Manual

Dolphin887

About the manual

Lot of people asked similar questions: will it be available in their language, how does it relate to original 21 manual, is it near completion etc.

Since we are making 21Bis mod for DCSW, there are differences between simulated 21Bis and real 21Bis (as you must have noted so far). Therefore, the only relevant document for DCS MiG-21Bis will be its manual. This does not prevent you from using any other document you might have, but DCSW MiG-21Bis will be what’s written in its manual.

Manual is near completion, still, I have to write and illustrate missing parts concerning recently added features, most notably new weapon use and complex navigation subsection (e.g. radials interception with RSBN). Note that manual can be finished after we finish everything else (e.g we need finished internal/external model and textures for manual illustrations). Before we conclude it (“lock” it), it has to be approved by Eagle.

Manual in your language? Absolutely.

Once concluded in English, manual will be available for translation to anything community can provide. Document containing the detailed “call for translators” will be presented here on time. Translations that satisfy required standards, quality and are delivered in time will be included in official release. Other translations (rejected, late, partial etc.) can still be presented to community here or elsewhere to support local players, but will not be included in release.

Leatherneck Simulations is in need of volunteers for MiG-21BiS flight manual and other materials translation.

1. RESPONSIBILITIES

- Provide a translation of material given to the English language, in exact form as provided, on time as required,

- Change (update) translated material if original material changes, within given timeframe,

- All produced materials must be internationally compatible with word processing tools so they can be opened and further processed on machines other than translator’s (E.g. Chinese translation must open and appear exactly the same as on translators’ machines).

- All original material that translators receive must stay classified even after publishing.

2. REQUIREMENTS

- Language of translation must be a candidate’s mother tongue,

- High English language proficiency,

- High level of literacy, excellent knowledge of translating language grammar, spelling and language writing style,

- Good knowledge of word processing software (use free Kingsoft Office Suite, not MS Word or other commercial office tools),

- Good typing skills (fast typing rate),

- Good experience with Eagle Dynamics products line, with focus on DCS World,

- Good or average technical and military aviation knowledge,

- “Team Player”,

- Responsible, Honest and Confidential person,

- Age 23 or higher preferred.

3. JOB DESCRIPTION

- Translation of ~180 A4 pages written in English (lots of illustrations, so it’s not text only),

- Translation of a “Quick start guide” or similar additional material if required,

- Translation (“Localization”) of coded training missions or interface such are hint messages appearing on mouse-hover in cockpit,

- Expect that you will have to translate minimum 5 pages per day per person.

- Expect that you will have maximum four weeks to complete and cross-check translation.

- Expect that your team will have to translate minimum 10 pages each day,

- Expect that you will have maximum four weeks to complete and cross-check translation.

4. BENEFITS

- Credits for translation you provide as complete and accepted translation; credits will be stated in the Manual.

- You will get one digital copy of the DCS: MiG-21BIS upon release, per person in a team, for accepted translation.

- No credits for partial/incomplete/low quality translations. We will not use those - they will be rejected and not included in the release.

- You are volunteering for this task, so understand that we can’t provide any money (we don’t have any funds).

5. PROCEDURE

Although this list might look imposing to you, please note that we are looking for quality and reliable personnel, thus the strict requirements.

You will have to work in team with at least one person speaking your mother tongue (translation target language). Primary reason for this is because the material is demanding, and you will need to split the workload. Furthermore, this will help you mutually support and supervise each other. You will encounter some difficult concepts and unknown aircraft systems for which you will have to provide explanation based on existing explanation in English, which can be difficult.

Procedure:

- Find few friends to work with. Selecting the right people is critical for success, otherwise you wont make it alone. Optimum is 2 - 4 persons.

- NOTE: No more than 4 persons per team.

- Calculate translation time: if you have 3 persons in a team, divide 180 with 3 and than with 21 -> this gives you 3 pages per day per person (9 pages daily, minimum). If you think that the workload is too high - don’t apply, you won’t make it. Last 5-7 days use to cross check the Manual and send it.

- Download attached CV form and fill it up. Save the document in .xls format (not anything else).

- One person in your team will have to send me an PM containing filled CV form for your team. Insert “Translation application LLLLL ” in e-mail subject, where LLLLL is target language. Example “Translation application Spanish”.

Don’t send your application before Sunday, 27. April 2014.

This job offer will close next Wednesday (30. April 2014.) in 24:00 UTC.

Further steps will be announced.

************************* UPDATE 04. July 2014. ******************************

Here are some information that can answer many questions in this and possibly other threads.

- Manual text and core illustrations (text related) are finished according to my criteria as an author. Art and Appendixes are WIP, and they will be concluded before the release (artistic illustrations, legal things, "special thanks", "contributors list" etc.).

- Following translators teams were accepted for translating the manual to their languages:

• Russian
  • Serbian /Cyrillic/
  • German

- All gentleman in translating teams put considerable effort to meet the deadline, for which they have my sincere admiration. Their names are included in all versions of the manual, and they will be honored according to our agreement. No less, and possibly more.

- Following translation satisfy the quality criteria at the moment:

• Russian
  • Serbian

- German manual is currently missing translation for a dozen+ pages. Since there are still some time, I sincerely hope the team will dedicate some free time to finish it. It would be a great misfortune not to have it in the release, since it is around 80-90% done at the moment.

- As you know, MiG-21 need to pass internal TFC/ED Q testing procedure, so will the manual/s. All of them - no matter of the present translation state - are shipped with the aircraft and are available to testers as a references. From the point of the manual, this means that things might be changed, altered, deleted, or additional content requested. Aircraft might still change in complexity and features - so will the manual. Therefore, there is no point of releasing the manual before the aircraft is "locked"and cleared for the release. I as an author don't want to publish non-confirmed, possibly partially-relevant, partially-obsolete document.

At the end, I will have to ask you to use this thread for all manual related posts. It is hard to track the posts and discussion if they are under the different topic, thank you.

Leatherneck Application Form Translators.zip

Edited by Dolphin887
update nbr. 2

Power through superb knowledge, training and teamwork.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm sniffing the smell of cake from the oven!!!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

So, with all of that being said, how long after release before we see the manual?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Good to hear ... :thumbup:

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm sniffing the smell of cake from the oven!!!

I smell something about to pop out of the Happy Cake Oven as well

...with a 40 watt bulb, and icing packets, but the secret ingredient...is love...

2hfs4np.jpg

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

cichlidfan: The manual(s) will be available before release.

Re Printing: We'll try to make the initial version as friendly for printing as possible -- but there is a chance we'll be doing a print-version too. We need to print a number of copies ourselves for the backers and we'll likely be offering them for sale as well (info on this later). :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• ED Team
cichlidfan: The manual(s) will be available before release.

Re Printing: We'll try to make the initial version as friendly for printing as possible -- but there is a chance we'll be doing a print-version too. We need to print a number of copies ourselves for the backers and we'll likely be offering them for sale as well (info on this later). :)

Good to hear, I work in a print shop, so I usually print my own ;)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Thanks. Looking forward to it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

2nlqyc2.jpg

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

• 4 weeks later...

Some update

Although there were no images of the manual so far since it was a draft version, and manual images posted on Cobra's update are unfortunately from obsolete manual version (draft 1.83), here are few current images (draft 2.00).

Manual is in finalization phase. Currently adding description of custom GCI unit creation, custom options and other features not directly connected with aircraft/systems handling.

Once I'm done with the manual Ill have to compile/create Quick start guide, which will also consume few days.

Apart from the manual, I have created 15 interactive training missions in last two weeks. I will create several single/multiplayer missions. I don't think we have the time for the campaign creation unless specifically requested by Eagle/TFC.

Note: All interested in translating the M and QST will be noticed on time, no worries. However, you will have to work hard to deliver. At the moment, M have 170 A4 pages.

manual1.thumb.PNG.f83af26184ce7a7ff5409d2cbfcb176b.PNG

manual2.thumb.PNG.2f70e6a435828fb72d8f7e1b4760a6e5.PNG

manual21.thumb.PNG.fd881d5bf0d059b99b46e17ddf73468f.PNG

manual3.thumb.PNG.ff1719839d20d4d061479e5c49fe769b.PNG

manual4.thumb.PNG.e6ad7244b0e266dfc8303db26ef85378.PNG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The second snapshot with all the callouts caught my attention for some reason. It's looks very challenging, but I am sure very fun to learn. Thanks Dolphin and LS team for what is wrapping up to be a fine project. I know this is off topic for this area, but has the list of all the backers been compiled and should we expect notifications of whats to expect in the coming days as we get closer to release?

Thanks

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Oh my ipad memory is itching for this....

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I do not know how I missed information about the manual being released before release of aircraft. Great news to me.

Question for Dolphin if he sees it: Since you are from Serbia, is Serbian version of the manual planned by your self? It is not of great importance to me personally, but it would be good to know weather the ex-yu version will be available for people that doesn't speak english to well.

Once more, congratulations and best of luck!

Edited by Mrgud

Is there any chance that you could show us the table of contents? So we could get a better "feel" for what is coming at us in terms of "study simming" ... :o)

I apologize, we can't release TOC at the moment. Content have to be approved, at least to some extent, before it become public.

is Serbian version of the manual planned by your self?

I am not writing any other version except the English (core). Language-organized teams will have to do that. Personally, I will be happy with every added translation of this or any other mod for DCS, therefore, I honestly hope there will be translations to south-Slavic languages.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am not writing any other version except the English (core). Language-organized teams will have to do that. Personally, I will be happy with every added translation of this or any other mod for DCS, therefore, I honestly hope there will be translations to south-Slavic languages.

Thank you for your response. Since the MiG-21 is extremely popular in Croatia, I think that is very likely that someone will do the translation. Maybe group of us. I was just asking because it would be silly to start doing it if someone else is allready doing it.