G-LOC effects

VZ_342

I’ve always wondered about the complete blacking out while under high G’s. Not the decrease of peripheral vision, but the complete “everything is black” effect.

The unfortunate crash of an F/A18 in Star Wars Canyon recently is discussed in the video I’m linking to below. “Discussed” isn’t the right word, really he is just mentioning several possible causes of the crash.

In the video, starting at 7:06 and in particular at 7:32 he describes the G-LOC (Gravity induced Loss Of Consciousness) effect, including once it wears off. According to the video author (who is also a veteran fighter pilot) there is a period of a few seconds where your body doesn’t respond correctly to your wishes, and a few more seconds where you don’t know your situation clearly.

If this can be verified to be a common occurrence I’d like to see it implemented in DCS. As it is now, pilots in DCS can black out and immediately relax the stick, and maintain control of the aircraft and go right into the fight as vision clears enough to see the HUD.

The few times I’ve passed out (from standing up too quickly), the effects I experienced were as described; I wouldn’t have been able to pick up a wooden block let alone aim at something 1000 meters away going 600+ Km/H.

Edited by VZ_342

I would also like to see the scene desaturate before you fully black out, and then the colour slowly return once the G-load is reduced. You always 'grey-out' first before full blackout.

Seeing the effects HB have for no oxygen at altitude, I am sure a simple reduction in colour palette wouldn't be too hard?

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, you don't always grey out first. This depends on the g onset and final g, assuming you're doing all your AGSM correctly.

High enough g and you just g-loc without warning.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yep. Lacking or incorrect AGSM and rapid onset of high G and it can be out like a light, and then the recovery period can be a lot longer as well, sometimes lasting into minutes. Generally the slower you build the G the faster you will recover once G is released.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

No, you don't always grey out first. This depends on the g onset and final g, assuming you're doing all your AGSM correctly.

High enough g and you just g-loc without warning.

Indeed - but in the sim the blackout slowly grows from the edges - you don't just 'g-loc without warning'.....and as such I would like to see a grey-out with this slow onset of G-loc.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You certainly g-loc without warning ... don't do G-prep and haul a nice sustained 9-12g turn :)

ED has implemented this by simulting STAHL curve.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You certainly g-loc without warning ... don't do G-prep and haul a nice sustained 9-12g turn :)

VampireNZ is talking about the slow onset situation, not the instant 12G black out. The situation that is currently implemented with the blackout growing from the edges.

+1 for the grey-out!

Also sounds could fade a bit

Edited by HWasp

You mean Stoll Curve?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Yes . By moving your head less :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2