New features neede for F-5E-3

captflyby

Flew first combat cluster ... in the F-5E-3 last night.

The aircraft had no power, maneuverability, or situational awareness.

Weapons went dry fast.

The F5's were cannon fodder.

Since then, I have learned a few things that may help next time out.

I wish the F-5E-3 could be retrofitted it with a few modern electronics, but I realize that will never happen.

I do like flying it though.

And yes, thanks to a suggestion, learned how to squeeze more horsepower out of the old bird.

Edited by captflyby
Learned from posters.
  • Like 6

RWR - just alerts the enemy as to who YOU are. Not them.

IFF is not IN if it is not functional.

AIM-9s are a lot like taking a musket to an M4 competition. Sorry.

RWR tells you what types of radars are out there and does not alert the people behind those radars.

Well, you should fight MiG-21s or the planes around that time, not MiG-29s or Tomcats...

Put my changes (as optional mods) in the F-5E-3 and I'll be able to take on the big boys. Other that that you are just kidding yourself.

They won't even add AGM-65s because they don't have enough documentation about the pilot's interface for it, and you believe that they'll add un-specified and unrealistic changes based on your post because you want to 'take on the big boys'? I somehow very much doubt that. :D

The F-5E-3 is staying as it is. You want to fight modern fighters, get yourself a modern fighter. There are plenty of them in the sim.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Why don't you just w8 for the F-18 and leave the rest of us metalheads with our primitive ac's in our own era? Me no like you.

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

This thread is gold !

DCS is a simulator.

The DCS F-5 module that is simulated is the F-5E-3.

The F-5E-3 that is simulated does not have a moving map, autopilot, powerfull engine, modernized cockpit....

As a result of the above the DCS F-5E-5 is fine as it is.

If the F-5 did have the above DCS wouldn't be a simulator.

THE F-5 IS FINE AS IT IS !

• Like 1

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

The aircraft has no power

No maneuverability

No situational awareness

Almost no weapons to speak of.

Agreed, but that's all consistent with the air frame.

There is a reason why the US air defenses used this platform for training/transport ONLY.

Probably because of the reasons you state above.

AT THE VERY LEAST, the F-5E-3 needs to be retrofitted with the following:

1. MOVING MAP. You cannot fight if you don't know where you are. Period.

2. More powerful engines. Don't care if realistic or not. This is a lead sled in combat.

3. Modernize the in cockpit situational awareness electronics. Threat radar. IFF. AIMs. At least as mod options.

4. and don't even get me started on no altitude hold.

Take your hand off the stick, for anything, that the plane goes its own way. Add that to a VR environment and it can be a handful, even in a sim.

5. This bird will never stand a chance as long as the DCS AI fighters climb like rockets with seemingly no energy loss in the climb or turns. IF you want to talk realism - that is not realism.

What you're describing is not an F5-E, it's something else.

Regarding #5 - So your line in the sand is that the realism of the AI flight model is an issue but the creation and use of a fictional aircraft is OK?

The only reason I fly it now is that it is the ONLY realistic aircraft that has some speed. A-10C has what you need, but by the time you get there, the fight is all over.

The only realistic aircraft with some speed? Mirage? Harrier? Didn't you just say the F-5E has no power?

When the F/A - 18C comes out, the F-5E-3 will be hangared - most likely, permanently.

Again, you're looking for combat capability, not an accurate simulation of an F-5E.

I have the Mirage, and I have the FA-18C pre-ordered and the F-5E gets, and will continue to get, plenty of flight time precisely because it's a different experience from a 4th gen fighter.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

I don't get what his point in creating this thread was in the first place :D. Capt, could you please make up your mind about what you actually want from this sim and plane, or at least attempt to explain it in any coherent way? You write one thing on the first page and switch to something opposite on the second...

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.