Marianas islands Map - Page 22 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #211
twistking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
Why?? I suppose it'll be same map with time switching feature.[...]
Firstly many players would not even realize, that they could change the timeframe.
Secondly it would still be two maps technically, because from a technical point of view there would be no reason to dynamically repopulate the map. Seperate maps would be simpler and easier to maintain, with no disadvantage in doing so. Normal playsessions simply don't last for 50 years...
Also consider that topology will be different, not only objects and textures.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #212
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Why?? I suppose it'll be same map with time switching feature.

S!
Yeah, my personal hope is it will be based on time setting in the ME, but as this would be a new feature, I am not sure how it will work right now.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #213
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
Yeah, my personal hope is it will be based on time setting in the ME, but as this would be a new feature, I am not sure how it will work right now.
Exactly, new feature developed so other maps can take advantage of it afterwards. It's the only way that makes sense to me, "technically two maps" or not.

S!
Old 01-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #214
twistking

Quote:
Exactly, new feature developed so other maps can take advantage of it afterwards. It's the only way that makes sense to me, "technically two maps" or not.[...]
It would not make sense, as it would require you to load in one version of the map, just to change the timeframe, resulting in reloading a big chunk of data (mesh, textures, objects) and potentially messing up your current mission, because airports and objects change. Sound like an UX nightmare to me.
I can see the point of changing the season with the time setting on the fly, because you may want to change seasons on an existing mission or just toy around with it, but i can't see the benefit of switching between WWII and modern age on the fly.

Additionaly be very aware of DCS memory allocation and how it handles seasons (seasonal texture swap) at the moment (hint: extremely badly). To be fair, i hope memory allocation will be improved with vulkan, but i'll also only believe it, when i see it.

Last edited by twistking; 01-14-2020 at 06:11 PM.
twistking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:53 PM   #215
Hiromachi

One thing to check is the island topography. I'd be surprised if coastline didnt change at all and some parts of island weren't "reshaped" throughout past 60 - 70 years. Two separate maps, although mostly similar, but with differing shapes, objects and facilities would make sense to me.
AMD Ryzen 3900X @ 4.6 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / GTX 1080Ti @ 2010 Mhz core / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / Philips Momentum 436M6VBPAB/00 4K Quantum Dot HDR Monitor / VIRPIL T-50CM / MFG Crosswinds / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic110693_1.gif
Hiromachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #216
Hiromachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistking View Post
I'm sure that they already knew it was coming. The new map was always rumored to have WWII capabilities and after the announcements all mods would reliably dodge my questions about a WWII set.
I guess that they were simply not ready to show anything WWII related and wanted to announce it later with some pictures to back it up. Since Nick Grey is probably not involved in the finer details of marketing and announcments, he may have blatted it out a bit prematurely...

Very good to hear that it will be free also. I just hope, we'll get at least a minimal set of japanese assets with it: A handful of japanese ground units, one or two japanese AI aircraft, some unit reskins of US army to US marines...
It's not so easy. Marianas defense in 1944 was a top priority so you would see both Japanese Army and Navy involved - not only in typical split, as Army would focuse on ground defense and Navy aerial and naval operations. In this case I believe IJN also deployed some coastal defense units and most importantly Yokosuka SNLF (sort of Japanese Marines) defending Navy sector of the Saipan, near Tanapag Harbor. For the defense of Saipan and Tinian you could ask for assets in form of artillery, tanks (on Saipan there were 48 Japanese tanks), various types of infantry.

Then you have the IJN, which saw a much greater variety of ships than USN at that point. Getting into assets details is tricky
AMD Ryzen 3900X @ 4.6 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / GTX 1080Ti @ 2010 Mhz core / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / Philips Momentum 436M6VBPAB/00 4K Quantum Dot HDR Monitor / VIRPIL T-50CM / MFG Crosswinds / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic110693_1.gif
Hiromachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:21 PM   #217
twistking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromachi View Post
[...]Getting into assets details is tricky
Oh dear! I see that it's more complicated than i expected...
Old 01-15-2020, 05:20 PM   #218
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistking View Post
It would not make sense, as it would require you to load in one version of the map, just to change the timeframe, resulting in reloading a big chunk of data (mesh, textures, objects) and potentially messing up your current mission, because airports and objects change. Sound like an UX nightmare to me.
I can see the point of changing the season with the time setting on the fly, because you may want to change seasons on an existing mission or just toy around with it, but i can't see the benefit of switching between WWII and modern age on the fly.

Additionaly be very aware of DCS memory allocation and how it handles seasons (seasonal texture swap) at the moment (hint: extremely badly). To be fair, i hope memory allocation will be improved with vulkan, but i'll also only believe it, when i see it.
Definitely ED can never please everybody. Who would have imagined after all the fuss and people asking for time dependant maps you don't want them now they are close enough .

I'm not saying it's an easy task, I'm not saying I've the faintest about how ED will tackle with it which I don't, I'm not saying all the problems you point out wouldn't be there. Still what doesn't make sense at all is making two different maps of the same area for different dates. I only know ED's goal in the future is to model the whole Earth integrating all the map in one which makes sense would be date dependant so we only pick up where and when we want to fly. For technical problems and decisions I rely on ED's criteria, we'll see what they come up with .

S!
Old 01-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #219
Jester986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromachi View Post
One thing to check is the island topography. I'd be surprised if coastline didnt change at all and some parts of island weren't "reshaped" throughout past 60 - 70 years. Two separate maps, although mostly similar, but with differing shapes, objects and facilities would make sense to me.
It would be nice if the modeled changes in topography but I'll give ED a pass on that. I doubt the changes would have any significant affect on any scenarios.
Jester986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #220
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester986 View Post
It would be nice if the modeled changes in topography but I'll give ED a pass on that. I doubt the changes would have any significant affect on any scenarios.
I would guess the big changes would be "flattening" for urban areas, airports etc. And changes in harbours.