Windows Mixed Reality Discussion

NineLine

Wore plenty of ACH and NVGs/w battery packs and I can definitively say the Samsung Odyssey+ was utter crap. Huge nose gap, huge gaps on side and in order to get lenses in focus needed to have the headset pressed down against the bridge of my nose... NO thanks. Honestly I think the Rift is the best all around headset still, if you can get past the lower resolution. I'm going to try the Vive Pro, just because I want to have the improved screens and comfort... I doubt I'll keep it though due to price. So far I've tried and returned both Odyssey and O+. Need to try the vive pro to be sure, but I keep coming back to the rift.

Oh and the WMR tracking absolutely would not work in my sunlit room. Tracking was an absolute train wreck.

YMMV, but thats' my .02 cents.

as I guessed.... Vive pro going back too.... visuals were awesome except for the red blue green static that I had out of the box.... not spending over 1100 bucks to have a hardware failure out of the box. no thanks!

back to the Rift I come!!! Low resolution and all

as I guessed.... Vive pro going back too.... visuals were awesome except for the red blue green static that I had out of the box.... not spending over 1100 bucks to have a hardware failure out of the box. no thanks!

back to the Rift I come!!! Low resolution and all

The Rift is a great kit, and the thing just works - and works quite well - day in and day out. There are days I will game with it for several hours. And not many days I go and not do so. (a perk of retirement). Love those Touch Controllers also.

I look forward to a next gen device, hopefully one from Oculus.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Got my odyssey+ today and have to say that I am not that impressed. My initial thought is, thay the picture quality is not that much better compared to the rift. I can honestly hardly tell a difference.

PThat being said though, I have yet to do a direct comparison. I will try my rift again and determine if the quality is worth buying the odyssey+ or not. Gauges and instruments are still quite unreadable.

Biggest issue for me however is, that steamVRs ASW does not compare to the occulous one. I get constant 30 frames without it and things look ok. Turning it on however makes buildings look weird, when flying low to the ground and in fact doesn’t give me 45 FPS either. Maybe I am doing something wrong but after two days of testing, I cannot day many positive things. May want to wait and purchase the real next gen VR.

I’ll look further ito it and will report back after some more test time

Got my odyssey+ today and have to say that I am not that impressed. My initial thought is, thay the picture quality is not that much better compared to the rift. I can honestly hardly tell a difference.

PThat being said though, I have yet to do a direct comparison. I will try my rift again and determine if the quality is worth buying the odyssey+ or not. Gauges and instruments are still quite unreadable.

Biggest issue for me however is, that steamVRs ASW does not compare to the occulous one. I get constant 30 frames without it and things look ok. Turning it on however makes buildings look weird, when flying low to the ground and in fact doesn’t give me 45 FPS either. Maybe I am doing something wrong but after two days of testing, I cannot day many positive things. May want to wait and purchase the real next gen VR.

I’ll look further ito it and will report back after some more test time

Wmr does not use steam vr motion reprojection. Read up on it before bashing it. WMR Motion Vector is superior to rift

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Exactly what happened to my rift after I bought the Odyssey. Just installed Skyrim VR, the only reason I connected the Rift again. The Rift is great, I like it, but I do wish I could get extensions to work with my Odyssey (Tried all the various fixes, to no avail).

Did you try putting a USB hub with a power cable in between the pc and the extension? There seems to be power issues with the extensions (I'm guessing the Odyssey needs a lot of power) - my headset would turn off every 10 mins or so with 10ft extensions, until I put a powered hub in and then I've not had it happen since.

Did some more testing. Im actually not able to turn motion vector off it seems. I have very bad ghosting or double vision or whatbwe you wanna call it. It ran fine at 30 constant frames before I messed with the motion vector stuff. Now it’s worse and undoing everything I did doesn’t fix it either. Very weird.

Yesterday got my Lenovo Explorer. Now i have a question. Is motion reprojection working. I am new in VR. My PC I7 8700 k, 16 gb ram, RTX 2080, SSD.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/719950/announcements/detail/1652133167137673234

Do i need to edit default.vrsettings? Thank you for any replay and advice.

I7 8700K, 16 Gb DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 , SSD, 2 DOF Motion platform (DIY), MMjoy2 DIY Joystick + throttle + pedals, WMR Lenovo Explorer

you need to put motioreprojection to auto in that file (you should just decomment the line)

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽   🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Thank you VirusAM.

And question about steamVR. Do i need to change something or leave it enabled?

Alow asynchronous reprojection

Enable advanced supersampling filtering

Enable always on reprojection.

SteamVR supersampling video made 100% instead 200 % recomended.

I7 8700K, 16 Gb DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 , SSD, 2 DOF Motion platform (DIY), MMjoy2 DIY Joystick + throttle + pedals, WMR Lenovo Explorer

Thank you VirusAM.

And question about steamVR. Do i need to change something or leave it enabled?

Alow asynchronous reprojection

Enable advanced supersampling filtering

Enable always on reprojection.

SteamVR supersampling video made 100% instead 200 % recomended.

Alow asynchronous reprojection (i have it on)

Enable advanced supersampling filtering(personal taste it should not have any impact on framerate)

Enable always on reprojection. (disable)

SteamVR supersampling video made 100% instead 200 % recomended (i left on auto and changed the setting per application - on DCS i have 60%)

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽   🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

Alow asynchronous reprojection (i have it on)

Enable advanced supersampling filtering(personal taste it should not have any impact on framerate)

Enable always on reprojection. (disable)

SteamVR supersampling video made 100% instead 200 % recomended (i left on auto and changed the setting per application - on DCS i have 60%)

Thank you very much for your help.

Did some more testing. Im actually not able to turn motion vector off it seems. I have very bad ghosting or double vision or whatbwe you wanna call it. It ran fine at 30 constant frames before I messed with the motion vector stuff. Now it’s worse and undoing everything I did doesn’t fix it either. Very weird.

Were you able to figure it out?

for me it has...i have pd in dcs at 1.0 and steam vr at 70% (but video on auto which for my rig is 200% so 70% = 140% of hmd resolution) i can clearly see a difference with it at 50% 100% or 70% most of it about mfd and instruments reading.

Also in use fpsvr app and it states that i am at 140% ss with dcs world.

I use standalone version

• 2 weeks later...

SS rift or Lenovo

So about to take the VR leap . Been going round and round re Explorer vs Rift . I have to factor a 1070 and 4ghz or slower cpu .

I am impressed with the Explorer display , particularly the ability to render sharp text . However i HATE the shimmering one gets without AA , or SS , or PD . The resolution difference between the two headsets means i could run the Rift at about 1.4-5 pd for the same GPU load as the Lenovo at 1.0--correct ?

So is the shimmering less in the Explorer at 1.0 than the Rift at 1.0 ?

I see some are running Lenovo at 60fps , and locking 30 with ASW . How is the experience ? ASW there yet ?

I have carefully measured my IPD , no problems there .

I guess what i'm asking , is can i expect good results from using an Explorer with a 1070 ? (DCS ONLY)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I can't say much about the 1070 but like you I wanted the higher res over the Rift .. I just got the explorer hooked up and I really like it so far ..very comfortable and light ....the flip up feature is very handy and the res is pretty good too. I can read all the gauges and text fine ...I haven't messed with settings much yet (so much to learn) but I did swap the headband cushioning from back to front and it made the sweet spot bigger and I got more FOV. Good luck ! P.S. I got mine from Wal-mart and have till march to return it ....just get one and try it ...you can always return it if it doesn't work out ...

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I can't say much about the 1070 but like you I wanted the higher res over the Rift .. I just got the explorer hooked up and I really like it so far ..very comfortable and light ....the flip up feature is very handy and the res is pretty good too. I can read all the gauges and text fine ...I haven't messed with settings much yet (so much to learn) but I did swap the headband cushioning from back to front and it made the sweet spot bigger and I got more FOV. Good luck ! P.S. I got mine from Wal-mart and have till march to return it ....just get one and try it ...you can always return it if it doesn't work out ...

Thank you ! Good advice re: Wally world...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thank you ! Good advice re: Wally world...

Yeah ...Wally world online free shipping and takes paypal too!

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Oh wow thank you!! This cockpit angle value then is saved under C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\Config I guess?

Is there anyway to make the HUD fit in the glass without having to to move your head to the point that your nose is smashed up against the fire extinguisher handle?

Also, does zoom in/out not work in VR? (num* num/)

Edited by Deft

does zoom in/out not work in VR? (num* num/)

No just zoom in and you have to hold it or it snaps back ...

• 2 weeks later...

Black Flickering?

I'm pissed at myself for doing a firmware update via the Odyssey because now, with 1.0.9 Im dealing with constant black flickering in my HMD. Has anybody else had this happen? Is there a way to downgrade? I KNEW I shouldn' have bothered changing anything and now I'm stuck with a barely usable rig. 1.0.7 was fine, now, utter crap.