zippoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
[16AGR] Glacier

Can SAMs engage the LS-6 in real life?
[16AGR] Glacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
Harlikwin
Veteran

DCS needs to figure this out on a basic engine level. I have 0 doubt SAM radars can "see" a jdam. Can they engage it in time? Would the missile do enough damage to a cast iron bomb casing?

The thing with glide bombs is that that they have a relatively long flight time. Which is part of the reason the JSOW is "stealthy".
Old 01-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #4
witness_me

stand-off munitions can and are engaged by surface to air weapons, typically though you wouldn't use a patriot for a bomb, rather you'd shoot down the airplane long before it gets within the 8-mile range required to lob a gen1 paveway for example

if somehow you end up with an airplane right on top of you dumping bombs or an incoming artillery round etc, the munition would then typically be engaged by a point defence system, e.g. a centurion or a mantis or pantsir etc
witness_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:44 PM   #5
Harlikwin
Veteran

Correct. The main issue is TOF of the weapon vs the reaction time of the defense system. In the case of glide weapons their TOF is basically forever compared to missiles/bombs. The JSOW program understood this, and tried to make the munition "stealthy" to make it harder to engage by those systems since by having a reduced RCS the detection range would be shorter (how this is actually modeled in DCS IDK). The GB-6 is "stealthish" like the JSOW, however the LS-6 is more or less a bomb with wings, and should have a much larger RCS, so if any munition is engage it should be the LS-6.

Last edited by Harlikwin; 01-13-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
witness_me

and some footage from training / real world interceptions etc if you're interested to see how these systems work @Glacier

https://youtu.be/KsVUISS8oHs?t=18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGTNAFxY-S4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrtDY2AGtlw

@Harlikwin - yep - I was just trying to answer Glacier's question, not objecting to your point - you're right the DCS team have to think this through a bit more at some point - I did ask the DEKA team for a point defence system to be included in the CAP (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=259887), i would guess if anyone is going to do it it's them

I don't think the DCS team has any plans to review A/A at the moment - i guess they have higher priority items in their backlog, which is unfortunate as it would bump the challenge level in the game massively - oh well

Last edited by witness_me; 01-13-2020 at 06:31 PM.
witness_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #7
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by witness_me View Post
and some footage from training / real world interceptions etc if you're interested to see how these systems work @Glacier

https://youtu.be/KsVUISS8oHs?t=18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGTNAFxY-S4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrtDY2AGtlw

@Harlikwin - yep - I was just trying to answer Glacier's question, not objecting to your point - you're right the DCS team have to think this through a bit more at some point - I did ask the DEKA team for a point defence system to be included in the CAP (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=259887), i would guess if anyone is going to do it it's them

I don't think the DCS team has any plans to review A/A at the moment - i guess they have higher priority items in their backlog, which is unfortunate as it would bump the challenge level in the game massively - oh well
NP. Nice vids. Though I do like the ability to trash sam installations. I'm gonna guess ED will do something about that with the IADS improvement thats coming at some point. Then I'll either have to be a whiner or learn to be a better VR pilot again . They already said they will "review" the LD-10 as well as the SD-10.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #8
CHRISXTR3M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Correct. The main issue is TOF of the weapon vs the reaction time of the defense system. In the case of glide weapons their TOF is basically forever compared to missiles/bombs. The JSOW program understood this, and tried to make the munition "stealthy" to make it harder to engage by those systems since by having a reduced RCS the detection range would be shorter (how this is actually modeled in DCS IDK). The GB-6 is "stealthish" like the JSOW, however the LS-6 is more or less a bomb with wings, and should have a much larger RCS, so if any munition is engage it should be the LS-6.

I don't understand what the argument truly is in this thread...BUT, I do bring forth that I have witnessed Roland sites and hawk sites taking out both my JSOW and LS-6. So the sams are capable of defending themselves from these weapons.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISXTR3M3 View Post
I don't understand what the argument truly is in this thread...BUT, I do bring forth that I have witnessed Roland sites and hawk sites taking out both my JSOW and LS-6. So the sams are capable of defending themselves from these weapons.
I've seen literally every shorad sam in the area enagage the LS-6/GB-6 when fired now but never a hawk site (could be that I tend to shoot LD-10s first though). I just wasn't looking for it earlier. And on the other side of it JSOW's are engaged by SA-11's sometimes (I think it depends on how many missiles the site has in the air already shooting at me) and really engaged by SA15's.

OP wanted the LS-6 moved to a "bomb" since JDAM's aren't engaged like JSOW's, which is somewhat unrealistic.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:13 PM   #10
uboats
ED Tester / ED Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippoa View Post
Then it will be equal to JDAMs that are not engaged by SAMs
will do (together with GB6)

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |
| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |
uboats is offline   Reply With Quote