Is it too dumb to use IR Mav as navflir?

ebabil

yesterday i was practising maverick attack during night. while my nvg is off, i tried to use mav screen to see my direction and actually it was very good.

is it done by real pilots in real life, or is it just a stupid idea?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

A-10 pilots did that during desert storm 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Indeed. They flew the A-10A, which did not have a TGP or any other kind of FLIR and were not intended for night operations initially. But Desert Storm required them to operate at night and the pilots learned quickly that the Maverick seeker could be used as a poor mans FLIR :D

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

exactly .. I recently read a book about A10As in Gulf war

( Warthog: Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War) and its confirmed in there ..

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

Notice they are not launching the missiles.

ccJDiRQ1KOM

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

yesterday i was practising maverick attack during night. while my nvg is off, i tried to use mav screen to see my direction and actually it was very good.

is it done by real pilots in real life, or is it just a stupid idea?

In the book Hornets over Kuwait, written by a former USMC Horner driver Jay A. Stout, they also use Mavericks as Mini-TPOD since actual TPODs were hard to come by.

So using Mavericks as navflir isn't dumb at all, in fact it's historically accurate. :pilotfly:

Yes, he wrote that there were not enough FLIR pods during Desert Storm and F/A-18A models couldn't carry IR mavs, so they got the pods, while the C models had to use the Mavs. Obviously the A models got the better end of the deal. :)

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro