Low drags falling long in nav release mode

Rolds

Video?

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

The Nav release mode is for bombing a waypoint. Bombs therefore should hit where your waypoint marker is placed, if you fly correctly. Of course that requires your navigation system to be accurate with no drift.

The procedure is as follows:

Ern3uIA.jpg

If you think you followed it and still keep missing you will probably need to attach a track or a video link. Otherwise, it will be hard to figure out the problem.

Also note that we can only enter waypoints up to a certain precision.

The Lat/Long format is DD°MM'SS''. So we are accurate up to one second. However, one second still represents an area of roughly 30m * 26m (98ft * 85ft).

(see Accuracy of Lat-Long in DDM and DMS)

It is likely that, with that precision, a waypoint is not spot on a target.

Edited by Zabuza

Yeah I am following that procedure and hitting the target but not bracketing the waypoint as expected, there are two things that seem apparent from my attempts:

1. The guidance in nav mode has you fly 400m above target elevation, this causes all bombs to miss long. When I ignore the guidance and fly 200m or lower, I get hits but...

2. The first impact is fairly close to the waypoint, so to bracket an area target I need to remember that and move the mark point accordingly.

Curious if this jives with the experience of others.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Rolds!

What happens if you would reduce speed down to M0.7?

Just tried, test 1 release height 300m QFE, release speed M.73, first impact dead on target, which was destroyed, then the line proceeded from there.

Test 2 release height 400m QFE, release speed M.70, all long.