Sorting out comms with Vaicom Pro and voice attack

I've had Vaicom Pro for a while now and for the most part it works flawlessly for me. I've had to train the system to recognise some of the pronunciations being as I am English (I apparently have an accent :P) Anyway, I have a few problems, which I hope can be addressed.

1. When I use the radio to call an airport in sim, despite voice attack recognising with high confidence what I've said, the sim repeats back with a different airport, which seems to be closer in the list under ATC. For example, I was in the Harrier earlier today, called Sukhumi inbound and it repeated Gudauta inbound. I have assists turned off and I made sure the radio was set to 258.000MHz. I noticed in the ATC menu that Gudauta was first in the list, presumably because I was closer, Sukhumi was second. The only way past it was to select Sukhumi from the menu, which defeats the object of voice commands. I don't think this is a Vaicom issue but then again I've not seen any threads pertaining to this issue so don't know if it's a known problem although I do know there are some issues with the comms.

2. There are some pronunciations of keywords (especially place names) that don't seem to work even though I am entering them into the speech dictionary with my own voice recording. This is sometimes compounded when the pilot read back and ATC pronounce the same word differently and neither pronunciation with my voice works. I wonder if anyone has had similar problems and how they got around it.

3. Voice attack sometimes recognises with 98% but other times, the same phrase is recognised but rejected because it was 47/60. Sometimes inbound is recognised as 'him down'. Like I said, this is after training and recording my own voice for the speech dictionary (plus I am using my Oxford English Phone Voice).

Hope someone has some helpful advice. TIA :thumbup:

Won't help you with the 1st point, but in my experience Voice Attack can be pretty awful in voice recognition and a lot of messing with weighting etc can you get you somewhere or nowhere. I understand why it's used, but it's the only one I've ever had this sort of issue with, and I've used many different ones.

I have the same problem in Elite with the HCS pack.

Conversely, I've made profiles for 4 other voice recognition progs and never had issues with any of them. It is what it is and you seem to know what to do to help yourself. Maybe this is why it's the cheapest?

I don't buy the excuse that they all use the same API so there's no difference - there very obviously is. I gave up on VAICOM and HCS, but I may have another go when I have enough time to be patient with Voice Attack.

I find VA is just too unpredictable.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Wouldn’t the voice recognition be a Windows voice recognition problem since VoiceAttack use it and doesn’t have a native voice recognition app

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Although I use VA because of Viacom, I have found that VAC is much more accurate. Why, I don't know.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I have a Southern US accent and had to go through about 10 Windows voice recognition training sessions in order to get a reliable response.

Each time you do it, it gets better. In a pain in the arse but worth it.

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

I have a Southern US accent and had to go through about 10 Windows voice recognition training sessions in order to get a reliable response.

Each time you do it, it gets better. In a pain in the arse but worth it.

Yeah, I tried that. Seems to get stuck at the same place every time when I train. It's like it's looking for a particular inflection on the words and I have to repeat it three times before it will move on. Sometimes, it doesn't move on after 20 or more repeats so I have to close it down and start again. I guess it doesn't help that there are broken sentences, you see a comma and you know there's at least one other part to the sentence, but you don't know how many more. I try to talk as natural as you should but my accent isn't strong by any means. I can talk like an RAF officer, with clarity but it still struggles. Apparently, the voice recognition is down to 5.1% error rate. It's just a pity the 5.1% comprises of 100% of what I need to say. :megalol:

Joking aside though, it does get frustrating.

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem as question #1. Only difference is once I set the airbase frequency I'm currently at, I can't change to any other frequency, I put it in on the UFC in the F/A-18C and try to request inbound but it keeps saying I'm asking for the original frequency I put in at the base I started from. Any help on this??

Regarding #1, wrong airport is a known DCS bug , and we can only await an ED fix .

Regarding #2 , i had the same problem only with the PG map locations . Guess my Arabic needs some work .

Regarding #3 , i can only say that after running Windows speech training twice , i have had a near-100% recognition rate .

Perhaps if you tried a Southern US accent ? Practice saying y'all :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Regarding #1, wrong airport is a known DCS bug , and we can only await an ED fix .

Regarding #2 , i had the same problem only with the PG map locations . Guess my Arabic needs some work .

Regarding #3 , i can only say that after running Windows speech training twice , i have had a near-100% recognition rate .

Perhaps if you tried a Southern US accent ? Practice saying y'all :)

Just found out how to avoid the wrong airbase after setting frequency, name the airbase name and then call inbound, works everytime. Example: Set frequency then say "Batumi, Inbound" etc etc. Works like a charm

Edited by ItaLiaNKiinG

• 7 months later...

I have an issue, where VA itself recognises everything and even gives me the correct briefing via crystal palace, but no response from ANY AI unit....... quite frustrating.. have followed the install manual to the T.......any ideas?? anyone??

[sIGPIC]If you are still under control you are not going fast enough[/sIGPIC]

Radio frequency ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2