Virtual RAF Chinook Display team - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
Flying Penguin

OK, let's back up a minute. There are a number of possibilities here with varying degrees of difficulty/cost and I don't think you're clear about where on that scale you want/need to be.

Possibilities, non exhaustive but in rough order of increasing difficulty:
- Replace external model of existing flyable aircraft with the existing Chinook but flight model and cockpit are unchanged
- Use flight model of another aircraft to make existing Chinook flyable but have a HUD only
- Create new realistic flight model for existing Chinook and fly with HUD only or copied cockpit from a Huey
- Full on DCS: Chinook

The first two are (by comparison) much simpler and a number of (relatively) simple mods have done this for other aircraft. These *might* be in the range of things you could ask as a favour or for a not astronomical sum of money, but would give you a Chinook that flies like a Huey or Mi-8.

For either of the last two (which I think is where you want to be, at least option 3) you are taking full on development and 5-6 figures GBP straight off. This is not a favour you are going to be able to just ask nicely for.

How deep are your pockets?

Edit: it's worth pointing out that, to my knowledge, the innards of flight models are not accessible to modders, so unless you can persuade Belsimtek to open up the workings of their models to you, any custom flight model is going to involve starting from scratch. You don't just update a few numbers in a table...

Last edited by Flying Penguin; 12-07-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Flying Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
sobek
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Penguin View Post
OK, let's back up a minute. There are a number of possibilities here with varying degrees of difficulty/cost and I don't think you're clear about where on that scale you want/need to be.

Possibilities, non exhaustive but in rough order of increasing difficulty:
- Replace external model of existing flyable aircraft with the existing Chinook but flight model and cockpit are unchanged
- Use flight model of another aircraft to make existing Chinook flyable but have a HUD only
- Create new realistic flight model for existing Chinook and fly with HUD only or copied cockpit from a Huey
- Full on DCS: Chinook

The first two are (by comparison) much simpler and a number of (relatively) simple mods have done this for other aircraft. These *might* be in the range of things you could ask as a favour or for a not astronomical sum of money, but would give you a Chinook that flies like a Huey or Mi-8.

For either of the last two (which I think is where you want to be, at least option 3) you are taking full on development and 5-6 figures GBP straight off. This is not a favour you are going to be able to just ask nicely for.

How deep are your pockets?
Well said.
sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
Calico

Okay I now understand, I'm getting in contact with someone else who thinks they might be able to do one of the 2 top options so thanks for your constructive criticism but I'll have a chat with this guy and see what happens...
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
Flying Penguin

Glad to hear you are making progress and look forward to seeing the results!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #15
Calico

I've got the CH-47D into a flyable model using the Ka-50 cockpit and flight dynamics but I can't seem to re-position the cockpit... I've edited the cockpit local point loads but the cockpit won't budge :L
Old 01-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #16
diveplane
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I just need the model to be flyable with a different cockpit in it
called a mod then not dcs level.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #17
Pman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I've got the CH-47D into a flyable model using the Ka-50 cockpit and flight dynamics but I can't seem to re-position the cockpit... I've edited the cockpit local point loads but the cockpit won't budge :L
If your editting the cockpit position of an imported cockpit (like the ka50) then you need to edit the files for the Ka50 Cockpit. Not whatever you called the data lua for the aircraft (chinook.lua) or whatever.

But bear in mind if you do this then when you fly the Ka50 the cockpit will be out of position

Pman
Pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #18
Calico

I've managed to move the cockpit position and have removed the Ka-50 cockpit so I am sitting inside the Chinook model's cockpit with the HUD from the Ka-50 as well as some of the other instruments. It's flyable but I'm going to try and reposition some of the gauges, I'll upload some pictures of what I've done soon. And yes, it is a mod.

Last edited by Calico; 01-09-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #19
Calico

Here is the cockpit so far!

There's the bugged out ABRIS

Last edited by Calico; 01-09-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Tags
chinook, display, raf, team