New 2020 update sounds great! - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 05:09 PM   #11
Avimimus

If just wish there was some information about FC4 or support for FC3 aircraft now that MAC is officially a separate product... the Su-25 could really benefit from having an ability to adjust cluster-bomb presets (now that the modelling is designed around aircraft with complex systems) and we've been waiting for years for an overhaul of warhead effects modelling...

P.S. I find it amazing that my excitement around so many expansions and announced features could actually be dampened by this question... it makes me question my own judgment. I guess I just really like ground attack and Russian aircraft - it is weirdly the majority of the sim for me (in spite of owning several clickable high-detail modules).
Avimimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #12
Baco

Well, I have mixed feelings.
Yes DCS is the best combat flight sim out there. in fact the only one being worked on.
The frustrating part is the enormouse potential it has, and thats why we whine. Because even thow it is the best is far from perfect. I perfectly understand that being so complex it has bugs. Still, it could be a lot better.

I would pay 250 bucks for an updated engine that can port the modules I have.
Baco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:21 PM   #13
SmirkingGerbil

Goals are good. ED/DCS having them is a good thing.

Even better that they share them with us.

Managing large complex projects that span South America, North America, Europe, Russia, China - goals are how we move forward and set targets, we don't always hit them.

Same for ED/DCS - glad they set goals, glad they share them with us, not holding them to anything. Pretty aggressive schedule they have there, glad to be part of what they can accomplish, and thankful to take advantage of it.
SmirkingGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:45 PM   #14
Paco
Veteran

I sympathize with Flarpt. I love DCS as well and have many hours playing the game.... but I'm frustrated with the lack of progress on unfinished modules only to see more unfinished modules being rolled out. Count me as one who is not buying any more modules until there's more progress on the ones that are in perpetual "Beta".
Sorry DCS, just voicing my opinion.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:58 PM   #15
ineptaphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
I sympathize with Flarpt. I love DCS as well and have many hours playing the game.... but I'm frustrated with the lack of progress on unfinished modules only to see more unfinished modules being rolled out. Count me as one who is not buying any more modules until there's more progress on the ones that are in perpetual "Beta".
Agreed. The jets and maps are beautiful...But we've nothing to do in them. We need more campaigns, missions, dynamic campaigns. AS well as software optimisation/improvments
ineptaphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:56 AM   #16
CoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
Well said. My thoughts exactly!
Old 01-15-2020, 06:47 AM   #17
ignition22

I don't agree much about the performance complaints. I run a PC I bought second hand for $1k about 3 years ago and its fine. Pretty similar performance to iracing and other games I play.

You also have to remember that many FPS games run on the same few engines as each other which means there is a lot more time and money that can go into those engines. FPS games have been done over and over where as DCS is breaking new ground and boundaries.

Quote:
these patches seem to have the tendency to break other things, which then need patching in return
This is how software development works. Software is extremely complex and humans are by nature not very good at building it.

Spending 75% of your effort finding the last 5% of the bugs before release is not viable for dev companies hence why there is a beta release channel. Its accepted for near all non mission critical software that you know that bugs will be released accidentally and found by users.

Quote:
Complaints about Vulkan taking a long time and no time lines given
Imagine a major metropolitan city decides to widen all of their sub way tracks. A massive undertaking that is to take years. Over such a long project goal posts inevitably move, large unexpected problems are discovered and need to be addressed, things are done once then need to be redone again and again as new lessons are learned and standards are redefined, important people leave the project and are replaced with people that take months to build up the same knowledge and capability. Big projects take a long time and projects done over a long time inevitably change substantially.

A very big % of large software projects fail and attaching a strict delivery date is often a contributing factor to that failure as towards the end quality is sacrificed for the expectation that doing so will increase output. Also the internet enables toxic people to spew toxic stuff and influence other people to their way of thinking. Providing timelines even when stated a thousand times that they are subject to change gives those toxic people more things to be toxic about.

DCS has been around 10 years probably with maybe a hundred people contributing to and changing the code base at any one time when you include all the 3rd parties. I think people that haven't worked in software don't realise just how massive and complex that project code bases can become.

People used to complain that DCS World 2 was taking forever but it came out eventually and it was a great upgrade. I'm sure ED will complete and release the changes as soon as they are able. Personally I wouldn't expect anything this year.

Last edited by ignition22; 01-15-2020 at 06:55 AM.
ignition22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #18
draconus
DCS Ground Crew

Some people complain. It's sometimes good, because it means they care, they want things better and sooner. But other complain no matter what - it's just the type. But the truth is DCS is doing fine for years and only grows and getting better. Don't pretend like you know better how to make business or how software should be developed. You bought unfinished product - it was your money and your choice. You don't enjoy the journey - don't do it next time, please. Both DCS and VR is demanding so it's normal that it'll eat any PC hardware you put it against. It's not console game to guarantee you 60fps and graphic options are there for a reason. Now see my sig - yeah, it's cheap and I play 1080p still enjoying the sim.
draconus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #19
Bearskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post

Maybe ED will cater more and more to the small crowd that can throw money at ultrapotent PC systems to compensate for the engine in order to enjoy MP or complex missions.

Regards,

Snappy

I cant agree with this mate, I am running on a 7+ year old machine with a Rift and I am more than happy with the performance, even on multiplayer with 20+ aircraft flying. Sure I have a 2080 now but DCS was still OK with my 970 for the 6 months with the Rift before I upgraded to the 2080.

I am itching to upgrade as I used to build a new PC every 18 to 24 months, but my PC at the moment still plays everything I want to play, at good frame rates too.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #20
Bearskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmirkingGerbil View Post
Goals are good. ED/DCS having them is a good thing.

Even better that they share them with us.

Managing large complex projects that span South America, North America, Europe, Russia, China - goals are how we move forward and set targets, we don't always hit them.

Same for ED/DCS - glad they set goals, glad they share them with us, not holding them to anything. Pretty aggressive schedule they have there, glad to be part of what they can accomplish, and thankful to take advantage of it.

I am with you mate, I haven't even read what is coming out in 2020, I just start DCS and enjoy the game.