Xtal first impressions

stefew1966

For comparison this is roughly what PD 1.0 looks like;

20191105_15PD_1.0.jpg

And at 1.6 much of it is readable.

20191106_16PD1.6.jpg

20191106_17PD1.6.jpg

Thats looking worse than the reverb in some ways (I know hard to say with cell phone shots). How would you say the image is in the center vs the edges? Good all the way around? Better dead center and getting worse at the edges?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thats looking worse than the reverb in some ways (I know hard to say with cell phone shots). How would you say the image is in the center vs the edges? Good all the way around? Better dead center and getting worse at the edges?

I see a very wide area of clear picture when it's positioned correctly on the head. The extreme edges do lose that clarity though. And with the weight, if you are throwing your head around in a dog fight, it will move on your face, losing that sweet spot.

I've not tried the Reverb but from all reports it is the better option for wearability, and definitely for price. I suspect video to be very similar, but Reverb should be a little better. Reverb having 2160x2160 per eye at 90Hz and XTAL having 2560x1440 at 70Hz. VRgineers keep going on about their non-fractal lenses being superior, but I don't know how huge a difference that makes.

I'm looking forward to getting a base station. I suspect that will fix the loss of centre I sometimes get. And position tracking is very important for immersion.

And really looking forward to the planned visual improvements to the A-10C.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had another run with the Warthog after upping the visual distance to extreme. I can now see ground targets. Yay!

The centre drift is pretty bad using the built in tracking. It is always moving left when I turn my head back to what should be centre.

The inside edge is rather blurry. This distracts a bit. For example, when looking left to read a dial, the left eye sees fine but your right eye sees very blurry image.

I think I found a way to wear the giant cable that works for me.

This experience is getting better and better.