We have a large effort behind MAC, and the scope of the product has grown tremendously since we initially announced it. Our goal is to create a true AAA product, but this has taken a lot more time than we originally planned due to the added game features we never had in DCS before. We are confident the result will be worth it and bring many people into combat flight simulations.

FC3 – Will we ever see an FC4? In addition, can 3rd parties add more aircraft in the FC vein, ie simplified systems?

What we originally planned as Flaming Cliffs 4 morphed into Modern Air Combat. The FC series will continue but we feel that MAC will represent the future of simplified ab initio simulator users."
Gierasimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:23 PM   #168
matis669

Hi im new here i also created account on this forum to ask When we will get some info about game ? Will it be free to play - like War thunder ( prem acc/vechlices?) or will it be Pay to play ? Can anyone anwser ?
matis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:56 PM   #169
MiG21bisFishbedL

Quote:
Originally Posted by matis669 View Post
Hi im new here i also created account on this forum to ask When we will get some info about game ? Will it be free to play - like War thunder ( prem acc/vechlices?) or will it be Pay to play ? Can anyone anwser ?
Most certainly not. You will have to purchase it to use it within DCS.

Click here to see the updated time until DCS: F-22A
MiG21bisFishbedL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #170
Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG21bisFishbedL View Post
Most certainly not. You will have to purchase it to use it within DCS.

"within DCS" is misleading. Afaik MAC is a stand alone software.
Tom Kazansky is offline   Reply With Quote