Boltz's A-10 Build

Boltz

• 2 weeks later...

Small update on the engine instruments. Front plate has been engraved and then painted. Very little of the engraving will be seen in the finished MIP but I like the look of it now

Not using the original clamps so I cut support pieces out of 3mm aluminium. Got them assembled and started wiring post lights in. Connector for all the post lights is looked out as well. Just got to position the wires around all of the instruments now. It's going to be a heavy panel when complete.

Some instruments are different from last time. I just had to find tubes to fit in to check clearances. Some of the instruments I'll be using are in pieces on my desk

YL1kxwb.jpg

VEHrR9p.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Slowly working through finishing instruments. 2 Flow Flow gauges are now finished.

I will upload video when I have more permanent electronics built so can have more than one working at a time. The current stepper test rig can be partially seen on the right.

6clMIKX.jpg

Some pictures of the construction. One has an X27.168 stepper and the other a VID29-05P. They are very much the same unit.

MVt1Nny.jpg

MfKqnMd.jpg

8WDn5nI.jpg

Hey Calum

That EMI will look so fantastic when your done. I can't wait to see it fully operational. I'm also pleased to see you are putting your TAIG mill through it’s paces. It is probably one the most indispensable pieces of equipment for cockpit builders. It makes everything so much easier.

Do you have a board picked out to run everything. The Mega won't be able to handle all 12 motors in that it’s only a 16mhz processor. If you want a single board to run the entire panel you might look at the ChipKit Uno 32. It runs at 86mhz. That was my first choice. I haven't tested it yet as I spent all of July and August packing and Sept, Oct and most of Nov unpacking. I fully retired last July, sold the house and then we moved to a new house some 2000km from our old place. Nova Scotia for those who know a bit about Canada.

I was wondering if you could talk about the controller you made. I just made one myself for testing various motors to determine performance in various types of gauges. I'd like to see what you put together. I think it might be a great project for cockpit builders wanting to use stepper motors in their panels. It’s also a good but easy learning excersise for the novice builders.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

My #%@*! jaw is on the ground right now

That would have to be the most incredible and elaborate setups I have ever seen. I’m seriously impressed and astounded.

Congratulations, that is awesome man.

:thumbup:

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Thank you very much guys! Got plenty more happening at the moment.

Warhog, I haven’t totally decided on controllers but looking at using a 40MHz PIC (can’t remember part no at the moment per 4 instruments based on some other designs. It’s a bit vague at the moment. I will get some pictures up of the test rig. It’s built around an Arduino Uno and can run both unipolar and small bipolar motors like the x27. Your move sounds sweet hope you enjoy Nova Scotia!

Bought a new toy recently. Cost quite a bit to get to the UK but totally worth it. Made a stand for it since it doesn’t fit in my current console setup.

7BShHsi.jpg

5BzOe1w.jpg

Needs converting to Charlie model, fuel flow switch guard, hall sensors for position and required to cheaper connectors. At the moment enjoying sitting it on the desk. Coolest desktop throttle :thumbup:

• Like 1

Ganeshka, I can’t provide dimensions of each part because I’m not taking it all apart. IMO would cost far more to reproduce one than to buy a real throttle. The TM version is a good version.

Mr Burns the real throttle has a friction control it’s just in a different place. It is the grey slider on the right hand side. It’s an axis on the TM version but a mechanical linkage on the real throttle. I hear ya on trying to get some of the real parts. Some are pretty difficult to get

• 2 months later...

Some information on the stepper motor test setup:

76F0hSw.jpg

At the moment I'm playing around with the firmware to get good performance out of the motors. It's not for testing all stepper motors, but just the 2 most common ones I'm playing with now.

EIsuHNF.jpg

cvGBnvB.jpg

Cutting a bunch of metal connector plates for the left console as well as parts for air refuel lever and emergency brake handle. I'll have something to show soon on those. I've been away from the pit a lot recently but had time to draw up a lot in CAD. Also put together all the 2D and 3D drawings to make each of the individual parts as well as parts list for each. Just got to save up some money first then can get to ordering more parts :thumbup:

mb7scve.jpg

tewuTKp.jpg

vnyWNsR.jpg

9J4BsDk.jpg

Wns2998.jpg

ijOZ2Xg.jpg

50VAv7H.jpg

Cheers,

Boltz

• 2 weeks later...

