The dogfight switch - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #21
Eagle7907

Default Dogfight mode

Is it just me or is dogfight mode completely useless? I do TMS up to put the radar to boresight and it brings up the symbology on the HUD, but it won't lock anything. I did this with a Mig 29 coming right at me and passed me head on. No lock.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:24 PM   #22
antsh

There is an interesting bug/WIP issue with boresite right now. When you TMS up it will slew the radar to where you are looking (and every time you press TMS up it updates to where you are looking). This is how boresite locking works with the helmet display right now. If you TMS down after this it will return to boresight mode looking down the hud as you expect.

You can actually watch this happen on the FCR. Look up and to the right for example and press TMS UP, you'll see the radar beam will move up and right (look at the carats on the edges). Once you press TMS down, it will re-center vertically and start to move very quickly around 1-2 degrees horizontally (and now a boresite lock down the hud will work).

Hopefully once we get dynamic helmet boresite following implemented like the hornet, this wont be an issue anymore.
antsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #23
Skyracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle7907 View Post
Is it just me or is dogfight mode completely useless? I do TMS up to put the radar to boresight and it brings up the symbology on the HUD, but it won't lock anything. I did this with a Mig 29 coming right at me and passed me head on. No lock.
It is work in progress
MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView
Skyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:23 AM   #24
Eagle7907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyracer View Post
It is work in progress

Of course it is, but my post was seeking confirmation if it indeed did not work or if I was doing something wrong. It sounds more like it’s just not finished. Is there another way to engage bandits in WVR without relying on dogfight mode?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-12-2020, 04:34 AM   #25
antsh

Apart from using the boresight mode like I described vertical scan and hud scan mode work fine in dogfight mode.
antsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:29 PM   #26
CarbonFox

Pretty much trying to achieve a radar lock on anything is a nightmare at the moment. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon.
CarbonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:20 PM   #27
deadpool

I just flew a mission where and was impressed with how many times a radar can lose lock at 20nm and then consequently not reaquire.

You slew the TDC on the target and press TMS UP and it just resets the cursor to center and you don't get anything.

The state of the F-16 is extremely frustrating. And sadly no updates since ages for those core problems.
deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #28
Eagle7907

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
I just flew a mission where and was impressed with how many times a radar can lose lock at 20nm and then consequently not reaquire.

You slew the TDC on the target and press TMS UP and it just resets the cursor to center and you don't get anything.

The state of the F-16 is extremely frustrating. And sadly no updates since ages for those core problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFox View Post
Pretty much trying to achieve a radar lock on anything is a nightmare at the moment. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

Really? I’m able to lock up pretty good with TWS. However that’s locking at co-altitude. I haven’t tried in the worse case scenario of being higher than bandit with ground clutter.

Also playing SP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-15-2020, 04:05 AM   #29
Notso

I have a related question about DGFT mode.... Everytime I use boresight or vertical to get a lock, if I then thumb forward to switch to MRM mode to use the AIM-120, it breaks the lock. Is this correct behavior? If so, how do I switch missile modes while in DGFT from AIM-9 to AIM-120 and back? There's been many a time I've missed a fleeting shot because I've broken lock trying to go to a -120. TIA.

i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, MSI Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON, 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Windows 10 Pro, HTC Vive Pro HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM T-flight Rudder pedals
Notso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:53 AM   #30
Deano87

Long press on Missile Step button (Otherwise known as nose-wheel steering button) will swap from Aim-9 to Aim-120 without leaving Dogfight mode.

Proud owner of:
PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs : 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.
My Screenshots
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote