Panels hard to read!

Sunshadow

Worn, Don't know what you're all n about.... Its like a slightly used 152 :D

I am finding getting the test switch and hydraulics switches hard to view in track ir ( Partially coz I'm not used to it and I don't have it set out too well yet.)

Please visit this thread and add a plus 1 to show support for getting a full fidelity Su-17/20/22 in game https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220572

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tested now - I can assure you all panels have been done. Much easier to read all labels in VR now!
One thing to note is I think this will not pass the multiplayer integrity check. Which I think is fine if you are using a mod manager, just turn it off if you plan to fly online.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

It's not only VR, I'm only using TrackIR and it's a real pain to read the panels.

Maybe it doesn't matter to a pilot with a good sight and a real Tomcat, who has flown the jet for years. But it does for someone who has a classic monitor and doesn't know all the knobs and buttons by heart.

This and inconsistent cockpit click buttons logic are apparently little things, but they completely break the immersion.PS. I'd hate to only point out one little downside. The overall atmosphere in the cockpit, all the little details inside and outside the aircraft, are fabulous! :)

Exactly! Agree 100%

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Threre's not a crew chief in the Navy that would tolerate this level of wear. This looks like something left at the bone yard for twenty years.

LOL :lol:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Didn't take long.. F14 Clean Label Cockpits

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303911/

The same chap has also reduced the internal and external textures by half - 4k textures not much use in VR.

FYI devs in general, these are the kinds of things you do (as a separate option on the 'Special' tab) to make an aircraft 'VR Friendly'.

Unfortunately doesnt pass IC:cry:

Personally im not too keen on using mods either.

HB, any chance you could at least give us the option?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

VR is just a struggle for developers in general. In the desire to be realistic, some things simply become too unreadable in VR. Please give us feedback on what particular items ar a bit of a pain and we'll make sure to alleviate as we go.

Nick,

Just to let you know that I think the VR cockpit is superb. It's much clearer and usable than what I see on TrackIR and 4K monitor. The pit is more spacious and some of the awkward to use controls, e.g. HYD TRANSFER PUMP, are no problem on my Vive Pro.

Excellent work.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

VR is just a struggle for developers in general. In the desire to be realistic, some things simply become too unreadable in VR. Please give us feedback on what particular items ar a bit of a pain and we'll make sure to alleviate as we go.

For me the most difficult are the warning lights panel (on the right of the pilot and above the RIO right knee). Lights are so dim & text so small it is very difficult to tell what is shown

• 3 months later...
Please give us feedback on what particular items ar a bit of a pain and we'll make sure to alleviate as we go.

Honestly? Most of them.

Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere in the current cockpit is outstanding.

But its useability is on a quite low level, especially for the newcomers / VR users / people with poor eyesight. Almost all side panels are unreadable without zooming, backlight on the CAP pushbuttons is barely visible, LIQ COOLING is still missing its labels, knobs on AN/ARC-182 are impossible to use even with max zoom... Etc, etc, etc.

So I'm wholeheartedly voting for the additional clean-ish cockpit - because small fixes won't be enough in this case.

Edited by Minsky

Dima | My DCS uploads

I can't understand all the whining.

All switches are good enough readable, also the F-14 does not have that many switches in the front, and only a little more in the back.

When you've achieved to fly the cat with trying her to kill you, you are so familiar that you should have all switches in mind and don't need anymore labels.

Little harder, but the same for the RIO.

So instead of complaining about the superb done aging on the cat, just fly it and get familiar with it. You will see, it isn#t any kind of problem anymore.

Without hard practice and some serious hours in the seat, she won't make you any fun anyway.

BTW, there is still the labels function for the cursor...

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

I don't want to be salty, but it is true.

When I first time sat in the turkey, I also thought that it is stupid that those switches are worn so much. After getting familiar with it, I don't need any labels anymore.

Just fly it and learn. With every hour in the cockpit, you will complain less about those labels.

Steam user - Youtube

I thought there is now an option in the settings to choose a cleaner pit? I just use the available mod since I haven't been online with it.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

When I first time sat in the turkey, I also thought that it is stupid that those switches are worn so much. After getting familiar with it, I don't need any labels anymore.

Just fly it and learn. With every hour in the cockpit, you will complain less about those labels.

+1

You'd be a terrible pilot if you had to read the labels during flight.

But there are still some bad things like radio knobs - impossible to tell where they point. There is some room for improvement. Plus there are already options specifically made for the VR.

@sze5003: only as a mod (custom cockpit)

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

+1

But there are still some bad things like radio knobs - impossible to tell where they point. There is some room for improvement. Plus there are already options specifically made for the VR.