Should have all the parts for fuel panel, emergency brake handle, annunciators and connector plates for all of the left console next week. Got to place an order on Shapeways next for some more parts. Finished up on designing the AN/ARC-164 panel. Biggest hurdle on that next is working out how to mill the lightplate. It's quite thick at nearly 16mm!

reURDO1.jpg

I wanted to test the circuit boards though so got on and ordered them. One holds all 8 displays, a second contains a MAX7219. So all the 7 segment display neatly transform to 5 wires. Forgot to add decoupling caps to that one so I'll either have a new one made or just make do with some hacking. The third is simply a shield for an Arduino Mega, allowing all the switches and displays to be connected. The boards arrived today with minimum order of 10 each so theres a few spare :music_whistling:

LxDqBB4.jpg

Started design of the 186 radios with mechanical displays. Really tight to get everything to fit but I'm working on getting everything positioned correct then can add support parts in the remaining space. This panel still has a long way to go but I've ordered some of the hardware such as gears and couplings from China so they should be here sometime in the next month

YdvXtY3.jpg

Also a pic of some of the parts I've managed to acquire. There's a g-meter and standby compass as well as a prototype 3D printed Grimes light alongside a real on the right. Everything confirmed correct on it so good to go and have the rest printed. Also the hat switch for emergency flight panel, seat adjust switch and fire extinguish on the glareshield. Also, managed to get my hands on the 4 elusive 3-position locking toggle switches for the AHCP. And a really nice Grimes utility light

KZXBxYl.jpg

Also started collecting some of the electronics I need to get things wired up. Started out with the power supplies with two 5V/10A supplies and a 24V/5A in a 19" subrack. Still to work out what other voltages will be required then I can make the fuse and diagnostic panels and wire all up to 230V. Then I'll have some solid high current supplies to have things working.

That's everything I'm up to at the moment

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I got the new throttle end but still needing another spacer part for it since I had to file more of the original grip. Means that it won't follow the original curves perfectly but should still look good. Also managed to paint the backplates for most of the left console and install the switches. Switch collection is nearly done just needing the SAS panel monitor switch, 1 more pot and the rotaries for the 186 panel. Using Honeywell 53C110K pots which have a real nice feel.

I bought one of the 53C1SW10K for the fuel receiver light control which says "It is available in a special construction that accepts a rotary switch (purchased separately)." However I cannot find any more information on the rotary switch unit anywhere and the construction appears identical to the regular 53C1 pots. Anyone have any idea how it's meant to work?

I'll take some photos tomorrow when back at home. For now though I finished work on the radios, all ready to go with them, just saving up the money now to buy the rest of the parts. The AN/ARC-186 VHF panels have the mechanical displays instead of 7 segment displays. This is something I've wanted to do for a very long time. Fitting in backlighting for the panel text, digits and thumbwheel display required a lot of work but it's all drawn up now.

GAuM90y.jpg

stUXM2Q.jpg

26h3XT4.jpg

Over the past few months I've been purchasing several of Deadman's knobs from Shapeways and the quality is outstanding! Highly recommend them to everyone. Just need to get my painting up to scratch first before touching them.

Cheers

Thanks marques. I was able to reassemble a lot of parts after painting. Everything is looking sweet now.

First the new throttle grip. The speedbrake and china hat are original switches, hat switches are Mil Spec Otto. Ordered a proper boat switch as the cheap one I tried first broke it was just that, cheap and nasty. You can see the missing spacer part in the second picture. It's on the way then everything can be fitted correctly.

r902tae.jpg

SoDYQZo.jpg

ItEnir2.jpg

Annunciators for the right console are started. Still need to assemble the actual fronts with text. They are in the "to-do" box.

xIq0obG.jpg

Emergency brake housing and mechanism are fitted for a dry assembly before breaking out rivets and epoxy. Paint on the handle needs cleaned off and redone.

1EiP3r8.jpg

GrTooJH.jpg

KS5pNuR.jpg

Finally a load of panels are back together painted and with the switches installed. The red Honeywell switches are beautiful and the feeling on some of the real locking ones are so good. Definitely been worth all the time and money hunting them all down. Most of these panels need lightplates, backlighting PCBs and wiring then they will be finished (probably years of work:music_whistling:).

iigcaTF.jpg

D3y5e7h.jpg

FJZXyhC.jpg

6YOo6Ph.jpg

2PGS6er.jpg

3pYKXoP.jpg

F0CKPfy.jpg

X6mGqg7.jpg

0YtIfQi.jpg

1oUYajM.jpg

gTU4WBv.jpg

7Y9yeS5.jpg

Well that's all for now. Long overdue on the pictures. Displays for the UHF radio finally arrived a couple days ago, just in time for the snow here. Just waiting on Max7219 chips to test them out

Huge thanks to both Deadman and Hans for all the help you guys have given me. Wouldn't have got this far if it weren't for your help and inspiration

Cheers

Edited by Boltz

Sweet jesus that looks good Calum :notworthy: That looks like the real deal man. Awesome work there my friend. I can see you have really started putting your Taig to work :thumbup:

Keep those photos flowing Sir

Do you mind sharing where you found the floating nuts?

"must spread some rep around" - I'll rep you later :-)

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo