X-55 Rhino Hotas Issues and Problems

How can these companies, TM and Saitek, fail to create something that is solid and stable?

What kind of quality control is in their manufacturer process?

I was really hoping to get this HOTAS but again, it's just sounding like a big risk. Kinda stuck with what to go with now. Guess I'll go and buy an X52 Pro again in order to get back in to DCS.

Corsair 550D / Be Quiet 650W Pro 10 / ASUS P8Z77-V Pro / Intel i5 3570K / 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz / EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2 4GB / 128GB Samsung 830 / RME HDSPe Multiface 2 / 1TB Samsung F3 / Prolimatech Megalames Rev. B / Windows 10 / BenQ XL2420T / Saitek X52 Pro / Kone Pure+ / Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still having issues, but they do not occur as often. I am going to map my both my throttles to Rotary 4, and disable the throttles in the Madcatz software with the lock buttons for now, and see what happens while waiting for a solution from Madcatz. At least it is flyable this way,and you get full use of all the switches.

Meanwhile, Amazon has them in stock again, and I ordered a replacement. I will have both Hotas's until I have to send one back in early June.

How can these companies, TM and Saitek, fail to create something that is solid and stable?

What kind of quality control is in their manufacturer process?

I was really hoping to get this HOTAS but again, it's just sounding like a big risk. Kinda stuck with what to go with now. Guess I'll go and buy an X52 Pro again in order to get back in to DCS.

Keep in mind that in this thread you only hear of the bad stories. How many success stories do you think there are?

mine is back too ghosting now as well:(:mad::doh:

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

Still having issues, but they do not occur as often. I am going to map my both my throttles to Rotary 4, and disable the throttles in the Madcatz software with the lock buttons for now, and see what happens while waiting for a solution from Madcatz. At least it is flyable this way,and you get full use of all the switches.

Meanwhile, Amazon has them in stock again, and I ordered a replacement. I will have both Hotas's until I have to send one back in early June.

It was in stock today? I am signed up for notifications if it comes back in and I didn't get anything, now it's gone again.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

mine is back too ghosting now as well:(:mad::doh:

One thing I did do this morning that may have helped, is when the ghosting starts, pause the game, move the throttle levers back and forth several times full throw, and resume. I turned my LED's all the way down as well. Something has to be going on inside that throttle mechanism.

Received a replacement X55 today.....Same issue.

I'm almost willing to live with it since it is much superior to the X52 non pro I have been using, just wish Madcatz would respond with some support

People experiencing the ghost button issue, are you running a wireless network card? I'm thinking maybe some type of interference. Just disabled mine for diagnostic purposes

Edit, that didn't help

Edited by Jamey

I´ve just received my new X-55 and i´m very happy with it. By now no issues, no ghost buttons, no flaws.

But i have a question. I came from a X-45, an in that joy the mouse axis in the throttle could be configured like buttons in a 8 or 4 way. In my A-10C profile i used this mouse as buttons for slew and was very accurated.

Now in the X-55 the mouse axis can´t be assigned as buttons, only with bands it could be reproduced a similar slew movement but by far it´s a lot less accurated.

Anyone knows how to use the mouse axis as the slew for the A-10C with more precision and accurated movement?

Thanks.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Anyone have the X-55 working on Windows 8.1? I installed over a previous X-52 (not pro) installation, and can't get the MadCatz H.U.D. to recognize the joystick (it sees the throttle). the OS sees the joystick (somewhat) and it appears to work in DCS. I just can't configure it, nor get the profiler to work properly.

I opened a ticket on the Mad Catz site, but they have been ignoring me.

Anyone have the X-55 working on Windows 8.1? I installed over a previous X-52 (not pro) installation, and can't get the MadCatz H.U.D. to recognize the joystick (it sees the throttle). the OS sees the joystick (somewhat) and it appears to work in DCS. I just can't configure it, nor get the profiler to work properly.

I opened a ticket on the Mad Catz site, but they have been ignoring me.

Hi!

Im new at dcs and I have just purchased the x55.. Seeing the exact same problem as described above.

After installation, it worked perfect, loading profiles, worked in dcs. After a reboot, the MadCatz software all of a sudden doesnt respond/recongnize the stick in the calibration window.

But it works were you assign the buttons etc and works in the game. But no profile can be loaded.

Win 8.1 on intel i5 and asus motherboard.. have tried changing usbports and installing/uninstalling the stuff.. no change. :(

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Okay, I made some progress.

I uninstalled all drivers and software, then re-installed everything.

I get two identical icons in the tray. One is for the throttle and the other for joystick. There is no way to tell them apart. Best I can tell, you need to load two different profiles. I'll have to experiment with that. Clicking on one will launch the HUD, and you can calibrate the throttle. Clicking on the other allows you to work on the joystick.

Either one allows you to program both devices. but I"m not sure if what you create applies to both of them or not.

I love the device, but the software needs improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine just pointed me to this thread...

I have had 4 Support Tickets in with Saitek Support starting last February!! They were all about programming with the HUD and driver issues that would send repeating keypresses when I just pressed a button once or if I held the button down. They NEVER asked me even once if I used TEAMSPEAK! I used to have my x52 pro plugged into a USB Hub for years. And they never asked me where I had the x55 plugged in either. As a matter of fact, they had absolutely no 'Standard Procedure' or script that they followed to find out important information. They were totally useless...

Thanks for documenting the solution to this TS bug here. My x55 Rhino seems to actually be working after 4 months of driving me crazy!! I love the stick, but I hate the company. They are complete morons.

PS: If you have problems with your x55 Rhino, also don't use a USB HUB. Mine caused delayed commands to be sent about 30 seconds later.

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I just got my X-55 today. I installed the drivers, but not the HUD software. DCS recognizes the HOTAS perfectly, it calibrates dead center, and all buttons are immediately responsive.

It might be because I have one of the newer batches directly from Saitek and they've fixed some of the issues, but if you're only using the HOTAS with DCS, I highly recommend NOT installing the HUD software. Install the drivers only.

486DX w/turbo button

Hey everyone, I signed up to this site to try and provide you with a possible solution to your ghost key presses with the X55 throttle.

I had the same issues and to resolve it I installed the USB3 drivers from my motherboard provider as well as a tweak in the PC bios. The thing I think fixed it was disabling Legacy USB Support in said bios. Since doing that all the issues have stopped and the unit has been pretty fantastic.

Hope this helps you as I couldn't find a solution online but hopefully this is a universal fix for everyone with the problem!

Need to be careful with disabling Legacy USB Support on some motherboards, it will cause the bios to not recognize your usb keyboard and mouse.

You won't be able to get back into the bios during booting without a PS2 keyboard or resetting the bios defaults.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Need to be careful with disabling Legacy USB Support on some motherboards, it will cause the bios to not recognize your usb keyboard and mouse.

You won't be able to get back into the bios during booting without a PS2 keyboard or resetting the bios defaults.

As far as I know it shouldn't effect that many people in this day in age if any since most chipsets now support USB on bootup and Legacy support is just for USB 1.0 devices. Go back to pre 2003ish and you may have a problem but doubt anyone playing this sim will have such and old piece of hardware.

Would just advise anyone trying it to know how to reset the bios to defaults before they disable Legacy to be on the safe side. Or to start with ensuring their USB3.0 drivers are installed correctly from their manufacturer as I did.

Yea, I guess I worded it a little wrong, should have said it may cause the bios to not recognize the devices.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip