VR Headset Decision time

Darpa

It is VR headset decision time and I know many of you who use VR have been down this path and use VR for the same things I do (DCS/flight sims and driving sims mostly). So any comments appreciated and welcome. I, like most of you, want all the fundamentals - good resolution, as little SDE as possible etc. In addition my personal considerations are:

- Works with all existing SteamVR games

- No WMR based solution

- Money is not an issue

- High Quality audio

Given that I live in Canada and Index does not ship to first world countries :) I think that leaves me with a choice between Rift S and Cosmos. Cosmos seems to certainly have better specs but it has not been seen in the wild yet. So my choices are pre-order Cosmos, buy Rift S, or continue to wait until some real Cosmos reviews come out once it is released.

Well you are right, either Cosmos or Rift S.

Cosmos is new and not out in the wild yet, so no one knows if it will have some early bugs like the others have had. But it should certainly at least based on specs provide a better experience than Rift S.

Having said that, man I love my Rift S. Not the best for resolution, but better than my CV1 was, and I can run DCS on reasonably high graphics settings and get a very good experience. Don't have to lower my settings way down just to be able to not have stutters.

I do not know your system specs but that can play a large part also.

Rift S is very easy to set up, pretty much plug and play. And the dang thing just works great every time, no faffing about so I spend way more time flying than tinkering. Also tracking is great, along with the Touch Controllers.

One caveat: Audio strap is crap IMHO on Rift S. It has a headphone jack also thankfully. I use earbuds with mine and the sound is great. So if you care about good audio you will need either earbuds or headphones.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Your list rules out the Reverb (which I would say is the best in terms of visual quality) and the Rift_S based on the audio requirement.

The Index isn't available and the Cosmos remains an unknown, so a bit of a gamble.

Intrigued why no WMR, I think that is limiting your options given the above!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Valve Index comes to mind.
Not in Canada it seems!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

There are companies that will ship from USA to Canada. But the easiest way would be to go with the Rift S if you are not planning to do roomscale VR. Minimal difference in resolution, best bang for the bucks at present.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

It is VR headset decision time and I know many of you who use VR have been down this path and use VR for the same things I do (DCS/flight sims and driving sims mostly). So any comments appreciated and welcome. I, like most of you, want all the fundamentals - good resolution, as little SDE as possible etc. In addition my personal considerations are:

- Works with all existing SteamVR games

- No WMR based solution

- Money is not an issue

- High Quality audio

Given that I live in Canada and Index does not ship to first world countries :) I think that leaves me with a choice between Rift S and Cosmos. Cosmos seems to certainly have better specs but it has not been seen in the wild yet. So my choices are pre-order Cosmos, buy Rift S, or continue to wait until some real Cosmos reviews come out once it is released.

If money isn't an issue, you can always get an Xtal. :smilewink:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Some very worthwhile points made:

Don, Supuma… you have rightfully pointed out why I have just not gone directly ahead and pre-ordered the Cosmos. I know that while the specs initially turned me off the Rift S that many people, including yourselves it seems, are very happy with it for DCS. Hence my slight momentary dilemma

Baldrick… yes, a gamble indeed. In regards to WMR, I tend not to get involved in foundational technologies that I have no long term confidence in.

Eagle - Xtal, still don’t feel like I know enough for the uses I will put it to, but I wish the company all the luck in the world. I will follow closely

Re: Index not in Canada… Yes - Valve is good at software distribution but maybe not so good at hardware distribution :)

Baldrick… yes, a gamble indeed. In regards to WMR, I tend not to get involved in foundational technologies that I have no long term confidence in.
I lack your principles! I tend to see VR headset purchases as being fairly short term. It is going through a pretty good phase of development after a slow start and I can't see me keeping a headset anywhere near as long as my CV1, which I see as a good thing, I want the tech to develop quickly.

It is a very immature market, hardly a day goes by without a SteamVR beta upgrade and I was a bit dismayed today to see the stable version was updated today. It is just the nature of the beast so dealing with WMR to me seems a minor issue, if it fails to gain traction future headsets won't emerge using it but not really worried for the current.

I was warry of WMR too. I took the plunge and ordered a Reverb. I found the set up to be simple and usage is no more involved than it is using my Rift S aside from Steam starting up.

It's superior to the Rift S and the picture and SDE are excellent.

Yeah, I think WMR gets a bad rap. I was worried about when I got my Reverb, but setup was simpler than occulus, and while it has a few annoying issues its not bad.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

To buy Cosmos over the Rift-S you must be retarded.

The minimum difference in performances for double price. Come on.

If you talk about Reverb OK much better clarity what is important DCS but for 200$ more than Rift-S. Don't get me wrong in my opinion Reverb is worth that 200$ more but they are equal in performance per $.

Even Index is a much better option to buy then Cosmos. Cosmos is the most expensive performance per $ VR. Rift-S, Reverb, and Index are much better options than Cosmos.

I like the rift S, coming from the original rift which I found unusable in DCS I suppose it was easy to be impressed though. I was kind of interested in the index but am also from Canada so that isn't happening.

I like VR for regular VR games though too so I am wary of anything with shit controllers.

I was disappointed from the complete spec reveal of the new Vive Cosmos yesterday. It is surely better as the Rift S, but not in a single point better than the Index, Odyssey, Vive Pro, P5k+ or Reverb.

Most disappointing on the Cosmos, that it still got the same fresnel lenses and same old FOV. I wouldn´t expect the slightly increase in resolution to make a difference.

Vive´s marketing and actual ´innovation´on its product always appears like fooling around to me.

As an entry model for PC VR the Rift S is still most preferable.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

I like the rift S, coming from the original rift which I found unusable in DCS I suppose it was easy to be impressed though. I was kind of interested in the index but am also from Canada so that isn't happening.

I like VR for regular VR games though too so I am wary of anything with shit controllers.

I'm pretty sure companies exist to ship stuff like the index to Canada. I bet they will even send non-bagged milk :thumbup:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thanks m8 for defending my figurative and not offending expressions but let leave on this and not rais tensions.

:thumbup:

:pilotfly:

I take it "politically correct" language is something you might remember ;). It exists in the west too, just a bit different.

This is the exact decision i am trying to make atm.

I was leaning to the cosmos but the price here in Australia at $1299 is just too expensive.

I am going to go with the Rift S. Unless someone can convince me that the cosmos at twice the price of the Rift S is twice as good.

Looked at the Reverb as well, price in the middle of the 2 but my PC has a Vega 64, not sure how that will go with the reverb, don't want to spend another Grand on a better GPU and tracking is not as good as rift s.

This is the exact decision i am trying to make atm.

I was leaning to the cosmos but the price here in Australia at $1299 is just too expensive.

I am going to go with the Rift S. Unless someone can convince me that the cosmos at twice the price of the Rift S is twice as good.

Looked at the Reverb as well, price in the middle of the 2 but my PC has a Vega 64, not sure how that will go with the reverb, don't want to spend another Grand on a better GPU and tracking is not as good as rift s.

That is the beauty of the Reverb. Superior displays don't have a need for increasing clarity with SS/PD like it is with Rift-S or Cosmos so hardware requirements are the same with a slight advantage to picture clarity to Reverb.

For DCS usage only this is a major advantage over the competition.

That is the beauty of the Reverb. Superior displays don't have a need for increasing clarity with SS/PD like it is with Rift-S or Cosmos so hardware requirements are the same with a slight advantage to picture clarity to Reverb.

For DCS usage only this is a major advantage over the competition.

My use will only ever be for DCS or Xplane 11 is the tracking ok on the reverb for DCS?

Have read its not as good as the rift s.

My use will only ever be for DCS or Xplane 11 is the tracking ok on the reverb for DCS?

Have read its not as good as the rift s.

It won't be as good as the Rift S. However that doesn't mean that it's not good already. I have the Reverb and for my sim gaming it's never lost track, even when checking six. I don't room game so couldn't speak of its tracking for Beatsaber but you can google/youtube that.

If simming is the only thing you're gonna use it for then you'll be fine. Besides, nothing beats the res of the Reverb.