HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Hi, I have measured my IPD to 64 as well, via the scientific mirror method. Looking into the lenses one eye at a time the match pretty good with the sweet spot. And, this doesn’t happen in other sims or the cliff house.

Are you getting a strange sensation in the beginning that your head is slightly tilted? I've been getting that feeling sometimes, and I wasn't sure if I was imagining it.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

No issues here after plugging my Reverb into a USB DAC-UP socket...

Also the SteamVR forums suggest there will be a fix for the Win 1903 render target scale bug on the 9th July...

Anyone know if there will be a 2080ti SUPER ?

9900K @ 5GHz, 16Gb DDR4 @ 4000Mhz C17, Samsung 970 Pro M2 x 2, GTX Titan X (Pascal), EVGA 1000w PSU, HP Reverb pro.

Also the SteamVR forums suggest there will be a fix for the Win 1903 render target scale bug on the 9th July...

Not that a Google search throws up. 2080 Super - on paper - looks way behind 2080Ti.

Source for SteamVR forums 9 July?

EDIT: It's here https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/discussions/0/1644292361960505688/?ctp=2

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

One article said the 2080 Ti Super was going to be announced later after this initial Super roll-out. I took it that meant in the fall or early winter but no dates were given. I also read it makes no sense to go from a 2080 to a 2080 Super. The differences aren't that great. The Super seems to be a marketing ploy to update the existing product slightly but I would bet that there is little change in DCS VR FPS going from one to the other.

I have been watching for the 1903 fix closely. They couldn't drag it out any more than they have. I just hope they don't break something else worse as Microsoft is so well known for messing around in WMR. :-)

No issues here after plugging my Reverb into a USB DAC-UP socket...

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

One article said the 2080 Ti Super was going to be announced later after this initial Super roll-out. I took it that meant in the fall or early winter but no dates were given. I also read it makes no sense to go from a 2080 to a 2080 Super. The differences aren't that great. The Super seems to be a marketing ploy to update the existing product slightly but I would bet that there is little change in DCS VR FPS going from one to the other.
They will bring out a 2080ti super later. Probably months after the initial launch of the regular supers. It's just a cash grab move to make even more money since there is no competition. Like anything below a 2080ti was higher prices for the same specs upgrade compared to previous years upgrade cycles.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

There really needs to be a good AMD (or other) GPU competitor out there forcing them to push the envelope a little faster and to keep the prices to a more reasonable level. $1200 for a graphics card is ridiculous IMO.

The main mistake I made, however, was not hanging on to my NVIDIA stock. I owned 1000 shares in 2014 at just $19 just to speculate and got nervous and sold it at $99 (5X is not bad at all and I felt pretty good at the moment). It peaked at $281 last September. $243,000 in 4 years buys a lot of graphics cards. I nearly bought it again recently at $129 but the numbers aren't as good as they once were. If VR headsets takes off finally it could propel the need for faster cards. 8K res is helping. Finally, AMD is causing some downward pressure on price for a change.

NVIDIA's De Facto Price Cut Sets Up a Battle With AMD

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nvidia-apos-facto-price-cut-235200943.html

"When NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) launched its RTX 20 series of graphics cards last year, the company's pricing strategy didn't give gamers much value for their money. While the new cards were substantially faster than their predecessors, bloated price tags made them questionable upgrades. NVIDIA was only competing with itself in the higher-end portion of the market at the time, but high prices contributed to weak demand for the new cards.

While NVIDIA still owns the ultra-high end, the mid- to high-end portion of the graphics card market appears to be up for grabs for the first time in many years. AMD's new graphics cards won't fare quite as well against NVIDIA's faster SUPER variants, but price-to-performance should still be in the same ballpark for both AMD and NVIDIA."

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Hi, I have measured my IPD to 64 as well, via the scientific mirror method. Looking into the lenses one eye at a time the match pretty good with the sweet spot. And, this doesn’t happen in other sims or the cliff house.

I have measured with “scientific mirror method” and got 56mm. My optometrist says 64mm.

That is way off from my (clearly invalid) evaluation...

I’m glad I have 64mm though.

So I’m not saying your method is as bad as mine, but it looks like that measurement is trickier than it seems. Get a real measurement, you may be surprised like I was (but probably not by as much as 8mm).

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

There really needs to be a good AMD (or other) GPU competitor out there forcing them to push the envelope a little faster and to keep the prices to a more reasonable level. $1200 for a graphics card is ridiculous IMO.

It is announced how 2080ti will be 999$. It is sort of lowering prices as well.

I will be satisfied with it as well. This is 200$ just to cover the difference from Rift S to Reverb. So now you can get Rift S and 2080ti and in a month you will get Reverb and 2080ti for the same amount.

Are you getting a strange sensation in the beginning that your head is slightly tilted? I've been getting that feeling sometimes, and I wasn't sure if I was imagining it.

Yepp, tilted or distorted somehow. I know that with the O+ some people had a miss alignment problem between the two screens. Samsung paid attention and made a fix for this in DCS. A don’t have this in X-Plane 11 or P3D so I don’t think it’s the IPD. Also, my manual IPD setting in the O+ used to be 64.

Had blackout again today, but the FPS was good. I’ll post my specs and settings when I get the time.

I would request a cable replacement from HP if you are having any of the sound or display or other issues (PC lockup or WMR errors) with the Reverb. They need to know how many are bad.

I never realized until I got the Reverb that the DisplayPort does not just plug in like an HDMI plug. It locks in and cannot be removed unless the sides of the plug are squeezed. That said I got the idea from HP tech support that heat more than wiggling or looseness was the issue with the problems and cable.

I finally found someone locally where I can try the Valve Index this afternoon since I can still return the Reverb if I think it is better.

Edited by Secoda

It is announced how 2080ti will be 999$. It is sort of lowering prices as well.

I will be satisfied with it as well. This is 200$ just to cover the difference from Rift S to Reverb. So now you can get Rift S and 2080ti and in a month you will get Reverb and 2080ti for the same amount.

Depending on the performance of the 2080ti super, it may or may not be worth it. If the performance is greater than 25% I think anyone would want to go for the super vs a regular 2080ti. I don't think the super will be anything special other than being a higher price unlocked chip.

I'm still going to hang on to my 1080ti for as long as I can. Performance gains in the gpu world lately have been horrible over the years. Spending 1k on a card is not worth it unless I can get a good year or two out of it. Seems like every 7 months they will want us to throw more money. For the par dcs isn't even as optimized as it should be, so you can only throw more hardware at it to a certain extent.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Decisions decisions. It turns out that HP cannot get me the replacement cable now before my 30 day return/refund period runs out late next week. They told me officially they now have no ETA date on when fixed Reverb's will be shipped or the cables so I don't think any retailers will be receiving them anytime soon.

HP Sales in the US told me that they are unwilling to extend the 30 day refund period which I asked for because of the cable and after that it becomes a warranty repair even though the defect and cause would be theirs on a new product release. I don't have much confidence in their ability to repair it in a timely fashion with what I was just told. A repair is also no ETA because of the cable.

Right now it looks like I will be forced to return it for a full refund by early next week and then decide later on what I want to purchase so I have a calendar alert set. Oh no - back to my Lenovo Explorer (I didn't pay much for it and that is what it is worth IMO). :cry:

To be fair HP tech support has been great on communication and they have called me now twice on the Reverb and me several times and I always get through. Their sales operation is whole another story.

I am sure they will get them fixed eventually but the timeline is their challenge. In the meantime I will have been a thirty day Reverb tester unless they come up with a fix in the next week.

I just tried a Valve Index a few hours ago and I won't be going to one of those. I can't go back to SDE again and less clarity no matter how good it is in other ways. For me the Reverb was the best available for DCS at the moment. In a few months either the Reverb will be fixed and I will re-buy it or maybe something else that is 2160 x 2160 will come along. I read enough about the Pimax to scratch them off of the list.

It's tough to fathom that folks are still receiving new Reverb's now but the HP sales operates totally separate from the Tech support. If you have a Reverb heat is the enemy I think but in the cable/connector/plugs from what I was told. My headset didn't even get warm. Mine worked fine for about twenty hours before I started getting some sound issues and a USB error. I will decide for sure next week what to do and use it in the meantime. :joystick:

I am wondering if HP will recall all of the cables once they get the replacements. Let them know if it is having problems.

Edited by Secoda

I would return it while you still have the time. I bet they are trying their hardest not to do a wide recall yet. They screwed up big time in this design and my guess is they have not figured it out if the new cable actually fixes it or not. Unless they are just getting supply issues.

I'm sticking with the original odyssey having sold my rift CV1. Was hoping to go reverb but I'm turned off enough from it now that I'll just wait until I hear something officially from HP.

That's screwed up that they won't extend your return window when they told you that you would get a new cable and then they tell you that you can't get it and there is no ETA when they will have it? That just sounds like they haven't exactly figured it out.

Decisions decisions. It turns out that HP cannot get me the replacement cable now before my 30 day return/refund period runs out late next week. They told me officially they now have no ETA date on when fixed Reverb's will be shipped or the cables so I don't think any retailers will be receiving them anytime soon.

HP Sales in the US told me that they are unwilling to extend the 30 day refund period which I asked for because of the cable and after that it becomes a warranty repair even though the defect and cause would be theirs on a new product release. I don't have much confidence in their ability to repair it in a timely fashion with what I was just told. A repair is also no ETA because of the cable.

Right now it looks like I will be forced to return it for a full refund by early next week and then decide later on what I want to purchase so I have a calendar alert set. Oh no - back to my Lenovo Explorer (I didn't pay much for it and that is what it is worth IMO). :cry:

To be fair HP tech support has been great on communication and they have called me now twice on the Reverb and me several times and I always get through. Their sales operation is whole another story.

I am sure they will get them fixed eventually but the timeline is their challenge. In the meantime I will have been a thirty day Reverb tester unless they come up with a fix in the next week.

I just tried a Valve Index a few hours ago and I won't be going to one of those. I can't go back to SDE again and less clarity no matter how good it is in other ways. For me the Reverb was the best available for DCS at the moment. In a few months either the Reverb will be fixed and I will re-buy it or maybe something else that is 2160 x 2160 will come along. I read enough about the Pimax to scratch them off of the list.

It's tough to fathom that folks are still receiving new Reverb's now but the HP sales operates totally separate from the Tech support. If you have a Reverb heat is the enemy I think but in the cable/connector/plugs from what I was told. My headset didn't even get warm. Mine worked fine for about twenty hours before I started getting some sound issues and a USB error. I will decide for sure next week what to do and use it in the meantime. :joystick:

I am wondering if HP will recall all of the cables once they get the replacements. Let them know if it is having problems.

I realised last night that I hadn't tried setting my headset to 60hz in WMR. Changing that has improved the stability quite a bit but not completely. I can at least get an hour or two out of the headset before it crashes now. I imagine that this is simply because the lower refresh rate means less heat. Also the weather has been warmer in the last couple of weeks so that could contribute to the greater frequency of issues I had up until the refresh rate change yesterday. I'm meant to return my Reverb next Monday, but I may put it off for a few days in the hope that HP sort out the issues and get new stock that I can then swap out.

A small pie is soon eaten

I realised last night that I hadn't tried setting my headset to 60hz in WMR. Changing that has improved the stability quite a bit but not completely. I can at least get an hour or two out of the headset before it crashes now. I imagine that this is simply because the lower refresh rate means less heat. Also the weather has been warmer in the last couple of weeks so that could contribute to the greater frequency of issues I had up until the refresh rate change yesterday. I'm meant to return my Reverb next Monday, but I may put it off for a few days in the hope that HP sort out the issues and get new stock that I can then swap out.
I would hope they get it sorted soon but seeing how he was told a week a go or so that they would send him a new cable, and now they say there is no ETA, I don't think a few days would do anything for us.

They mentioned that the cable was being sourced (and I took it as outsourced) so they may not have manufactured it. I am wondering if they originally tested the headsets without the final long cables. :doh:

I also have a TrackIR and an Samsung 82" QLED 4K TV/Monitor as an option but TrackIR really sux after VR but it would be temporary. It's just that the Reverb clarity spoiled me after the Lenovo.

I would return it while you still have the time. I bet they are trying their hardest not to do a wide recall yet. They screwed up big time in this design and my guess is they have not figured it out if the new cable actually fixes it or not. Unless they are just getting supply issues.

I'm sticking with the original odyssey having sold my rift CV1. Was hoping to go reverb but I'm turned off enough from it now that I'll just wait until I hear something officially from HP.

That's screwed up that they won't extend your return window when they told you that you would get a new cable and then they tell you that you can't get it and there is no ETA when they will have it? That just sounds like they haven't exactly figured it out.

I would hope they get it sorted soon but seeing how he was told a week a go or so that they would send him a new cable, and now they say there is no ETA, I don't think a few days would do anything for us.

Good point

I just got an email from the support HP person that they will contact me two days before the 30 day return is up next week to see if a replacement is available (total unit replacement at this point). If not we will do the return/refund instead of the return/replacement. At this point just a cable replacement is out.

Boy what a nightmare it's been. Have they actually contacted you back or do you have to call in every time and inquire? I had issues that I had similar things happen to me with Dell and Motorola, but I always got an answer after I called back and bugged them.

At times when I didn't get the outcome I wanted I went to their official Twitter or Reddit and posted there. Someone would obviously respond after that. That's how I got my replacement Dell XPS 15 after their tech damaged my original.

I had problems with Dell before too. At that point I was still working and went to the company business sales rep. and she got it "handled" right away.

The HP guy doing all of the communications seems to be a liaison between everyone at HP and the customer to resolve problems even if it means a return/refund. Easy to reach and talk to but no power. I think I was assigned him when I posted a lack of a response on the their support community forum which they heavily monitor. The problem is you really don't know how deep the problems might go. While the headset I have still works pretty well now they currently seem to have no parts or ways to fix the original problems and with no ETA. How were they allowed to release it?

On their web site they cite three commercial uses they are targeting. The third one is:

"Tackle the complex challenges of surgery and help clients visualize your plan with a new level of clarity in VR".

Really?

HP REVERB VIRTUAL REALITY HEADSET – PRO EDITION

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/mixed-reality-headset/index.html

Edited by Secoda

My guess is they haven't found the exact root cause. Seeing as it's marketed for professional use cases, it was probably not rigorously tested for hours on end with a longer cable, etc. Or perhaps the machines it was tested on were very beefed up and isolated with only what they needed to run the headset for whatever professional use case they are marketing for.

I'm still guessing here that it wasn't going to be bought widely by consumers and when the initial reviews came out with issues, that's when they realized there's a problem but haven't identified root cause completely.

Surgery? Some surgeries take hours and I imagine you would need a longer cable to work with if you're a doctor or med school student who is using it to practice a real life scenario. I think they consider themselves lucky that it didn't sell all over the place due to demand issues or we would probably be seeing more people coming out with problems.

I think you are right about the root cause may be more than just the long cable piece. This guy on Reddit claims his Reverb problem is the cable from the connector to headset and he can make it happen by pinching it an inch from the connector although it could still be the connector IMO. He said it works pretty now well with the zip tie fix. lol

I see someone just posted "Another Reverb Failure" on HP Community Support web site.

"Just received my Reverb today. Well 10 seconds after putting on the HMD I got every issue ever brought up on reddit. Loss of signal, loss of brightness, lines down the screen, screen sparkles for a minute or two... etc. I know the cause of most of the issues, it's the dang cable from the HMD itself. The round cable about an inch from the little box connector is bad. I can wiggle the cable in that area and HMD will lose power and screens shut down or the screens will get snow with lines down the sides unless the cable is completely straight with zero bend anywhere near that connector area. To prevent this I had to wire tie the darn cable to the strap to keep the cable from moving or bending. What a hassle and it's not like I can just disconnect the cable at the HMD to replace it, the cable that's bad is the one attached to the HMD permanently. "

Edited by Secoda

I think you are right about the root cause may be more than just the long cable piece. This guy on Reddit claims his Reverb problem is the cable from the connector to headset and he can make it happen by pinching it an inch from the connector although it could still be the connector IMO. He said it works pretty now well with the zip tie fix. lol

I see someone just posted "Another Reverb Failure" on HP Community Support web site.

"Just received my Reverb today. Well 10 seconds after putting on the HMD I got every issue ever brought up on reddit. Loss of signal, loss of brightness, lines down the screen, screen sparkles for a minute or two... etc. I know the cause of most of the issues, it's the dang cable from the HMD itself. The round cable about an inch from the little box connector is bad. I can wiggle the cable in that area and HMD will lose power and screens shut down or the screens will get snow with lines down the sides unless the cable is completely straight with zero bend anywhere near that connector area. To prevent this I had to wire tie the darn cable to the strap to keep the cable from moving or bending. What a hassle and it's not like I can just disconnect the cable at the HMD to replace it, the cable that's bad is the one attached to the HMD permanently. "

I've also added my own gripes to the same site just to voice my frustration.

Hp fails on their device ; the headset will be never release for at least 2 months after the holidays and maybe canceled in the worst case.

My only hope is acer with his ojo concept D cross fingers they release it .

Hp fails on their device ; the headset will be never release for at least 2 months after the holidays and maybe canceled in the worst case.
this is primarily a business headset, it will get sorted, businesses live with delays whilst version 1.0 devices get sorted and HP have the benefit they are the only big name with a device of this specification. In the corporate world it takes many months before say a new iPhone becomes general issue to users by the time it Mobile providers add it to their portfolio of approved supported devices and each corporate does its own usability testing and security integration.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat