The dogfight switch

Cintra

I just flew a mission where and was impressed with how many times a radar can lose lock at 20nm and then consequently not reaquire.

You slew the TDC on the target and press TMS UP and it just resets the cursor to center and you don't get anything.

The state of the F-16 is extremely frustrating. And sadly no updates since ages for those core problems.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

I just flew a mission where and was impressed with how many times a radar can lose lock at 20nm and then consequently not reaquire.

You slew the TDC on the target and press TMS UP and it just resets the cursor to center and you don't get anything.

The state of the F-16 is extremely frustrating. And sadly no updates since ages for those core problems.

Pretty much trying to achieve a radar lock on anything is a nightmare at the moment. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

Really? I’m able to lock up pretty good with TWS. However that’s locking at co-altitude. I haven’t tried in the worse case scenario of being higher than bandit with ground clutter.

Also playing SP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

I have a related question about DGFT mode.... Everytime I use boresight or vertical to get a lock, if I then thumb forward to switch to MRM mode to use the AIM-120, it breaks the lock. Is this correct behavior? If so, how do I switch missile modes while in DGFT from AIM-9 to AIM-120 and back? There's been many a time I've missed a fleeting shot because I've broken lock trying to go to a -120. TIA.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Long press on Missile Step button (Otherwise known as nose-wheel steering button) will swap from Aim-9 to Aim-120 without leaving Dogfight mode.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Long press on Missile Step button (Otherwise known as nose-wheel steering button) will swap from Aim-9 to Aim-120 without leaving Dogfight mode.

Ah, interesting. I will try that.

On a related note, is it correct that in DGFT mode, there are no ASE circles or Wez displays for either missile type when locked using an Auto-Acq mode? Seems odd that they don't appear once the lock has occurred. Or is that still WIP?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I have a related question about DGFT mode.... Everytime I use boresight or vertical to get a lock, if I then thumb forward to switch to MRM mode to use the AIM-120, it breaks the lock. Is this correct behavior? If so, how do I switch missile modes while in DGFT from AIM-9 to AIM-120 and back? There's been many a time I've missed a fleeting shot because I've broken lock trying to go to a -120. TIA.

The question remains though if it is correct behaviour that the lock gets dropped when moving the MSL OVRD switch.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The question remains though if it is correct behaviour that the lock gets dropped when moving the MSL OVRD switch.

Yes I believe this is behaving correctly. As you are changing Master modes it resets the sensor etc. You as if you are in a Dog fight you shouldn't need to switch master mode at all once merged with the bandit.

Yes I believe this is behaving correctly. As you are changing Master modes it resets the sensor etc. You as if you are in a Dog fight you shouldn't need to switch master mode at all once merged with the bandit.

It's sometimes helpful to get DLZ indications after locking up a bandit in DGFT OVRD, as DLZ indication is absent from DGFT OVRD mode AFAIK (or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Page 148 of the Early Access Guide shows the DLZ for the AIM-9X but it's not yet implemented

Oh, alright then. I hope that also applies to the AIM-7/AIM-120, because sometimes even a ACM-locked bandit is outside of Rmax for the AIM-9 (supersonic tail chase).

Tornado3 small.jpg

That behaviour is not correct, I tried to open a defect thread for it but my track didn't work for ED .. maybe you have better luck.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

This is a big negative.

Switching from AA to AG obviously drops lock due to changed Radar mode, but switching between NAV/AA/DGFT/MRM does *not* drop target.

This is a big negative.

Switching from AA to AG obviously drops lock due to changed Radar mode, but switching between NAV/AA/DGFT/MRM does *not* drop target.

You mean "it should not drop target"? Because currently it does drop target when using the DGFT OVRD switch.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

You mean "it should not drop target"? Because currently it does drop target when using the DGFT OVRD switch.

Affirm. Should *not* drop target.

Once in DGFT mode I can’t figure a way to switch back to navigation on HUD. It must be something simple but I’m stumped :cry:

Look in the option, controls. HOTAS section, dogfight switch center position will turn off Dogfight mode or Missile override.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

That behaviour is not correct, I tried to open a defect thread for it but my track didn't work for ED .. maybe you have better luck.

OK, I'll see if I can get a track of this. Should be easy to replicate.

And I didn't think it sounded correct to drop the lock when thumbing forward on the DFGT OVRD SW. Thanks.

HOTAS button for Slave/BORE

In a related area: In DGFT mode, is there a way (other than pressing the MFD OSB) that lets you toggle on the HOTAS between AIM-9X Slave and BORE quickly?

(I know I can bind the OSB to my stick, I'm asking if there's an official HOTAS button for it)?

Slave and bore is switched with the uncage button on the throttle and it works.

Shouldn't be.

Enable

AIM-9 Temporarily select alternate of SLAV/BORE setting

AIM-120 Temporarily select alternate of SLAV/BORE setting

Uncage

AIM-9 Consents to AIM-9 seeker uncage

AIM-120 Consents to boresighted AIM-120 launch

Remember that SLAV/BORE selection is set per missile and so it is possible to have six missiles with six independent choices. One can choose to put one AIM-9 SLAV and the other BORE and simple step missiles to have either configuration ready to fire.

How about the sub modes in Falcon 4 will they be modelled?

Can you be more specific what sub-modes of dogfight mode you mean that aren’t currently modelled?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.