@sze5003: only as a mod (custom cockpit)

+1 on that too, but being not able to tell the position of a switch/knob is a difference to complain about worn labels.

Steam user - Youtube

+1 on that too, but being not able to tell the position of a switch/knob is a difference to complain about worn labels.

If you haven't noticed, I've also mentioned knobs and backlight of some buttons. Labels are only part of the problem.

You can easily ruin the current cockpit atmosphere by fixing everything worn and unreadable. That's why I suggested a separate, clean-ish version. Why having a relatively new plane as an option is untrue and unrealistic to you?

Dima | My DCS uploads

I don't care for labels... if it just was possible to read the altimeter... but it's Grumman's design choice. A bad one, as with all design choices. And, partly this is due to DCS's bad and dark lighting... I mean, sitting in the 'pit at high noon and it's almost pitch black inside so we'd need to crank up the lighting unrealistically, and this is an issue with almost every module and it always has been an issue...

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

+1

Well, the difference is in real life, you know where things are based on feel. Blindfold cockpit checks are part of your first sims when learning a new aircraft, or at least it is now in the US Navy's flight school. Can't exactly take that approach when you're just clicking things on a screen.

It's not true. The default cockpit is very hard to read at.

Exactly ! :thumbup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Please give us feedback on what particular items ar a bit of a pain and we'll make sure to alleviate as we go.

OK, let me be more specific. Here are the most annoying items, all in RIO's den. All screenshots were captured with the zoom level above the average, and with the cockpit lighting at maximum.

Poor backlight on the DDD and WCS pushbuttons:

iCFQ9eO.png

HCU modes are also poorly illuminated:

Mx75xHN.png

The dreadful radio knobs. No comments:

UT2XdFQ.png

Can you guess which CAP pushbutton were pressed (spoiler: it's #4)? Numeric keyboard is also unreadable. I mean, I can count to ten, but the button's titles ("NPR", "ALT", etc) are very hard to read even at max zoom.

DCDOgG7.png

The infamous LIQ COOLING switch. It's not hard to memorize its positions... after you google it, because the manual won't tell you that the aft is AWG and the fwd is AWG+Phoenix.

x6GBGtV.png

There are more, but they are less important.

Edited by Minsky

Dima | My DCS uploads

OK, let me be more specific. Here are the most annoying items, all in RIO's den. All screenshots were captured with the zoom level above the average, and with the cockpit lighting at maximum.

Ok, I see, in my mind, those are real "bugs" and not just whining about bad readable switches. You are right, those should be fixed.

Poor backlight on the DDD and WCS pushbuttons:

HCU modes are also poorly illuminated:

Can you guess which CAP pushbutton were pressed (spoiler: it's #4)? Numeric keyboard is also unreadable. I mean, I can count to ten, but the button's titles ("NPR", "ALT", etc) are very hard to read even at max zoom.

Nothing to do with readability directly. Since the last (bigger) DCS update, lights are generally way too weak in the F-14. You als can barely see the position or formation lights outside.

Before, thoses switches have been looking perfect.

The dreadful radio knobs. No comments:

Yes, there is some kind of indication missing to know where the knob stands.

The infamous LIQ COOLING switch. It's not hard to memorize its positions... after you google it, because the manual won't tell you that the aft is AWG and the fwd is AWG+Phoenix.

Its a bug (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=239037) with missing textures.

BTW, fwd is only for the A version of the phoenix.

Steam user - Youtube

Well, the difference is in real life, you know where things are based on feel. Blindfold cockpit checks are part of your first sims when learning a new aircraft, or at least it is now in the US Navy's flight school. Can't exactly take that approach when you're just clicking things on a screen.

Oh, so you're perfectly familiar with the cockpit and know where every switch is but if you can't feel it you're lost and need to read the labels? I get it now... NOT.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

In fact you nail the problem with this post. You have no problems as long as you are used to the Cat. O.k. But if you come back after a few weeks or months with Viper and others to come it will certainly be an issue. At least for me.

I find it very good to have such a worn cockpit. I'd find it even better if we could choose between an old and a relatively new cockpit.

I struggled at first, I don't now, except around the radio switches because I can't even see which way it's pointing or what to, however I seem to click it the right way now, but it took the longest to just memorise in the blind.

I do get the feeling though, there's a difference between a worn cockpit and a 'worn out' cockpit because it got left out in the open for the last thirty years. I mean, it was new at some point, The B might have been an upgraded 70's unit, but the inside looks more worn than the outside on that point.

It was pretty intimidating on day 1 in VR.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *