New effects

Aginor

hi guys, this is a quick demo of the new explosion effects.

This is outrageous! At 2:27 it's clear that the flying debris has nothing to do with the car that just exploded. Bug! Bug! Bug! This needs to be fixed! It completely ruins immersion.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Thanks.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol

yeah it looks like part of a wooden box

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

lol

yeah it looks like part of a wooden box

:) If it had been an old farm truck with wooden stake sides, it would have been perfect.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Well, actually I don't even care too much how it looks. Those are just graphics. For me the important questions are:

- do smoke and dust block AI sight?

- how does the AI react to sudden explosions? Is there a moment of shock before they can return fire for example?

- are blast and fragmentation modeled better now?

- and if the above are answered with no: can we turn them off then?

Such stuff is what this thread is about.

Edited by Aginor

I almost don't dare to ask...

Well... almost.

Now that we have the new smoke effects in 2.2, has anyone checked whether they have any impact on AI?

So if the big fat smoke column is between your helicopter and an enemy tank, so you cannot see the tank, does the tank still see you?

+1rep for anybody who checks and reports back. :)

I almost don't dare to ask...

Well... almost.

Now that we have the new smoke effects in 2.2, has anyone checked whether they have any impact on AI?

So if the big fat smoke column is between your helicopter and an enemy tank, so you cannot see the tank, does the tank still see you?

+1rep for anybody who checks and reports back. :)

If the Tank has an IR sight he may spot you through a smoke screen in real life, depending on smoke temperature.

The interesting question would be, do WP-Smoke rockets work as smoke screen against enemy IR-Sights like in real life?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

the new effects look really great, but just from watching videos and pictures, it seems to me, that smaller explosions (rockets etc.) are a little bit exagerated and look very similar to the explosins of heavy bombs.

do you feel the same about that?

maybe there could be a seperate effect for smaller impacts, not just differenct scaling of same effect. on live footage these smaller impact often look more like fire-crackers that produce lots of sparks and smoke, but don't kick up that huge piles of earth and debris...

Smoke from a fire blocks IR.

It probably won't block thermal imaging but it will most likely block IR.

...and that wasn't the question btw. ALL AI units in DCSW have magical sight and I want to know if that is still the case.

If the tank has thermal imaging (e.g. Leopard 2), he will likely spot you anyway.

IR can penetrate normal smoke from fires, if(!) the temperature differential to the "hidden" objects gives enough contrast.

The heat in the area around the fire is a different story.

There is a reason why the military invented IR smoke screens, that reliably block in the infrared spectrum.

The AI uses a calculation model that uses factors to determine when (time) you will be spotted. As long as this system isn't changed to treat smoke stacks (particle system) similar to trees/buildings (objects blocking LOS) I doubt anything changes.

My hope is for the 2.5 release ED has some overhauls up there sleeves, or at least later after the merge the AI, damage modeling etc. gets more focus.

They stated more than once the merge into 2.5 is the prerequisite to a major overhaul of the inner workings. :weight_lift:

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Observing one of these new explosions through the Harrier's MFCD is really quite realistic looking. Loving it! :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

the new effects look really great, but just from watching videos and pictures, it seems to me, that smaller explosions (rockets etc.) are a little bit exagerated and look very similar to the explosins of heavy bombs.

do you feel the same about that?

maybe there could be a seperate effect for smaller impacts, not just differenct scaling of same effect. on live footage these smaller impact often look more like fire-crackers that produce lots of sparks and smoke, but don't kick up that huge piles of earth and debris...

any infos on that? are the explosions still considered WIP?

i mean, they do look splendid already, but really need some variation with smaller impacts not lifting such huge amount of soil compared to the bigger bombs.

(smaller explosions could still create much smoke and dust, just the effect of lifting heavy soil and debris seem unrealistic... at least on the videos i saw)

Please read the thread. I created it specifically to talk about about the gameplay aspects of the new effects and not necessarily about how they look.
I share this sentiment. It is nice to have pretty smoke markers and smoke columns from burning stuff, but the tactical aspect - to obscure the view and hot smoke/IR-blocking smoke grenades as cover - is far more important to me and I guess a few others as well.

Fighting alongside AI or worse, against AI you often feel like a blind and deaf old man with impaired vision, until you realize, the AI did not "see" you but, did know you are there.

Normandy (the collidable trees blocking LOS) was the single most important step since about a decade in that direction. For me one of the very important "new effects" was not so much the better look of the trees, but making them collidable and the fact that the goddamn AI can't fire RPGs and AntiTankGuided Missiles through them anymore!

Suddenly an Attack Helicopter makes sense.

As much as I love the visuals of the new effects, I love seeing the tactical aspects of the surrounding terrain and world gets more real.

So a smoke effect, say WillyPete rockets, that at least is blocking LOS like a tree, would indeed be a great tactical asset and much appreciated.

Shagrat

Absolutely agree. The trees looking nice made me shrug and say "yeah nice", but they being finally real objects was exciting and I instantly hopped into a heli to try out a few things.

You can find such gameplay impacts for many effects. Seeing reflections on planes or being blinded by the sun should have an impact on spotting, clouds and fog and rain and snow and smoke as well.

• 9 months later...