How to secure HOTAS

Tango777

I am thinking of buying the X-56 with throttle quadrant. After looking at many photos online...How do you secure both stick and throttle quadrant to a desk, in my case, to prevent them from moving around when you are using them?

Thank you

i7-13700F - 32GB DDR5 RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060Ti 16GB - 2TB NVMe SSD - Windows 11

There are several ways you can go

Depends if you intend to use your desk just for flight sims but assuming your not, they made suction cups that can work on the right surface and I'm sure there are numerous ways to stabilize the controllers but the best way I have found is to use velcro but try a few different ways out that are simple first and if it's not working then maybe you get creative. Also both of the controllers you mentioned are fairly solid and much heavier than the X52 Pro I was accustomed to before I went to the X56. To be sure they won't move you can always screw the four corners down to something or toggle bolt them down (depends on how much you like the desk). Good Luck

Nanopad rubber or velcro. Nanopads work great, as long as you keep them clean.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The tension is quite light on the stick, the throttle will depend on whether you remove some of the goo they use for resistance. It doesn't take much to hold them in place so you wont need to go crazy with the Velcro if you decide to go that way.

• 2 months later...

I found when I first started using the X52PRO they would move around but after some practice, they seldom move about much at all. Seems tk be from the arm movement I use, being not too heavy.

I do occasionally use some non slip matting I gained when someone used it to protect a shipped part. That was a great gift as it also helps lock my racing wheel to my desk.

I have a very smooth desk and things like to move about easily.

https://www.amazon.de/s/?ie=UTF8&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=non-slip%20matting&language=en_GB&tag=googdemozdesk-21&hvadid=194642562160&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18148362352294962014&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1002875&hvtargid=kwd-310725144841&ref=pd_sl_4in9plriin_e

I made myself something similar to: https://www.monstertech.de/en/product/joystick-hotas-table-mount/

Wysłane z mojego Nokia 6.1 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Take a look my mods :joystick: 

dcs_footer500.jpg

CPU: i7 7700 | GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | Motherboard: ASUSTeK PRIME B250M-A | RAM: 2x16GB DDR4-2400 | Output: Kingston HyperX Cloud II | Edifier C2XD 2.1 | Controlls: Saitek X-56 Rhino | Saitek Flight Rudder Pedals | Saitek Multi/Radio/Switch Panels | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Elgato Stream Deck XL | OpenTrack with LaserClip | VoiceAttack with VAICOM Pro plugin

• 2 months later...

I tried Velcro - the huge industrial stuff - but it wasn’t enough. The Velcro itself is fine but the sticky backing eventually peels loose.

But I found a better solution: On the x56 both the throttle and the stick have screw-sized channels on the four corners of the base. So you can pass eight screws (m4 60mm if my memory serves me - but best check) through without damaging the bases and then firmly attach them to a decent piece of wood. I cut a nice bit of pine board, varnished it and clamp that down to secure the HOTAS setup. That way you can lift it all in one secure bit and stick it in a cupboard when the missus complains about horrible computer equipment cluttering up the desk.

• 1 year later...
I tried Velcro - the huge industrial stuff - but it wasn’t enough. The Velcro itself is fine but the sticky backing eventually peels loose.

But I found a better solution: On the x56 both the throttle and the stick have screw-sized channels on the four corners of the base. So you can pass eight screws (m4 60mm if my memory serves me - but best check) through without damaging the bases and then firmly attach them to a decent piece of wood. I cut a nice bit of pine board, varnished it and clamp that down to secure the HOTAS setup. That way you can lift it all in one secure bit and stick it in a cupboard when the missus complains about horrible computer equipment cluttering up the desk.

I solved the wife part....

Deal with it. Break either one and you just paid for a new one on your credit card. 2 years so far and no issue.

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3447 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU

• 1 month later...

I used this stuff. The 3M adhesive is legit. It honestly stuck to unfinished plywood which completely surprised me. You gotta be a little strategic about how much you put on your controls because they aren't lying when they say 'extreme'. I used a strip on 4 sides of the joystick, but only 2 on the throttle since it doesn't move in 2 directions.

I would recommend this stuff, especially for the price and simplicity.

Internet #204465393

Model #RF6760

Store SKU #1000024423

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-1-in-x-10-ft-Clear-Extreme-Fasteners-1-Pack-RF6760/204465393?g_store=4410&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_4_BUILDERS_HARDWARE-Multi-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-BuildersHardware_LIA&cm_mmc=Shoppin

Edited by matt.israel
[The Home Depot link is messed up for some reason, you may have to type in the SKU to find it]

I've used stuff like this for several decades to keep my joystick secure. You have to be able to live with a couple strips of

rough plastic on your desk if you ever happen to stow your stick & throttle which really isn't a big deal for me. Never had

a failure, the adhesive is quite good actually and they are removable with a little effort, just peel them off slowly a little bit

at a time.

I never knew that this stuff comes in rolls! I always got it in 3" strips from good old Radio Shack. Now it's 3M that sells it.

I'm going to have to get a few rolls. I use it for lots more than flight controls.

I used this stuff. The 3M adhesive is legit. It honestly stuck to unfinished plywood which completely surprised me. You gotta be a little strategic about how much you put on your controls because they aren't lying when they say 'extreme'. I used a strip on 4 sides of the joystick, but only 2 on the throttle since it doesn't move in 2 directions.

I would recommend this stuff, especially for the price and simplicity.

Internet #204465393

Model #RF6760

Store SKU #1000024423

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

My Playgrounds: | Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |