Aviation Push - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
chromium
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOneSix View Post
I've started work on an AH-64A module. Sadly, by "started work on" I mean that I've though to myself "Hey self, an AH-64A module would be a really good idea...".

That's where I'm currently stuck. Development has ground to a halt.

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.
chromium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
Ells228
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ells228

Well I think we need a human controlled RAF refueler for when Tiffy comes out but that's a long way off yet.
I think a C17 or heavy lifter would be good in DCS, however how many virtual pilots want to fly them. They would be good for virtual squadrons but currently at the moment pushing a hummer or troops out of the back isn't in DCS, but who knows that day may come.
Ells228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Exorcet

This is probably a case where lower fidelity models, at least initially, might come in handy. In other words, some dev releasing "Heavy Cliffs" with a bunch of mid fidelity large planes (or maybe just an inexpensive pay for mod to control exist DCS AI planes with cockpit and FM tweaks). Those sales could them be used to convert each plane to DCS standards one at a time depending on demand.

I don't know how much demand for transports there will be, but I think AWACS could work, and maybe tankers.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
Ripcord

How about we first develop new theaters that would give us someplace to fly our C-17 to? This isn't FSX after all -- we probably are never going to be able to load up and fly anything all the way across a continent or cross an ocean.

I think I'll stick to my C-17 in FSX, which is challenging and fun in it's own right.

That said, it would be cool to have some way to do paradrops, at least AI paradrops, in this sim... same for air mobile capability using helos. That would be very cool -- hope I'm not hijacking this thread.
Ripcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
PlainSight

Seriously, AC130U would totally rock. Two player coop in a multiplayer would be very awesome.

Whenever i'm circling above the BF in the hog, i'm always like "man i wish i had a side-mounted howitzer".
Old 08-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
monotwix+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRat02 View Post
I don't see how using a yoke is relevant; the C-17 doesn't have one.

Ofcouse you don’t, I would have to rub it in to make it clear: There are many people including myself who enjoy flying large planes, the yoke is irrelevant, however it was my choice of describing the picture.

The idea of flying a large military-plane in a combat sim isn’t so ridiculous, a passenger jet may be.

It wouldn’t really matter what mission you fly, it’s more about experiencing a flight, a bit like P-51 if it’s your cup of tea.
Prop for prop I can’t see my self coming off a J-41 or C130 to fly P-51.
I do enjoy flying small combat jets very much but that’s the only option for DCSW at the moment and anything bigger than 50 tone isn’t often discussed.
monotwix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
Pyroflash

I think the big problem is the lack of scenery. ATM large aircraft (see strategic airlift) do not have the airspace to be able to effectively fulfill their intended roles. Even if the airspace was there, the missions themselves aren't long enough to accommodate such a thing.

No, unless there is an up and coming DCS MMO (I fully support this idea BTW), I don't think that any heavy lifters (again, see strategic airlift) will turn out to be all that practical.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #18
monotwix+
Posting Rights Revoked

I think Combined Arms is very practical.
I think later on AWACS could be practical with it’s crew.
Refuelling, Transport, Heavy Bombers etc, all these would not require a massive terrain, 300nm 1.5 hour hops from start to finish is sufficient.
A job of getting from A to B is practical in it’s self and the reward is a successful completion.

To diversify the world even further one plane is all it needs for now.

monotwix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
diveplane+
Posting Rights Revoked

That giff is getting on my nerves.[/QUOTE]

who is that? lol, did he spill his milkie drop his cookies?.
diveplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #20
Ripcord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainSight View Post
Seriously, AC130U would totally rock. Two player coop in a multiplayer would be very awesome.

Whenever i'm circling above the BF in the hog, i'm always like "man i wish i had a side-mounted howitzer".
Ah true, I didn't think of that. Would have to remove the AA threat from the area before the Spectre could really get in there and operate, but that would be part of the fun. Great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monotwix View Post

It wouldn’t really matter what mission you fly, it’s more about experiencing a flight, a bit like P-51 if it’s your cup of tea.
OK, I'll give you that. Flying heavies in DCS World is no more bizarre than flying WWII era warbirds over modern ground forces -- in fact way less bizarre.

Hell maybe there are some advantages for a third-party dev here -- would not need to worry about A-G radar, that much is certain.

Still, the question remains that the terrain is still so small that a C17 would barely get up to altitude before it flies off the edge of the map. The C-130 might be more applicable.

Last edited by Ripcord; 08-04-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Ripcord is offline   Reply With Quote