[MiG-21bis] Updated GSh-23 Cannon Sound

[MiG-21bis] Updated GSh-23 Cannon Sound

Description

Everyone that has had the misfortune of hearing the terrible MiG-21bis cannon sound in external view can attest that it really needs to be changed. It sounds fake, lacks bass and doesn't sound like a GSh-23 firing 3,400-3,600 rounds/min like it should.

For some reason Leatherneck left the MiG-21bis gun as the default DCS "Plane Cannon" sound which sounds terrible in my opinion. This small mod replaces the sound of the MiG-21bis' gun with the sound of the UPK-23 gunpod. The UPK-23 uses the same gun as the MiG-21bis so this is the accurate sound of the real MiG-21bis gun.

I take no credit for creating the sound as this mod just overrides the "PlaneCannon.ogg" generic sound with the UPK-23 sound (No longer as of v1.2, now uses this sound edited by Rlaxoxo). I just figured this would be helpful for those that don't want to look through the DCS World filesystem.

Warning: This mod will also replace the gun sounds of the Mirage 2000C and SA342 Gazelle because they all reference the same sound asset (Why ED why). In my opinion it is worth it because the original sound is so horrible but let it be known.

Comparison Video:

Download Link v1.2: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0BxpLx1-UMEbWVjByQ2lhTjA0M0U

v1.2 Changes:

• Rlaxoxo (http://www.reddit.com/u/Rlaxoxo) kindly gave me some new beefy sounds from a real MiG-21bis GSh-23 cannon recording, these sound a lot clearer in the cockpit so I included them.

Older Versions:

v1.1

• Now works with DCS v1.5.4.57288.170 after ED moved the location of the sound files

v1.0

• Original Version

Install Instructions: Install as you would with any JSGME mod: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

Edited by Quaggles

Thanks! Hopefully we can mod in cockpit too, would be nice.

You know I just played around with the sounds and I think the in-cockpit sound is correct even without the mod. Put on two UPK-23-250 gunpods and compare the sounds with the main cannon in the cockpit. They sound pretty similar with the obvious difference being you have 2 UPK-23-250's firing at once. It seems like it was just the external sound that was bugged.

Edit: It seems like the in-cockpit GSh-23 gun sound is the GSh23.wav sound being passed through a filter, so to summarise:

Without the mod:

• MiG-21bis GSh-23 In-Cockpit Sound - Correct
  • MiG-21bis GSh-23 External Sound - Incorrect
  • UPK-23-250 In-Cockpit Sound - Correct
  • UPK-23-250 External Sound - Correct

With the mod:

• MiG-21bis GSh-23 In-Cockpit Sound - Correct
  • MiG-21bis GSh-23 External Sound - Correct
  • UPK-23-250 In-Cockpit Sound - Correct
  • UPK-23-250 External Sound - Correct

Edited by Quaggles

• 8 months later...
Updated mod to v1.1

Link: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0BxpLx1-UMEbWNk5BVl9xUjBQc2s

Changes:

• Now works with DCS v1.5.4.57288.170 after ED moved the location of the sound files

Hey man, just FYI the in cockpit sound for the MiG 21 as of the latest build can be modded- for some reason it shares the same sound file as the Gazelle! I will post the exact file location today. I know because I was modding the Gazelle cannon sound and noticed the MiG used the same one.

The files you are talking about are these right?:

\CoreMods\aircraft\SA342\Sounds\Effects\Weapons\PlaneCannon.ogg
\CoreMods\aircraft\SA342\Sounds\Effects\Weapons\PlaneEnd.ogg

I noted this in the readme file:

DCS changed the location of the generic 'Plane cannon' sound from \Sounds\Effects\Weapons\ to \CoreMods\aircraft\SA342\Sounds\Effects\Weapons\

The mod is now updated to replace these new files, be aware that this also effects the gun sounds for the Mirage 2000C (Actually fits better than the current sound)

and possible the SA342 (I don't own it to test) so keep that in mind.

Not sure why this sound is now in the SA342 folder but it's frustrating that a scout helicopter and two interceptors are still using the same cannon sound and there is no way to set individual sounds for each. Hopefully the devs can get around to fixing this.

Yea! That's it.

Agreed- they should not use the same sound. The action time, impulse and rate of fire for those two weapons systems are very different, but the Devs have a very full work plate!

I think it just might be possible to change the sounds the aircraft use- I'll be working on that tonight so I will report back

Quaggles for the president :D ! Man, I spent so much time searching for this goddamn default sample LN used, to replace it - never expected it to be hidden in SA342 folder! Thanks very much for this update.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 1 year later...

This mod's interior sound no longer works with latest beta without modifying a different sound file. The MiG now uses Gsh301in.wav under CoreMods\aircraft\ChinaAssetPack\Sounds\Effects\Weapons\Automatic. Mod still works as is for exterior gun sound.

i7 7700k, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080, 500 GB NVMe m.2 SSD, Trackir 3 Pro, Gunfighter Mk I w/MCG; Mod. TM Cougar throttle and Mod. CH Pro Pedals w/Pro Micro + MMjoy2, Nostromo n52