Rift S Users - Performance Increase - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #11
Tundra

based on your reports, I look forward to trying it out this weekend
i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | 250 Gb 970 EVO SSD | GTX 1080 | Virpil MongooseT-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Virpil desk mount | Saitek rudder pedals | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3 TM MFDs | Realteus ForceFeel | Saitek Pro Flight Switch Panel
FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - NTTR - PG - Mi8 - SuperCarrier
Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #12
Sirbum

i think the problem with this though is you lock your Rift to that for anything you play. So things you may have better fps with because they are more optimized will now have less
Sirbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #13
Bob_Bushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
Cool! However, will this create even more ASW artifacts and ghosting?
Most likely indeed.
In fact I would say anytning below 40 native is below my threshold to tolerate.

I have and tested the Pimax 5k at 32, and it was simply not enjoyable.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:10 PM   #14
VirusAM

Send a message via MSN to VirusAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirbum View Post
i think the problem with this though is you lock your Rift to that for anything you play. So things you may have better fps with because they are more optimized will now have less

You can use Oculus tray tool and setup profiles
Joystick grips: TM Hornet, F14, Kg12
Throttles: Winwing Super Taurus
Hardware: MFG Crosswind Rudder, 4 Thrustmaster Cougar MFD, Logitech G13
VR:HP reverb
VirusAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:29 PM   #15
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Bushman View Post
Most likely indeed.
In fact I would say anytning below 40 native is below my threshold to tolerate.

I have and tested the Pimax 5k at 32, and it was simply not enjoyable.
Yep I can tolerate ASW of 40 fps and to me really still looks pretty good. Drop much below that and is a no go for me.

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #16
kurtz667

For me this works flawless, no artifacts and the 27 fps feels actually smoother then the 40 fps.
Even in mp, it never felt so smooth tbh.
PC setup: I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Oculus rift s
kurtz667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:12 PM   #17
razalom

Thanks for this will try it tonight. The current state of VR in DCS has really removed my interest in playing
razalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:55 AM   #18
streakeagle

I tend to fly instant action or custom made air-to-air dogfight missions which typically only have 2 to 8 aircraft, so I can fly vr fairly well without this kind of trick. But in multiplayer or in certain missions that require a lot more horsepower, I have to turn a lot of settings down.

A particular instant action mission I use as a benchmark for judging if my settings are good enough for multiplayer is the MiG-15bis instant action dogfight over Normandy. The Normandy terrain is not particularly kind on performance, but this is a high altitude fight with lots of aircraft on both sides and contrails everywhere. With high settings, I get a slide show. Even with setting dumbed down as low as I am willing to go, the fps can get low.

So, I tried this MiG-15bis mission with this 27fps override. I am impressed. It doesn't solve everything, but I can run the settings up much higher including shadows and mostly maintain the 27 fps steady. There can be some ghosting, but it seems like a lot less than with 40 fps. I expected the 27 fps to look choppy when rolling at high rates. I can easily judge refresh rates from 30 to 45 to 90 by how they look at max roll rates. I am impressed. 27 fps would normally look like a slide show to me, but this looks almost as smooth as 45 fps. Overall, I can enjoy this mission a lot more with higher quality and fairly steady 27 fps rather than at low quality and an unsteady 40 fps.

I just wish DCS World could be optimized to for multi-core so that rock solid 80 fps would be possible at max settings... because Aerofly FS 2 is utterly amazing in VR with its photoreal world at a locked steady 80 fps with max quality settings. Of course, they have no AI of any kind unless you get a mod for the Florida Keys, and the terrain is 100% texture based: no waves or wakes, just hi res photos. But I so badly want to see DCS World run at that level and do so with a headset that has a full, natural field of view and pixels so small I can't see them. One can only dream.

In the mean time, I have to choose between quality and fps to enjoy DCS World in VR. Or be bored flying circles with no one to dogfight in Aerofly FS 2.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:08 AM   #19
streakeagle

So, I did a follow up test, where I played the exact same mission with the exact same settings, but turned ASW off. With ASW off, my frame rates had three stable points: 70-80, 40-42, and 27-28, so Oculus is obviously doing some kind of VSYNC that I don't have turned on via the game or the gpu driver. Playing with ASW off did sometimes have a slight stutter, but for the most part, it looked as good as playing at a steady 27 fps. More importantly, virtually no ghosting. So over the next few days, I am going to start playing with ASW off and see how that does in the missions I typically play offline as well as in multiplayer. If it gets ugly, I will try 27 fps again. But I suspect my best bet would be to play with ASW off and my settings lowered for speed. Staying at 40 to 80 fps with no ghosting would be better for me than having shadows and hi res terrain textures.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:25 AM   #20
streakeagle

Played again with my previous low quality/high fps settings mixes with ASW off: for dogfighting this is the way to go. I didn't see stuttering or ghosting, things just look a little uglier when I stop to sight see.
I think the 27fps setting would be better for non-combat missions where you are more focused on the map/ground objects rather than rapid pitching/rolling/turning in a swarm of aircraft.