Realsimulator F-16SGRH Tips

As more people are beginning to receive their F-16SGRH deliveries, it's time to make your new toy shine a bit more. Here's a trick to maximize the amount of Dx inputs on your new F-16SGRH stick. In this post, I will discuss the use of DX Center Buttons D-click mode.

With use of above double-click mode, all the 5-way switches become 9-way DX inputs.

To do this turn on D-Click mode for DX Center Buttons in the Dev Tool app.

In this mode, all the center button inputs are only activated via double click, and each center button also acts as a modifier/shift switch. This is similar in concept to DCS modifier switch setting except that you can still bind keyboard/DX input to that switch, but need to double click to activate it.

Each directional switch on that particular button becomes an extra DX input by holding the center button down and push to the desire direction. And it also counts as DX input as well, not just as regular keyboard command so it can be assigned as DX input without keyboard binding in any game.

For example, the CMS button. I have it set up for communication with AI so that when I hold the center down and push forward it will activate F1, center+right for F2, center+aft for F3, center+left for F4. I assign these as keyboard commands in Dev Tool app, as direct binding as DX inputs in DCS will only activate view modes.

This mode in combination with 8 different memory slots (switchable on the fly in game) will pretty much give you plenty of binding options to cover all your needs. Also in each memory slot, pitch & roll sensitivity/precision/DX mode/HAT vs POV/force control scaling can be configured separately.:thumbup:

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Interesting, I actually do something similar with joy2key with the warthog on an FSSB R3 base.

How do you like the F-16GRH stick? Do you feel like its really worth it if you already have a warthog stick?

If you are perfectly happy with the Warthog there is no reason to upgrade. For me the extra buttons, memory slots, build quality, ability to modify the stick settings without running external software, and Bluetooth functionality are worth the money.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Realsimulator F-16SGRH Tips

More....

[How to update firmware]

-must use Bluetooth for now

-if the PC is connected to RS-F16-SGR-HOME this must be removed in Bluetooth setting

-to put stick in firmware update mode press and hold Trigger 2, TMS center, DMS center for 1 second

-in this mode the 2nd LED light will stay on

-Add device in Windows Bluetooth setting, look for RS-F16-SGR-BOOTLOADER and add this

-run DCC app and select the firmware update

-when done, go back to bluetooth window and remove the RS-F16-SGR-BOOTLOADER

[How to use Bluetooth mode]

-put the stick in Bluetooth search mode by pressing CMS center and DMS center

-The left LED light will start flashing

-open Bluetooth setting and click add

-Look for RS-F16-SGR-HOME and add this

-LED light will stop flashing once connection is made

Edited by Supmua

Received my grip today and so far all I've done is made my FSSB3L stop working. At least in the HID device tool. I uninstalled the tool I had and installed the latest dated 9/17 I think. After attaching the grip to the FSSB3L I went to the HID tool and from there everything except the center buttons seemed to be working. However, when I click on the F16SGRH Tab I get an exception error and am asked if I want to close the program or continue. I say continue and from here I test buttons. So far, the only memory slot that seems to function correctly is the 4th. I can see it hitting the proper buttons in the Windows devices and the effected buttons are what I would expect to see: 1 for trigger 4 for paddle and so on.

Once I'm on the F16SGRH Tab in the HID program, I do not see key presses but instead I see keystrokes typed out. Not every switch types something out though. For instance the DMS will work side to side but not up and down.

I am hooked to bluetooth and see RS-F16-SGR HOME in the list of bluetooth devices. Do I need to update the firmware on my FSSBR3L??? Otherwise I'm confused as hell.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Got it. FSSBR3L needed updating.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh, yeah. It's very nice having left and right mouse button on the DMS and TMS Centers. Once I updated the firmware on the FSSB3L everything in the HID Dev tool worked perfectly. Now to figure out what to do with an extra 32 buttons!

One thing you notice right away is the weight. It's designed to be used without a base if need be using only a power cable and Bluetooth so that was a good call. It is VERY light but once connected you'll never know.

The buttons have a very tactile snappy feel and I won't have any issue with hitting wrong buttons. My only gripe is they use the "stadium" style DMS switch instead of the "castle" which is what the newer blocks like the 50 use. I've replaced my Warthog DMS switches with Debolestis' Castle switches and I will miss them. Other wise it is nice and clean.

