Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

Any chopper pilots out there got the base unit with soft centre cams?

Need to hear some feedback on spring tension around the centre position as well as ease of movement and wetness of movement, especially in comparison to the hawg base unit.

I read that there are some "rough" cams out there and this is ok initially but at the end of development we want highly polished, slicker than snot metal on metal contacts.

Reviews please chaps, do not worry about bad reviews, its good for you to talk and just let the pressure off, its good for me and it is definitely good for the manufacturer and their end product success.

I do but unfortunately was in the early batch of bad cams, I am anxiously awaiting my replacement cams to give the soft center cams along with soft springs a try...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so everyone knows, the replacement cams are going out tomorrow!

:thumbup:

That is great to hear, thanks!

I am really looking forward to changing mine out.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The "rough" cams were a faulty batch from the factory, we're replacing these with newly revised polished cams :thumbup:

I'll leave other users to respond to your other points though as I'm sure my opinion on the matter would be biased! :pilotfly:

Thanks Cyph3r,

looking forward to reading the reviews.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I do but unfortunately was in the early batch of bad cams, I am anxiously awaiting my replacement cams to give the soft center cams along with soft springs a try...

Looking forward to your feedback.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I have the soft cam in and it works well for Helo flying with the medium springs. There is no real notch in the center. Afraid I havent tried the no center cam but have done a lot of sling loading and not had a problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Hi LeCuvier! ...

Cams:

• 1 Dot = Hard Center
  • 2 Dot = Soft Center
  • 4 Dot = No Center

Springs:

• White = Light
  • Blue = Medium
  • Red = Heavy

@Cyph3r:

The 2 dots on the soft center cams are well visible, but the 4 dots on the No Center cams are too faint. On one of my cams they are virtually invisible!

Have you ever polled for preferences on the cams and springs? I would think that very few people want the hard center cams pre-installed.

I have done a few combat tests with Mig-29 and Bf-109 and I find that the stick is very accurate in positioning; but the hard center makes it difficult to aim at a manoeveringtarget. When you use missiles that's not so bad; but for gun use it's a problem.

My opinion is that VPC should supply the stick with the soft center installed.

The medium springs seem ok as a default, although for use with the T-50 grip the soft ones would probably work better for me. For use with the TMWH grip, the medium ones are probably necessary.

Now I will have to try to change the cams to "soft center" which will be tricky from what I have read on this thread.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Hi LeCuvier,

We're already received a lot of feedback regarding the pre-installed cams. Units are currently being assembled with the soft-center cam by default :)

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cam replacement experience

I just completed cam replacement on my T-50 and here is some feedback.

1. General finding: many of the threads are not well finished and require some force for turning the screws. The designers have apparently not kept in mind that cams and/or springs will be changed by the users.

2. 2 different screw diameters (M3 and M4) but 3 different Allen wrench sizes required. The 2 M3 screws in front require a 2.5 mm wrench; the ones that fix the cams require 2 mm wrench. Unnecessary variation.

3. I had no problem pulling the pitch cam out with combination pliers. But getting the soft one in was a challenge. The tolerances are too tight. In the end I had to tap it with the rubber-coated handle of my pliers. And that's not a desirable process for precision mechanics. Actually I could put the hard one back in with no problem, but the soft ones were slightly different (bigger) in some dimension(s).

4. The 2 front screws that you have to take out hold the electronics board inside. There are M3 washers on the inner side of the board. Make sure you don't lose them when you turn the screws out!

5. Putting the electronics board back in turned out to be the real challenge. The M3 washer has to be held (hardly visible) between a ribbon cable and the board as you turn the screw back in. I used needle pliers (not sure if that's the right word; in German:Spitzzange), praying that I wouldn't damage the printed circuit. This is probably easily managed at the assembly line; but it's the only step in the process that made me sweat and swear. I'm sure there are better ways to fix a circuit board. I could imagine little plastic rails where the board just slides in. If that's not a desirable solution then at least the 3 mm washers should be fixed (soldered?) to the board so

a) you don't lose them

b) you don't have to perform micro-acrobatics when you put the board back in.

6. I forgot: the roll cams are easy to change.

My stick is till working, halleluia, and the centering is much smoother than with the 1-dot cams! Now I have to try it in practice...

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Great observations. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

I just completed cam replacement on my T-50 and here is some feedback.

1. General finding: many of the threads are not well finished and require some force for turning the screws. The designers have apparently not kept in mind that cams and/or springs will be changed by the users.

2. 2 different screw diameters (M3 and M4) but 3 different Allen wrench sizes required. The 2 M3 screws in front require a 2.5 mm wrench; the ones that fix the cams require 2 mm wrench. Unnecessary variation.

3. I had no problem pulling the pitch cam out with combination pliers. But getting the soft one in was a challenge. The tolerances are too tight. In the end I had to tap it with the rubber-coated handle of my pliers. And that's not a desirable process for precision mechanics. Actually I could put the hard one back in with no problem, but the soft ones were slightly different (bigger) in some dimension(s).

4. The 2 front screws that you have to take out hold the electronics board inside. There are M3 washers on the inner side of the board. Make sure you don't lose them when you turn the screws out!

5. Putting the electronics board back in turned out to be the real challenge. The M3 washer has to be held (hardly visible) between a ribbon cable and the board as you turn the screw back in. I used needle pliers (not sure if that's the right word; in German:Spitzzange), praying that I wouldn't damage the printed circuit. This is probably easily managed at the assembly line; but it's the only step in the process that made me sweat and swear. I'm sure there are better ways to fix a circuit board. I could imagine little plastic rails where the board just slides in. If that's not a desirable solution then at least the 3 mm washers should be fixed (soldered?) to the board so

a) you don't lose them

b) you don't have to perform micro-acrobatics when you put the board back in.

6. I forgot: the roll cams are easy to change.

My stick is till working, halleluia, and the centering is much smoother than with the 1-dot cams! Now I have to try it in practice...

Intel I7 4770K, Evga 1080 FE, win10 64Pro, 32GB ram, TracIR 5, Hotas Warthog, MFD Cougar x2, MFG Crosswind

Thanks for the write up! Helps give me a sense of what to expect.

I sure hope I can handle changing mine out ok, it may be a challenge for me as I am partially blind. I am definitely going to have to give it a try though when my replacement cams get here. The stock cams are just too hard a center for me, and the stock springs ( even with 175mm extension) too strong.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Thanks for the write up! Helps give me a sense of what to expect.

I sure hope I can handle changing mine out ok, it may be a challenge for me as I am partially blind. I am definitely going to have to give it a try though when my replacement cams get here. The stock cams are just too hard a center for me, and the stock springs ( even with 175mm extension) too strong.

It may be easier for you if you change the cams while the mechanics stays inside the housing (i.e don't remove the electronics board from the front that LeCuvier said he had issues with!)

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It may be easier for you if you change the cams while the mechanics stays inside the housing (i.e don't remove the electronics board from the front that LeCuvier said he had issues with!)

Thanks for the tip, good to know that does not have to be removed to install these. I was starting to sweat a little there...

Don B

@Cypher: if somebody from your team could make a video tutorial it will be best.

Don't worry, there will be some high quality how-to videos available soon :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First flights with soft cam

I did some combat exercises with Mig-29S and Bf-109. Wowwwwww!

After installing the soft cam, I have adjusted the pitch and roll spring tension as soft as possible while the stick still returns to center from the slightest deflections. The result is awesome. No center bump at all and smoothest steady movement in all directions. I could never aim the aircraft so precisely at its target. It was definitely worth the money and the sweat!

I will be enjoying this!

As a next step, when I can muster the courage, I would like to put my TM Warthog grip onto the T-50 base. I'm still a bit reluctant though because I'm not sure I can plug the TMWH grip into the mini-Din connector of the base without damage, and get it out again later without damage. With the TM-50 grip that's easier, as the grip side connector comes out a bit and so I can hold and align the two mini-DIN connectors. The TMWH grip's connector does not come out and so I don't know how to ensure proper alignment. And later when I want to pull it out, I fear I will put too much strain on the base side cable. So I hope someone will try this and report back.

Why I want to use the TMWH grip? For use with the A-10C, and other modern aircraft (e.g. KA-50) that can benefit from the additional switches.

LeCuvier

I did some combat exercises with Mig-29S and Bf-109. Wowwwwww!

After installing the soft cam, I have adjusted the pitch and roll spring tension as soft as possible while the stick still returns to center from the slightest deflections. The result is awesome. No center bump at all and smoothest steady movement in all directions. I could never aim the aircraft so precisely at its target. It was definitely worth the money and the sweat!

I will be enjoying this!

As a next step, when I can muster the courage, I would like to put my TM Warthog grip onto the T-50 base. I'm still a bit reluctant though because I'm not sure I can plug the TMWH grip into the mini-Din connector of the base without damage, and get it out again later without damage. With the TM-50 grip that's easier, as the grip side connector comes out a bit and so I can hold and align the two mini-DIN connectors. The TMWH grip's connector does not come out and so I don't know how to ensure proper alignment. And later when I want to pull it out, I fear I will put too much strain on the base side cable. So I hope someone will try this and report back.

Why I want to use the TMWH grip? For use with the A-10C, and other modern aircraft (e.g. KA-50) that can benefit from the additional switches.

That's great to hear! :thumbsup: Glad you're having a good time with it.

I've used the TMW Grip on the MT-50 base and you just need to eyeball the alignment before you bring them together, and as long as you don't force anything, it will just drop into the connector under it's own weight. Also detaching it again is no problem!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Units are currently being assembled with the soft-center cam by default smile.gif

This is great! I honestly impressed by how Cyph3r and VirPil are working :)

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

I think I recall someone pondering if the spring strength was sufficient for the topheavy Warthog. My Base came preinstalled with medium springs and soft cam. With a 12 cm extension from Milan, the creator of the mfg crosswind it stays put in the middle very well.

Haven't adjusted the spring strength yet because I still need to secure the Base to something. All in all very happy with it. Dry practicing feels already very smooth.

Edit: I do wonder though if the wires are supposed to be exposed just above the gimbal and going to the din connector. They seem to chave ever so slightly against the metal hole it's going through when pitching up or down

IMG_1216.thumb.JPG.8ac2ae2350497072b09751b9a6a580ad.JPG

IMG_1217.thumb.JPG.bcef4888d913e65d4d59225bc07a262a.JPG

Edited by kingpinda

...I've used the TMW Grip on the MT-50 base and you just need to eyeball the alignment before you bring them together, and as long as you don't force anything, it will just drop into the connector under it's own weight. Also detaching it again is no problem!

@Cyph3r: have connected and disconnected my T-50 grip a few times and that requires less force now.

I was therefore encouraged to try what you said, and in fact the TMWH grip went in quite easily. I will have to increase the tension of the pitch spring just a little bit to make it balanced.

However (I'm sorry to have a "however" again): I downloaded a picture that you downloaded some time ago, and which shows on the right the T-50 base and stick, and on the left the T-50 base with the TMWH grip. And it shows the button assignments for both configurations. However, that picture still shows the originally planned button number assignments, and I verified that the actual button numbering with the TMWH grip in is totally different from what that picture shows.

Can you please upload an updated version of that picture? It will be useful when people start updating control bindings for use with the TMWH grip.

I attach the picture I'm referring to.

VPCButtonMap.thumb.jpg.e092d63ee011573e7693b65910657a19.jpg

• Like 1

LeCuvier

@Cyph3r: have connected and disconnected my T-50 grip a few times and that requires less force now.

I was therefore encouraged to try what you said, and in fact the TMWH grip went in quite easily. I will have to increase the tension of the pitch spring just a little bit to make it balanced.

However (I'm sorry to have a "however" again): I downloaded a picture that you downloaded some time ago, and which shows on the right the T-50 base and stick, and on the left the T-50 base with the TMWH grip. And it shows the button assignments for both configurations. However, that picture still shows the originally planned button number assignments, and I verified that the actual button numbering with the TMWH grip in is totally different from what that picture shows.

Can you please upload an updated version of that picture? It will be useful when people start updating control bindings for use with the TMWH grip.

Picture saved. Thx for sharing :smilewink:

Yes it would definitely bu useful for other users if Cyph3r uploaded it

Intel I7 4770K, Evga 1080 FE, win10 64Pro, 32GB ram, TracIR 5, Hotas Warthog, MFD Cougar x2, MFG Crosswind

Caution: that picture is obsolete! I only uploaded it so Cyph3r knows what I was referring to.

LeCuvier

TMWH Grip button ID's change completely with T-50 base!

I have recorded the button ID's that the TMWH grip exposes when used with the T-50 base and compared them to the native Warthog button ID's. The ID's are totally different.

z8rLGDJwD2QGAAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=Even the POV hat is no longer a POV hat. Instead, the TMS switch has become a POV. I attach the cross-reference.

@Cypher: I supose all this is determined by firmware.

So before I start creating new control bindings I need to know: Will it stay this way or will it change with a possible future firmware update?

PS:

My migration strategy is to continue using the hardware buttons for the same functions as before. Which means I have to assign different Button ID's to the functions. This is a significant effort as it will apply to all "modern" aircraft I own. And that's why I need to know if that's the way it will be going forward.

Edit: I had an error in the attached cross-reference. Original attachment replaced by corrected one.

z8rLGDJwD2QGAAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

TMWH Grip Button ID CrossReference.pdf

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Glad to hear you got them swapped over okay!

Regarding that image, that is if you use the MT-50 grip on the TM Warthog base! I will create a new button mapping template for the TM Warthog grip on the MT-50 base :)

I did upload it ;) But remember those ID's are for the MT-50 grip on the TM Warthog base!

I have recorded the button ID's that the TMWH grip exposes when used with the T-50 base and compared them to the native Warthog button ID's. The ID's are totally different.

Even the POV hat is no longer a POV hat. Instead, the TMS switch has become a POV. I attach the cross-reference.

@Cypher: I supose all this is determined by firmware.

So before I start creating new control bindings I need to know: Will it stay this way or will it change with a possible future firmware update?

PS:

My migration strategy is to continue using the hardware buttons for the same functions as before. Which means I have to assign different Button ID's to the functions. This is a significant effort as it will apply to all "modern" aircraft I own. And that's why I need to now if that's the way it will be going forward.

I will confirm with our Electronics engineer, but I believe how it is now is how it will stay :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]