View Poll Results: Do you want the Dassault Rafale in DCS
YES 175 75.43%
NO 57 24.57%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2020, 06:12 AM   #81
Furiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
Anyway I wouldn't get my hopes too high for a Rafale module (even though I'd insta-buy it). Just getting the Mirage 2000-5 would be great already (datalink yay!)

Guess you are correct, Rafale is a little bit more advanced than anything we have here.

Yep the Mirage 2000-5 would interesting indeed!
Furiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #82
Bananabrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar98 View Post
Eh, even with the Typhoon being developed I'm still kinda against Gen IV+ aircraft in DCS - literally no other asset is of the same era apart from BLUFOR. I mean I thought even the F-16C Block 50 and F/A-18C Lot 20 (both mid-2000s) were pushing it...

(...)

These IMO would be much better fits.
  • Lockheed F-104G Starfighter
  • General Dynamics F-111F Aardvark
  • SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1A/GR.3/GR.3A
  • Panavia Tornado IDS
  • McDonnell Douglas F-4S / K / J / E / M Phantom II
  • Grumman A-6E TRAM/SWIP Intruder
  • Fiat G.91R/3 / R/4
  • Dassault Mirage F1CT / CT-200
  • McDonell Douglas F-15A
  • General Dynamics F-16C Block 40
  • Dassault Mirage 50 (w. RADAR)
This list is awesome

I totaly agree to your opinion, partly for other reasons, but with the same result.
One small thing though. The situation we have in DCS could replicate a conflict of modern US with a country that still uses that old tech.
What we can not do is replicate the potential conflicts that we have the maps for...
So no offense, I'm with you here. Would rather like to see 70s-90s tech
Old 07-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #83
Northstar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
But DCS isn't just about multiplayer. Or public MP servers.
Even so, in SP the problem of no contemporary assets still factors, it's just the players don't complain. I'm still taking aircraft that are up against stuff that are, on average, 20 years or so out of date.

Can I still be killed? Absolutely.

Is it super hard to avoid getting killed? Not really, not unless I purposefully outnumber myself (i.e taking 2 Hornets all by themselves up against a reasonably substantial, layered air defence system, on terrain where I can't really mask myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananabrai View Post
I totaly agree to your opinion, partly for other reasons, but with the same result.
One small thing though. The situation we have in DCS could replicate a conflict of modern US with a country that still uses that old tech.
What we can not do is replicate the potential conflicts that we have the maps for...
So no offense, I'm with you here. Would rather like to see 70s-90s tech
Oh yeah, and none-taken - everybody is more than welcome to disagree with me, I'm just giving my perspective on it.

And yes, you can simulate advanced stuff taking on non-peer opponents, that's fine. The problem though, is that at the moment it's basically the only thing you can do when using these more modern aircraft, and especially so with Gen IV+

I mean the F/A-18C Lot 20 and F-16C Block 50 represent mid-ish 2000s variants of aircraft from the late 70s (F-16) to mid-ish 80s (F/A-18). Now these already eclipse damn near everything else, with only 1 notable exception (and it's not even really REDFOR). Now enter Gen 4+/Gen 4.5 well they eclipse the Hornet and the F-16 in pretty much every aspect, which already eclipsed everything else, so all we've done is made the problem worse.

At the same time its aircraft that are definitely going to be more of a challenge to develop and finish (from every way you look at it) when compared to earlier Gen IV and Gen III. I mean, look at all the effort that went into the Heatblur tomcat (currently, probably the best and most immersive module, and one that probably best fits DCS as it is currently), an earlier Gen IV aircraft variant from the early 90s. So far it has taken Heatblur ~5 years to get to where it is now, and for the most part it's feature complete (all weapons and sensors, we're not missing a heck of a lot).

Now if it takes 5 years to get an aircraft from the early 90s (though a variant of one from mid 70s) What's it going to be like for aircraft way more advanced? Sure there have been periods where the F-16 and F/A-18 have had some nice development, they're still not finished yet, and probably won't be until at least 2021, and this is still a legacy Hornet and an F-16, it's still a far stretch away from more modern Gen IV+ / 4.5 with their advanced and often electronically steered phased array RADARs - we've got nothing like them in any hi-fi aircraft as of yet, and especially in the case of AESA they're radically different to what we're used to. In fact there's only 2 aircraft that I can think of (the AJS-37 and F-14B), that actually have their respective RADARs finished (or basically finished) whilst being accurate to real thing, and these are RADARs from the 70s...

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB SSD

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qdrM4n

Last edited by Northstar98; 07-08-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Northstar98 is offline   Reply With Quote