X-55 Rhino Hotas Issues and Problems

unfortunately IonicRipper I have to agree with you about the ergonomic of the stick. Unfortunately I have not encountered any of the other problems you have had. DCS World doesnt recognise all the functions of the X-55, whether that an issue with DCS World or Saitek driver I do not know. DCS World doesnt recognise the different modes either, but they can be used as switch, I use them in my SU-25T for my nav swith A2A switch and A2G switch. but will endeaver to test them out as switches in the modifier sense. I have problem centering the stick, as my deadzone is set to 10.

However I am not a full on sim pilot as I am still learning how to fly the SU-25T and Black Shark 2.

Maybe when DCS World 2 is release some of the issues would have been addressed.

DCS World Online, SU25, SU25T, A-10 A, Black Shark 2, F15C, SU27, Combined Arms, A10C. Flight Controls: Saitek X-55 Rhino HOTAS System and Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. CPU AMD Ryzen 3 2200 3.5GB, 1TB Int HDD, 2TB Int HDD, 2TB Seagate Ext HDD, 8 Gb DDR4 1600 Ram, Geforce GTX 760 2GB GPU

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess with the exception of having to get a Powered USB Hub, I have been pretty fortunate to not get a Lemon from MadCatz. It sounds like a 50/50 hit-and-miss purchase.

I really love my X-55 as I did my X-52. I can only hope it lasts even half as long (X-52 lasted at least 10 years without giving much grief).

As far as the Ergonomics of the Stick go, I just built-up the wrist rest with Foam from an old Mouse Pad and Double-Sided Carpet Tape.

It doesn't look like much to brag about, but it works great.

As soon as I find a chunk of Hi-Density Foam that I have around here (buried somewhere amongst my junk !!), I am going to replace the current wrist rest I made with one single piece which is about 1.5 inches tall/thick.

PS> The built-up wrist wrest allows me to rest my hand comfortably while being able to reach ALL the buttons on the Stick without any difficulty. And I do have rather small hands ... and arthritis).

My only concern when fixing this issue was whether or not I'd still be able to access the Pinky Button on the front of the stick. No Problem !! My built-up portion is about 1.5" Thick x1.5" Wide x2.5" Long. It works great and I highly recommend others try it.

When I get the other piece of foam on it, I'll upload a picture for others to reproduce to their own liking and fit.

SnowTiger:joystick:

Setting Deadzones..

Hey all,

Having issues trying to set the dead zones on my X55, running windows 8.1 and the latest drivers for the stick, but can't even select the tabs in the setting window to alter the zones and set up. Its all greyed out...anyone else have this problem and found a solution.

@Rapier-VCG-

Are you referring to the Tabs in the HUD Software ? OR in DCS World Options ?

In HUD, make sure you are selecting the Stick and not the Throttle for starters.

Beyond that I don't know what to recommend without knowing more .. ie. Which Software and Which Tabs.

@Rapier-VCG-

Are you referring to the Tabs in the HUD Software ? OR in DCS World Options ?

In HUD, make sure you are selecting the Stick and not the Throttle for starters.

Beyond that I don't know what to recommend without knowing more .. ie. Which Software and Which Tabs.

Hey there Snowtiger,

Am referring to the HUD software. Currently, I can select only select the stick or throttle from the opening screen, but once in the adjustment window, only the back tab is usable. Everything else is either grayed out or not clickable.

That does certainly sound pretty useless.

I would consider completely Uninstalling and Re-Installing the HUD software to see if that works.

I know others have had difficulties with HUD software and/or Driver installation for the X-55. I was one of the lucky ones, although it took a couple installs of the drivers before I saw an icon in my SysTray (that I can right click on to select a Profile that I created in the HUD).

FYI - You can program Dead Zones in DCS World Profiles (for Controllers in each Mod). I know that doesn't resolve all the issues but that much you should be able to do.

BTW - Are you using a Powered USB Hub between your HOTAS and your Computer ?

Hey there Snowtiger,

Am referring to the HUD software. Currently, I can select only select the stick or throttle from the opening screen, but once in the adjustment window, only the back tab is usable. Everything else is either grayed out or not clickable.

I had this exact problem... sometimes it would work, but most of the time it wouldn't. Since plugging in a powered usb hub it hasn't exhibited any of the previous problems. Maybe you can give that a go.

Asus MAXIMUS VI IMPACT

i7-4770k @ 4.2Ghz

16Gb PC3-19200 DDR3

256GB Samsung 840 Pro x2

ASUS GTX 970 STRIX

Fractal Design Node 304

Hey all,

Having issues trying to set the dead zones on my X55, running windows 8.1 and the latest drivers for the stick, but can't even select the tabs in the setting window to alter the zones and set up. Its all greyed out...anyone else have this problem and found a solution.

This happen here as well all the time, Led brightness stuck and Stick tab axes settings greyed out.

I fix this by leaving HUD software windows open and by "unplugging/plugin back" the stick.

This fix the problem until the next time I restart the HUD software.

EDIT : Once you got everything setup (calibration/deadzones/...) it doesn't matter if this tab is locked, your previous settings will still be loaded correctly.

Provided my fix worked for you as well of course.

I am using an external USB3.0 HUB also (because I had some ghost keys issue on the throttle with onboard USB ports)

Hope this helps

Edited by Athlonic

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

This happen here as well all the time, Led brightness stuck and Stick tab axes settings greyed out.

I fix this by leaving HUD software windows open and by "unplugging/plugin back" the stick.

This fix the problem until the next time I restart the HUD software.

EDIT : Once you got everything setup (calibration/deadzones/...) it doesn't matter if this tab is locked, your previous settings will still be loaded correctly.

Provided my fix worked for you as well of course.

I am using an external USB3.0 HUB also (because I had some ghost keys issue on the throttle with onboard USB ports)

Hope this helps

Worked like a charm there, thanks

Plugged my X-55 into a powered USB 2.0 hub and all the hats worked perfectly no problems with them registering. I really think a powered USB hub is almost mandatory for this thing as I didn't even get ghosting issue's, simply those 2 throttle hats just would not work and all of a sudden work fine with a powered hub. Overall I like the stick for the price, I think it's just got it's quirks.

I know ... it's amazing how something "seemingly unrelated" can make such a huge difference.

I would have thought that each component having it's own USB cable would have ensured enough power from my PC (with a 1000 watt Power Supply) ... but it didn't.

But a $15 Powered USB Hub make All The Difference.

EVERYONE who experiences ANY issues with a New X-55 Rhino, should immediately consider this solution before saying or doing ANYTHING else. !!

Ya know, I don't get it. I run stick, throttle and rudder pedals through an unpowered hub and I've never had a problem. I run a 1000 watt power supply but I also have 2 GTX780's. Never a days problem. I just can't wrap my head around why others have the issue and I don't. I say Gremlins.

Dale

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I had sort of a similar issue when I bought mine, but it was super obvious that it was a power problem. When I unplugged my X-52 Pro and plugged the two X-55 plugs in, my entire PC instantly turned off. Talk about a surprise. Plug in a new HOTAS and the computer powers off. Unplugging the X-55 solved the problem. Obviously there was too much power draw on that back USB panel.

Solution? Plug the wireless mouse and headset into the powered front ports (direct power off the PSU). Everything worked great then. But it did confuse the hell out of me when it first happened. I'd never seen anything like that before. Who knew you could shut your PC down with excessive USB load? :P

I haven't had a problem since in the month I've had my X-55. It took a little getting used to, but I really like it. It's a very nice HOTAS and I recommend it.

Edited by King_Hrothgar

Great joystick...but the x52 profiler is better than the x55...

Olny 3 modes whitout shift states and I can't assign a coomon shift button between throttle and stick..

Any ideas? New drivers and software?

I was unaware that the x52 profiler allowed for that. I really hope the software gets update. shift modifiers would be very helpful.

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0, AMD FX-8350, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB G.SKILL ARES DDR3-2133, Windows 8 Pro, Saitek x55, Saitek Combat Pedals, FTNOIR

• 5 months later...

So...I have never had this issue with my X55. Until today. There was also an update to TS today. I can't help but think the two are related. If not it's a pretty big coincidence. Interestingly enough, It only happens to me when I have my X55 KA50 Profile loaded. I'm getting ghosting of the "K" key popping in when I go to the test window. And my kneeboard popping up randomly when I'm flying. If i switch to my A10C profile, the problem is gone. I'm also only using the x55 throttle. I use the Warthog for my stick.

Possible solutions:

1.Remake the profile from scratch.

2.Roll Back Teamspeak to the previous version.

3.Disable the K key(Very unattractive as I will go insane knowing the issue is there)

4.Smash the Saitek with a hammer.

Here's a video I made demonstrating the issue. Read the description of the video for some more info, but basically, I'm getting ghost presses of K, but only when my profile for the ka50 or it's backup is loaded. Interestingly enough, i have made several changes to the profile since creating the backup, but both do it. I guess I'm gonna have to go remake the profile from scratch. At any rate, here's the link to the video.

Sorry if this Question has been asked here in this Thread, but does anybody confirm issues with X-55 and Windows 10?

Windows is recognizing the X-55 very well and the controll Panel (Hardware propierties) are recognizing eych Button switch and dial without any issues, but programmed buttons are not recognized, means if I hit the Firebutton on the Controllpanel so it works, but if I assign the weapon release Key combination to this button so this order will not react (speaking of Mad Catz Software not ingame key assignemnt).

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Sorry if this Question has been asked here in this Thread, but does anybody confirm issues with X-55 and Windows 10?

Windows is recognizing the X-55 very well and the controll Panel (Hardware propierties) are recognizing eych Button switch and dial without any issues, but programmed buttons are not recognized, means if I hit the Firebutton on the Controllpanel so it works, but if I assign the weapon release Key combination to this button so this order will not react (speaking of Mad Catz Software not ingame key assignemnt).

We are waiting for compatible drivers.

Saitek reply to my ticket to wait few weeks.

I'm flying since 1988 (Flight Simulator 3.0) :pilotfly:

I'm having the exact same issue with the X52 setup, Saitek's profiler software does not work with window 10.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Windows is recognizing the X-55 very well and the controll Panel (Hardware propierties) are recognizing eych Button switch and dial without any issues, but programmed buttons are not recognized, means if I hit the Firebutton on the Controllpanel so it works, but if I assign the weapon release Key combination to this button so this order will not react (speaking of Mad Catz Software not in-game key assignment).

Is there any change on that matter on how X-55 works on Windows 10?

I have resiliently switched to Windows 10, and don't going to install my Saitek X-55 Rhino again before there is a new compatible driver and software, since Mad Catz says it is no Windows 10 updated driver or software at this date? They can't expect to use months to get some Windows 10 driver and software up and going, wait to nearly everybody have Windows 10 before they do the work. They should have worked harder to get it for Windows 10 by now, and continue updating as it is.

Well, I was receiving this email today about Saitek X55 Rhino from Mad Catz. If you see on their download page, there is no Windows 10 drivers or software in the list for Saitek X-55, only for Windows 8.1.

I was at first after Windows 10 update experiences that there was a conflict when you wanted to program a button in the software it self, It did not recognised it properly. And you can't map anything with the X-55 stick in the Saitek software. In game it worked in Elite Dangerous.

So I have recently doing a completely clean re install for Windows 10 after this almost forced Windows 10 update.

Personally I think their slow to support they're hardware, and slow to update. It's the same thing with the Rat7 mouse. It's function, but both driver and software is not supported for Windows 10 in their download directory, only up to Windows 8.1. It's not sure I will purchase more from them. I see many other are more quick to follow up on driver and software support and updating content for their hardware to support the demands. And they are before their time on this matter only to meet the demands.

I sent Mad Catz a support request on this matter. Here is the support request I received back today, 10 august 2015 about this matter. And I do want to share this with you.

As stated:

"Thank you for contacting Mad Catz Europe Technical Support

Please be advised that we will offer drivers and software support for Windows 10. We are working on new drivers and software for our products.

Since the release of the Windows 10 changed the sale system for the Microsoft end user OS, the adoption rate for the Windows 10 is faster (practically almost any user becomes an early Windows 10 adopter - since the Windows 10 is now free for Windows 7/8.1 licence owners and there are a few people that would refuse a free upgrade) this means that we did not have a lot of time for the the testing of our Windows 10 drivers and software.

However, this is one of the most important part of the a new driver generation release as we need to be sure that the drivers and software are stable before the release. That's why there are no Windows 10 drivers and software available on our website (yet).

Best regards,

Technical/Customer Support Rep"

Edited by PowerShot-x

PowerShot-x

This is just hilarious ... and so sad at the same time...

It is like Saitek/Madcatz just didn't knew about Windows 10.

My issue with X-55/Windows 10 so far :

- Keyboard binding spams while moving the throttle

- Whole computer lockup when unplugging the X-55 (have to hard reboot)

As for the "no Win10 ready drivers yet", it is not like if Windows 10 preview wasn't available for several months.

:(

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

As for the "no Win10 ready drivers yet", it is not like if Windows 10 preview wasn't available for several months.

I don't want to get booted of this forum, but Saitek is so full of crap, they left us flapping out in the wind.. some decent publication should rip them... :mad:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I don't want to get booted of this forum, but Saitek is so full of crap, they left us flapping out in the wind.. some decent publication should rip them... :mad:

It say a lot of how the company thinks when they do not put in all effort in a such a major and important update. This is in a scale where they only should have used days to get this fixed. How do they invest my money when I purchase their hardware from them. Is it just to sell and make their own money without some sense of justice and integrity. I see there is more hardware that have slow update like this. It's alright for them that we purchase their stuff, but there it stops. Their eager to make hardware but lazy to make software, so the strength in support misses.

If this happens in a game console or a game, that being shut down over a periods of days, even if it's not their fault. They sometime give compensation for missing playing time, or their working hard to get it up online again. What about hardware as joysticks, and importent tools in game. Are they not obligated to support us? :pilotfly:

One that amazed me is Logitech, that had their Windows 10 driver up and going already. Not that I'm a fan of Logitech, even if they have some good stuff. But hey, I have a G19 keyboard, it's old, and no problem with supported drivers and software at Windows 10 launch.

We can consider us lucky that this is such a major update for Windows 10, if not we had for sure had to wait more months or a year. But let us hope that Saitek really is doing something new and break true in what their making, if we should believe in their quote:

"However, this is one of the most important part of the a new driver generation release as we need to be sure that the drivers and software are stable before the release. That's why there are no Windows 10 drivers and software available on our website (yet)."

PowerShot-x