G940 Hard way to extend stick

<<<Updated on April-2014>>>

If you are interested in extending their G940 tube, read this first, non-destructive and easy option;

G940. Easy way to extend stick.

There are more methods. Look for more information. Some people have done with other methods. I also look for links.

The method described in this thread is obsolete. There are better ways to do this, using aluminum tube.

In this link I have intention to document improvement;

G940 Helicopter ForceTrim MOD v2.0

In this thread (very extensive) for more information, but in Spanish. It is a non-active forum. There can be hosted temporarily;

G940 Cyclic, Collective & Anti-Torque Pedals.

EDIT:

The process of image 4 is UNNECESSARY.

You can use aluminum tube 16 mm.

To attach the tube and the base, can be used aluminum tube of 19 mm and 1.5 mm wall. I can set with two bolts.

The stick fits perfectly into the aluminum tube 16 mm, just needs a through bolt to secure.

Like this:

Hi. Excuse my bad English.

It all started here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84518

The end result, my new G940 XL:

g940z.jpg

Is not an easy and fast work. Ok?

Need some tools.

(drill with 10 mm, dremel, lime, strong glue, solder, tin, screwdriver, etc.)

And some material.

(the most important, hollow tube 10 mm in diameter, I used a hanger bar curtains, thin wire, and a washing machine drain pipe)

Remove the side cover of joy (be careful with the spring of the trigger) and a small pair of pliers remove the connector cable coming from the base of joy.

g940b.jpg

Spread the joy of the base and remove the lid covering the guard-powder. Remove both.

Remove the wire inside the tube. You should see something like this:

g940a.jpg

The interior of the tube has a diameter of about 10 mm. But is not constant, the top is slightly wider.

Prepare the operating room, protect the G940:

g940b.jpg

I have made ​​the cut with a Dremel and a disc very, very soft. You should work with patience and slow speed.

This is the result:

EDIT:

The process of next image is UNNECESSARY.

You can use aluminum tube 16 mm.

To attach the tube and the base, can be used aluminum tube of 19 mm and 1.5 mm wall or 18 mm and 1 mm wall(19-3=16mm or 18-2=16mm). I can set with two bolts.

The stick fits perfectly into the aluminum tube 16 mm, just needs a through bolt to secure.

Like this:

g940c.jpg

My tube hanging curtains, fits perfectly into the top, but not at the bottom.

To correct this I used a 10 mm bore, and a lime round.

As before, should work with patience and slow speed.

Now let's make the recess to pass the cable. Look at the picture. I used the Dremel with a disc, for working metal.

Soften the cut with lime:

g940d.jpg

g940e.jpg

The cable and metal will be in motion. To protect the cable I added a little pint-nails in the area of the cut:

g940f.jpg

Choose carefully the LENGTH of the tube. You will need to be sure what you want.

g940g.jpg

Well. Now is the time to extend the cable coming from the base. You only have 3 wires, should be a simple operation.

Use cable of three colors, and remember, which is which.

Remember to leave enough wire at the top connector. Still not be welded:

My tube hanging curtains, it snugly into the tube of joy, to fix it I used a glue compound. A small amount is enough. The outer tube is a washing machine drain, you can find something similar.

g940h.jpg

g940i.jpg

It only remains to weld the top connector and mount the joy.

Remember. Work step by step. Provide the following steps every time.

Enjoy your new "G940 XL"

Greetings.

Edited by P1KW
correct

"If adventure is dangerous, try the routine. It is deadly."

Paulo Coelho.

sweet! I was thinking about how to do this today.Is the force feedback still strong enough to move the stick much?

does it make it any easier to fly, does it make aerial refueling a doddle?:pilotfly:

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

sweet! I was thinking about how to do this today.Is the force feedback still strong enough to move the stick much?

Before, my FFB setting was 50-75%.

Now it is 60-80%. It is enough FFB.

In BS improvement has been dramatic. Like in CoD and FSX.

Obviously want precision in the control.

But what is most impressive is the improvement in immersion.

does it make it any easier to fly, does it make aerial refueling a doddle?

In BS I have better control, but as a pilot, I'm the same. :smilewink:

Have you ever shot down a tanker?

hmm ....:D

Greetings.

Edited by P1KW
corect post

Paulo Coelho.

P1KW thanks for answering my questions.

I think I will give this ago, it should give me some more precision when flying.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

• 11 months later...

Hello, my English is very basic. Excuse.

If I understand you correctly refers to the area without strength, around the center of joy.

It is curious, but as I have extended the lever, and logically, the area has increased, and surprisingly the inconvenience to this dead zone has decreased perceived very natural.

I guess he was referring to that he commented, Greetings!

Paulo Coelho.

• 9 months later...

I finally got around to extending my G940 stick

I recently have brought my first Home and it being a 1 bedroom flat there was (apparently according to my girlfriend) no room for my modified flight simming chair or my computer desk.

I have extended my stick so that I can use it on the floor with a normal chair.

attachment.php?attachmentid=89927&stc=1&d=1382536949

After removing the top part I cut the top portion of the plastic rod from the stick.

attachment.php?attachmentid=89928&stc=1&d=1382536949

I used an ikea curtain rail the previous owner left lying around for the extension.

I cut it down to 2 feet (60cm) in length with a hack saw.

attachment.php?attachmentid=89929&stc=1&d=1382536949

I soldered some 4 wire telephone/DSL cable to extend the cable(you only need 3 wires of the 4).

Verdict: I have only done a few flights with it. but it seems to give much greater accuracy I can hit targets with the Ka50 gun in borsight mode much more easily than before.

You can feel the force feedback but it doesn't quite hold the weight of the whole stick if you let it go.

451313694_2013-10-2222_15_07.thumb.jpg.db0f65df6000c7592ff2624bb9aede01.jpg

377114365_2013-10-2020_54.19HDR.thumb.jpg.d8555b7fa3671e07c41a1f9cb22585f5.jpg

592336068_2013-10-2221_07.50HDR.thumb.jpg.4aa11b1c77c6ce89ecc9e109dc2baf71.jpg