Another change from having both it and the FSSB3L is now I have 4 controllers in DCS. It was slightly confusing figuring out which did what but in the end it's easy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IMG_8044_zpsalyuzfvq.jpgIMG_8045_zps6rpvgrrl.jpgIMG_8046_zpso9wcpnog.jpgIMG_8047_zpshvzozs1w.jpgIMG_8048_zpsahx3yavi.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh, yeah. It's very nice having left and right mouse button on the DMS and TMS Centers. Once I updated the firmware on the FSSB3L everything in the HID Dev tool worked perfectly. Now to figure out what to do with an extra 32 buttons!

This is a great thread and post! I’m watching this thread intently and looking REALLY hard at buying one of these... 32 extra buttons good lord that’s awesome I think I could find very good uses for the DMS, DMS & CMS center clicks plus the upgrades to 5-way(?) pinkie & step button on the side. :thumbup:

This thing is definitely supposed to plug & play with a standard Warthog base right?

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

One thing you notice right away is the weight. It's designed to be used without a base if need be using only a power cable and Bluetooth so that was a good call. It is VERY light but once connected you'll never know.

The buttons have a very tactile snappy feel and I won't have any issue with hitting wrong buttons. My only gripe is they use the "stadium" style DMS switch instead of the "castle" which is what the newer blocks like the 50 use. I've replaced my Warthog DMS switches with Debolestis' Castle switches and I will miss them. Other wise it is nice and clean.

Another change from having both it and the FSSB3L is now I have 4 controllers in DCS. It was slightly confusing figuring out which did what but in the end it's easy.

I use pinky switch left/right for mouse buttons, works pretty well with VR setup.

I use pinky switch left/right for mouse buttons, works pretty well with VR setup.

I'll try that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is a great thread and post! I’m watching this thread intently and looking REALLY hard at buying one of these... 32 extra buttons good lord that’s awesome I think I could find very good uses for the DMS, DMS & CMS center clicks plus the upgrades to 5-way(?) pinkie & step button on the side. :thumbup:

This thing is definitely supposed to plug & play with a standard Warthog base right?

Yes. However, you don't need a base for it to be a fully functioning stick. You need a power supply of 5v which you get from the included USB cable and a Bluetooth dongle. The stick connect via Bluetooth not through the USB even when connect to a FSSB Lighting. Pitch, roll and yaw are handled by internal accelerometers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes. However, you don't need a base for it to be a fully functioning stick. You need a power supply of 5v which you get from the included USB cable and a Bluetooth dongle. The stick connect via Bluetooth not through the USB even when connect to a FSSB Lighting. Pitch, roll and yaw are handled by internal accelerometers.

Huh... so is Bluetooth the ONLY option? (i.e. it REQUIRES a PC with a Bluetooth receiver?) OR is Bluetooth just a wireless option but can communicate via a USB connection?

I’m very intrigued it’s just the information on the website isn’t super clear.

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

Huh... so is Bluetooth the ONLY option? (i.e. it REQUIRES a PC with a Bluetooth receiver?) OR is Bluetooth just a wireless option but can communicate via a USB connection?

I’m very intrigued it’s just the information on the website isn’t super clear.

There are two different modes you can use, wired and wireless.

In wired mode, the stick works perfectly with FSSB R3L and Thrustmaster's warthog bases. The Warthog, however, is limited to 19 DX inputs plus 8-directional POV switch. The FSSB R3L on the other hand can utilize all 64 DX inputs plus 8 different memory slot layers for a total of 512 DX inputs.

The wireless mode connects to PC via bluetooth pairing (like BT headphones, playstation, xbox, etc.), plus X/Y/Z axis inputs so you can either use that or your own joystick base. The stick can take power from any USB connection, including lithium-ion battery powerpack, or from compatible joystick bases.

For example, if you plug it into Virpil's WarBRD base (or Warthog base), you can assign the base for axis input in DCS but for button input you will use F-16SGRH via BT connection in order to take full advantage of its features. Or you can leave the Virpil base alone treating it as a fixture and use the axis input from the stick via BT (you get extra Z axis for yaw control).

If you plug it into FSSB R3L, you can completely turn off BT since it can utilize all the features via wired connection.

Edited by Supmua

In wired mode, the stick works perfectly with FSSB R3L and Thrustmaster's warthog bases. The Warthog, however, is limited to 19 DX inputs plus 8-directional POV switch. The FSSB R3L on the other hand can utilize all 64 DX inputs plus 8 different memory slot layers for a total of 512 DX inputs.

The wireless mode connects to PC via bluetooth pairing (like BT headphones, playstation, xbox, etc.), plus X/Y/Z axis inputs so you can either use that or your own joystick base. The stick can take power from any USB connection, including lithium-ion battery powerpack, or from compatible joystick bases.

For example, if you plug it into Virpil's WarBRD base (or Warthog base), you can assign the base for axis input in DCS but for button input you will use F-16SGRH via BT connection in order to take full advantage of its features. Or you can leave the Virpil base alone treating it as a fixture and use the axis input from the stick via BT (you get extra Z axis for yaw control).

If you plug it into FSSB R3L, you can completely turn off BT since it can utilize all the features via wired connection.

Ahhhhhh got it - that makes perfect sense now... thank you for the clear explanation. sounds like I need to look into BT modules as I don’t *think* my Asus MB has a BT receiver. Have to check that...

Interesting stuff I think I’m closer to pulling the trigger...thanks again...

Edit: sweet! Asus Maximus XI Hero does indeed support BT 5.0...

Edited by Twwhitey

My motherboard has BT 5.0 and that doesn't play well with it. I've tried around 5 different BT dongles and the only reliable one for me is the CSR 4.0 ($6-7 on Amazon which is quite cheap), other ones exhibited intermittent connection loss while gaming even though the initial pairing went well.

My motherboard has BT 5.0 and that doesn't play well with it. I've tried around 5 different BT dongles and the only reliable one for me is the CSR 4.0 ($6-7 on Amazon which is quite cheap), other ones exhibited intermittent connection loss while gaming even though the initial pairing went well.

Interesting.. good to note, I’ll keep that in mind, for $7 I’d pick one of those up just in case... thanks for the heads up!

Sweet! I was unaware of this. Also, the on-board Bluetooth in my Asus Z390 E Gamer board works perfectly with the F-16SGRH.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I am now using the pinky switch right for the right mouse click and it works great. However when I tried using it or the TMS center press for left click, it doesn't work like the switch I use on my throttle for left mouse click. Specifically, when I want to turn on a rotating knob, typically I will look at it placing the blue cross on the knob, left click and while holding it, lift my head up which DCS sees as turning the knob. It's a pain but I'm used to it. This does not work using switches on the F16SGRH. I have no idea why.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can anyone recommend a good 20mm extension that’s compatible with the Realsimulator grip? My Sahaj extension doesn’t allow the grip to tighten down all the way.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

So I am now using the pinky switch right for the right mouse click and it works great. However when I tried using it or the TMS center press for left click, it doesn't work like the switch I use on my throttle for left mouse click. Specifically, when I want to turn on a rotating knob, typically I will look at it placing the blue cross on the knob, left click and while holding it, lift my head up which DCS sees as turning the knob. It's a pain but I'm used to it. This does not work using switches on the F16SGRH. I have no idea why.

I wasn’t even aware that you could also use your head to turn knobs like that. I’ll test this later, I assume this is in VR? Anyway since you have lots of extra buttons you can probably substitute with binding mouse wheel up/down for this purpose for now.

Heloguy- I had the same issue but found an inexpensive solution. To secure the stick to my VIRPIL extension, I purchased a metric size 4 "setscrew" and screwed it into the threaded hole in the collar of the stick. That tightened everything up perfectly.

Heloguy- I had the same issue but found an inexpensive solution. To secure the stick to my VIRPIL extension, I purchased a metric size 4 "setscrew" and screwed it into the threaded hole in the collar of the stick. That tightened everything up perfectly.

Thanks Platypus. I had actually contacted RS when I got the grip, thinking that I was missing a set screw since I didn't see one in there, and they informed me that it was really just for looks to match the actual F-16 grip. Based on that, I didn't think the hole was actually threaded.

I'll give that a shot though.

Edit: So that worked great, thanks again. Now the issue I'm having is that I may have a compatibility issue with my Brunner CLS-E. On the RS Grip, the left LED is solid, and the middle and right LEDs are blinking non-stop. No buttons register on the stick, and it doesn't seem to be connecting via Bluetooth.

I'm going to ask RS what the LED indications mean, but does anyone here know?

Edited by heloguy

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1